close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shotgun slug suggestion for small deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by -, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Guest

Hi all,

My cousin has been having trouble with WMD’s (Wildlife of Mass Destruction... CA blacktail deer) tearing up his mandarin orchards so he got a depredation permit from Fish & Game for two deer. Because his orchards border on built up areas (not complete suburbia, yet, more like “ranchettes”), Fish & Game said that high powered rifles are out, .22s or shotguns only... our opinion is that .22 is asking for trouble (and not as much fun in the carnage department), so he's asked me blast them with my Mossberg 590 using rifled slugs.

All my deer hunting has been with a .308, I’ve never hunted with slugs before. For those of you that have, can you recommend particular 12 gauge slug ammo as being better than any other, performance-wise on small deer at close range? I see no need to use 3” rounds because these deer are tiny, and they’ll be close, although I may try out a 3” buckshot round for the heck of it if I can sneak within 10-15 yards (which will be a piece of cake).

Thanks for your advice!

Backcountry

2. noway

noway

Any current available 7/8oz or 1oz 2.75" rifled slugs would do the job.

Buckshot should work in closer distance depending on size and where the doe/buck was hit at. You might not get immediate stopping results and have a harder time tracking them if you can't get on somebody property ( ranchettes ).

btw: The risk for overshooting & overpenetration the target is still high, but not as bad as a high power rifle due to the slugs greater and quicker drop. ( on avg like over 2 ft in less than 200yrds of drop is about normal ) That's the number one reason only .22 or SG are allowed.

{can you recommend particular 12 gauge slug ammo as being better than any other, performance-wise on small deer at close range?}

That depends on you and you're gun capabilities.The remington slugger and Brenneke M&P are two nice slugs that shoots straight and good for me.

P.S> I 've had bad results with winchester SuperX fosters in most of my shotguns.

Buy some and try them out.

3. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

[​IMG]

I have no problems shooting a 2-3 inch group on a paper plate at 50 yards with my 20" smoothbore Rem 870 deer barrel with the Rem 1 ounce Slugger rifled slugs, 2 3/4 chamber.

Inexpensive and available at most sporint goods stores like Big 5. Will drop any deer on the spot within 60 yards. Aim to break the shoulder blades.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My rem 870 has never been too picky on slugs. I was using it on deer when I was in high school so I just went with whatever was cheapest.

One of the best investments are some clip on rifle sights. I shot for a long time with just the bead. I killed deer, but the rifle sights are much better. Plus my gun always shot a bit to the left with slugs and I could adjust the sights.

I haven't seen much of a difference in slug performance between styles and brands. There have been differences in expansion, but they were all pulled from dead deer, so who cares. The shock delivered by such a heavy lumbering projectile is impressive. I've never lost a deer or had one even run all that far. Maybe 100 yards tops.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

In my Nova SP with ghost rings, using Remington reduced recoil slugs I can put one in a silhouette's forehead at 100 yards from the prone. Accuracy usually isn't the problem, it's the shooter flinching after he's fired more than one......... :)

The Remington slugs seem to do well.

6. noway

noway

The newer 7/8oz Remington hi-velocity sluggers load in 12ga are very nice and exhibits slightly less recoil. they shoot just as good as the 1oz version foster style. I think these things are moving around 1800-1900fps and I doubt a deer will feel the 1/8oz of difference.

Give them a try, you might have a hard time finding them so talk to you're local dealer and have him stock them.

7. vafish

vafish

I've used both the Remington and Federal el cheapo Walmart slugs in 2 3/4".

Couldn't tell the difference in performance.

With the 00 buck shot I'd say you can extend your range to at least 25-30 yards.