close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shotgun for skeet shooting

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FEDLEO, Mar 26, 2010.

1. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

I was at my brothers house the other day and he got out a thrower and a shotgun. Before it was all over most of the family was shooting skeet in the backyard. It was a lot of fun even the wife said she would like to do more of it.

Now the big question. What gun/chokes to get? I am thinking I might prefer a over/under 12 gauge. But I admit I don't know much about it so I thought I would ask. I have no intention of doing matches at least not anytime soon. So I will draw the price line at $1,000.00 so what do you think? Brand, model, chokes, etc.?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. space_weazel

space_weazel

$1000 will get you in to a lot of used Excellent guns, I asked this sort of question about a year ago, and most explored me to spend the money on a good gun and not regret it later.

I ran in to a guy at a gunshow with a basically new Browning Citori 30" fixed choke O/U for $700, I bought it on the spot.
    [​IMG]
    I used it for trap and skeet over the summer, and learned three things, 1) I loved shooting trap/skeet 2)This gun was a great trap gun 3)not such a great skeet gun.

So last weekend at the gun show another dealer had several used O/U guns on his table, so I looked through them and found a Winchester 101xt 28" with interchangeable chokes. I traded and will take it to the range in a few weeks.

So in summation I will suggest that you get a gun 28" long with interchangeable chokes in any of these models

Browning Citori
    Ruger Red Label
    Winchester 101
    Others will be named

3. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

I'm guessing here, but what you were probably doing was more closely related to Trap. Were the clays heading out away from you like most backyard setups?

Skeet involves birds coming towards you and away, as well as crossing in front of you from both left and right sides. It depends on the station you're at. It's a very high-speed sport, with clays thrown from 2 separate locations.

There are dedicated shotguns that are optimal for each sport; Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays. I would check out an actual shotgun range to see which of the 3 you prefer most before spending big bucks on any shotgun.

If backyard shooting only, whether with a hand thrower or mechanical, then even an inexpensive defensive shotgun will do just fine. FWIW- I was on the Team Panther Arms Trap team at DPMS when I lived there. Never really got into the other 2 sports, but have tried them several times.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

Ok, well based on that then your correct it was trap. :dunno: Still it was alot of fun and something I have never done before and I would like to find a shotgun to play around with for it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  5. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Any decent shotgun will do since your just doing this for fun.

For trap I use my semi-auto Charles Daly 20 Gauge. I also use a full choke.
    Sometimes I use my Mossberg pump 12 Gauge with a modified choke.

It's probably better/easier to use a different choke but not to too my own horn, I'm dang good at trap and too lazy to switch chokes so I just don't bother, lol. It would probably be better to try a different choke though.
    But any shotgun will work as long as you're having fun.

6. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I shoot sporting clays and skeet as much as I can. Lots of fun! I usually take my 12ga. Rem 1100 semi-auto with IC (improved cylinder) 26" barrel, I love this shotgun. My son always shoots with me and his 20ga. Rem 870 pump comes along. It's a youth model with redused pull (shortened stock) and a 21" remchoke barrel with IC choke tube. It's a quick pointing shotgun, great for skeet or sporting clays. I guess just buy what you like. The type of shotgun will not make you a better shooter.

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I use a Mossy 500 with a modified choke, and I've been laughed at at trap shoots. I've proved them wrong, as well. I don't compete in world class tournaments, otherwise I'd probably have a gun made for it.

Just remember, a fancy gun ain't s*** if you can't shoot it good.

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

For busting birds I prefer a semi-auto. O/Us look all fancy at the gun club, but aren't very forgiving on your shoulder after a few boxes of shells.

An improved modified choke in my Beretta 390 and I can shoot 250 targets without pain and still hit a good percentage of them, plus I'm not always bothering about barrel selection like with a double.

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

Got a mossberg 500 as well. To hell with what everybody else thinks.

10. Upstate Glocker

Upstate Glocker

I've shot all 3 clay sports for 25+ years, and think for occasional, recreational shooting you'll be fine with any 28" - 30" 12ga, either semi or over/under. Nothing wrong with a pump, and I have seen a lot of guys who are hunters and only shoot clays to get in practice for duck season use them, but if you aren't a hunter I'd stick with a double barrel or semi. If you get a semi, spend the $5 to get the little aftermarket doo-dad that attaches to the ejection port to keep the spent shells from flying at the guy in the next position over. You'll see 26" barrels for skeet but that's a bit short for trap. You'll see 32 - 34" barrels for trap but that's a bit long for skeet.

Unless you are going to specialize on trap, don't get a single barrel (like the BT99) since you'll want the flexibility of a second shot capability for skeet and sporting clays.

Choke tubes are a must (i.e., no fixed chokes) since for skeet you'll want a wider pattern and for sporting clays in between, whereas trap its up to the shooter but I prefer a tighter pattern.

In your price range there are lots of very acceptable guns. You should definately shoulder them before buying to see what you feel most comfortable with and naturally sight. Most of my friends shoot Brownings but I have never liked them -- I bought a used O/U with adjustable chokes and have been very happy. And, I agree 100% with the earlier poster that especially with shotguns there is little correlation between price and accuracy. For $700 you can definitely get a competition quality gun. Go with what fits you and feels good in your hands.

11. chevy01234

chevy01234

I usually use my Super Black Eagle and kicks high flyer choke. That is what I duck/goose/dove hunt with so I figure the extra practice won't hurt!!

12. space_weazel

space_weazel

I will add that most ranges that have open clays nights have both trap and skeet, and sometimes continental, sporting, ect.
    I so far have only ventured on to the trap and skeet ranges, and I think my current gun will work well for both, if you are going in it for fun and a little competition.

I also got a lot of people telling me to just go get any ole' shot gun, but I wanted an O/U and it's my money so that's what I got and I am quite pleased, I also don't find the gun to have heavy recoil :dunno:

When I found my citori hard to use on the skeet range I just grabbed my converted saiga 12 and slapped 4 round in the mag and went to town, that got me some looks but it got the job done, and that lead to a lot of questions.

My next goal is to get them to let me shoot skeet with a pair of judges, now that would be a challenge and fun.

13. moeman

moeman

If you go for over under for trap go 20 guage... The really good shooters use 410

If you go semiauto might as well go 12 guage.

I find this kind of shooting to be way more fun than a fixed target.

14. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

Buy a new Mossberg 930 auto for $400 and spend the rest on ammo. I've had mine now for 4 years and I can't get it to fail.

When I give lessons to newbies who don't have a gun, the 930 is soft shooting and reliable. I love my Remmy 1100s, all 10 of them, but the Mossy 930 is the best value of any auto IMO.

15. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

A .410 for trap? I think you mean skeet. I shoot a tubed Browning 525 O/U and use the 20 ga tubes 70% of the time. You are right about the .410, it's pretty much an expert's gun in skeet.

16. nky1129

nky1129

I used my Remington 870 12g. Love that gun. Bought it a coupla years ago for turkey season, but I end up using it more for trap.

17. dlupchurch21

dlupchurch21

We also shoot backyard trap with the family. I just got a Baikal o/u 12ga from buds for 434 bucks. It has the screw in chokes and 28 in barrel. We also use other guns like the rem 870 and mossberg 500 or 835. We are just out to have fun and only shoot each gun a few times before allowing it to cool and switch to another. Just buy a gun you are comfortable shooting, no point in buying a gun to shoot if you will end up not using or liking it.