close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun or .22

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dan0076, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Dan0076

Dan0076 Special Member

I'm new to hunting and plan on tagging along with some friends to go deer hunting this season. This past weekend I sat through my first hunter education class. Very informative and not as bad as I thought it would be.

But now I want to make sure my son has the chance to get into hunting and I want to take him squirrel hunting. What is firearm would be best for this situation. Firearm would be used for plinking/target shooting during off season. Would a good .22 rifle be best or a shotgun (gage?)

Thank for you help.

2. noway

noway

both are adequate

22 pros
    low cost ammo or much loooooower than any shotshell
    low cost rifle
    no recoil or pretty much 0 in the recoil
    adequate for small-to-smallermedium size game only (IMHO)
    most 22 have alot of accessories

22 cons
    limited in the type and size of ammo to take
    ammo choice don't lead to great penetration on thick animals

shotgun pros

multiple shot makes it easier to take game at a respected range
    versitale same shotgun can do multiple functions ( dove/squirrel/deer/duck/etc.....)
    simple in design & easy to work on
    most common shotguns have a wide assortment of accessories

shotgun cons
    heavy recoil
    ammo is very pricey
    guns in pumps can weigh alot vrs a small 22 rifle

So get what you want & think you need. Only you can MAKE that choice. Both can bring alot of knowledge and makes fine weapons to learn on. If you plan on taking deer and to buy that one gun only, get the shotgun now. If you live in a shotgun only deer state/county then you would already have the gun to use. if you are not restricted in using a shotgun , then see the deer caliber thread below for suitable rilfes calibers for taking deer.

good luck in your decision.

3. ETG31

ETG31

If he can handle it I would go with a 20 ga shotgun. It can be used for pretty much anything.

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

i usually take my .22 viper but off and on i take a .410 with lead 6 shot

5. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond

6. vafish

vafish

I think you should start kids off with a .22 rifle and let them develop their marksmanship skills. Once they get the safety and gun handling down, then get them the shotgun.

You don't say how old your son is. I have 2 sons, and 8 year old and an 11 (almost 12) year old. The younger one carries a .22 when we go out for squirrels, the shotguns are still a bit too big, heavy and too much recoil for him. The older one usually decides to carry a shotgun (I let him make the choice if he carries a shot gun I carry a .17 HMR, if he chooses a .22 I carry a 12 ga.), currently a .410, but we're looking for a 20 ga for him.

7. akbound

akbound

Hi Dan0076,

You didn't mention either how old or what size your son is. And that may well play a part in what fits him. There are advantages to either the .22LR or a shotgun. And the idea for having a combination gun isn't really such a bad idea, though there are better combination firearms for hunting than the Scout. The triggers on them are usually very stiff and not conducive to good shooting, especially with young and/or inexperienced shooters. For a much better choice go here:

http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/longguns//overunder/huntingcombo/izh94words3.shtml
    and here:
    http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/longguns//overunder/huntingcombo/izh94shotgunriflet.shtml

Suggested retail for the combination in the first photo is $199., (though I suspect that it frequently is retailed at a discount). The combination with the .410 can be had with either a .22LR, a .22Magnum or .17HRM. It can also be had in different combinations of guages and calibers, such as 12 gauge and centerfire rifle calibers, or 20 gauge and rimfire barrels. The 12 and 20 gauge models sale for more. A very important feature of these guns is that by turning of a simple screw you can regulate the barrels so they both shoot to point of aim with your chosen loads. These guns are made in Russia and are of good quality, particularly for the price. More details can be found at the site.

Good luck!

Dave

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Rossi makes a switch-barrel .22/410 or 20ga I think..... nice little gun and perfect as an instructional gun. Single shot in either .22 or shotgun, you unscrew the front sling swivel and switch barrels.

9. angry goat

angry goat You're Weak!

A .410 is a great gun for a kid to squirrel hunt with. If it's going to be kinda casual, a .410 increases the chances he'll come back w/ some squirrels. If your actually going to sit and call 'em in, a .22 will do it but requires more skill and can be more frusterating for a child. Either way, I'm sure he'll have the time of his life.

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Maybe you've had better luck, but a friend of mine has one of these and damn if I could get that thing to shoot. The 20ga barrel was workable, but the .22 was plain horrid. I tried everything under the sun and it wouldn't do better than 6" at 50 yards. Maybe he just got a lemon.

Personally I would go for a CZ 452 .22lr. I bought one with the idea I'd pass it on to my nephew when he comes of age, but I'll need to get another because this one is mine. It's the American model with the straight stock. Decent wood, nice action and a good shooter. The fit and finish is better than the Savage and Marlin offerings in my opinion and the price won't blow a hole in your wallet.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Squirrel = .22 rifle. Head or shoulder/vitals shots.

If you shoot it, then you take it with you and skin it and cook it. You do not want shotgun pellets in your meat if you don't need them.

Do not shoot a .22 up into a tree. Wait for the squirrel to be on the ground, or low log, and for the area beyond to be safe for shooting.

12. Sharker

Sharker

I would think that the fundementals of shooting and sportsmanship would be better instilled with a .22
    They teach you to aim at a percise spot, and they leave a little for the table. Plus the fact that they are so resonably priced makes them a huge plus. I bought a marlin 25mn .22 mag, and that gun is pure fun to shoot, up there with my AR and hand guns. It also has no recoil, and you wont have a headache at the end of the day from the noise factor. What ever you do, be sure and encourage them so we have a future generation of shooters to keep us safe.