Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mossberg 930 Field model that I took it out this past weekend for some trap shooting with some first timers. In the past, I would just go to Wallyworld and pick up the 100 round bulk pack of Winchester Universal and the gun would always gobble them up and run flawlessly. This time when it came to buying ammo, I saw they had individually boxed Federal shells priced reasonably since they were out of my usual stuff and I picked up 200 rounds since I had someone else using my gun as well that day since they didnt have a gun of their own. At about midway through the day, I noticed after a shot that the Federal shotgun shell would seperate ripping the hull apart at the base from the brass when extracting, leaving the hull in the barrel and the brass sitting inside the chamber just bouncing around. With the bolt open, I could just reach in and slide the hull right out but it happened about 6 or 7 more times before we left. Is this a common issue with these shells? Could the gun have been running too hot or too dirty with both of us shooting it? Something else I should be aware of? I always disassemble and thoroughly clean my guns after each outing and everything seemed to be running fine otherwise.

·
The Regulator
57 Posts
Since you could easily pull the hull out by hand, I dont really see how any of that could be the fault of the gun.... My guess is it was the ammo.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'd definitely contact federal about this- definitely not right. The only time I've had that happen is with old shotgun shells with paper walls or heavily reloaded shells. new factory this is a bad deal!

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Too bad you didn't have any of the winchester ammo with you.

The real test would have been to try the winchester when the federal was causing problems. If the winchester works fine the problem is the federal ammo, if the same problem occurs with the winchester the problem is the gun.

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still have 2 boxes of the Federal from the same batch and a couple boxes of the Winchester stuff in the safe. Next time I go out I guess I will mix up the shells in the hip pouch I use for trap and see if it happens to either or both. I have run a few hundred of the Winchesters and that has never happened. I guess I can contact Federal but I doubt they will admit they have a problem.

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd definitely contact federal about this- definitely not right. The only time I've had that happen is with old shotgun shells with paper walls or heavily reloaded shells. new factory this is a bad deal!
Just left Federal an email. I doubt they will get back to me but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Federal low brass shells surprisingly haven't given me any trouble. Winchester Super X does just fine too. Winchester Universal gets stuck all the time, and I will not shoot it again.

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Winchester Universal gets stuck all the time, and I will not shoot it again.
That's kinda funny because I have never had a problem with it in my shotgun. I thought by getting away from the bulk pack that maybe the ammo would be a tiny bit better...not so true in my case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts