close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shotgun barrrel length question

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by GMan30, Nov 3, 2003.

1. GMan30

GMan30

Which barrel lenght is better all around 26" or 28"?

I am getting a Beretta Xtrema to replace a Rem 870 Super Mag. The 870 has a 26" barrel and I found it quite easy to handle at that length.

I am going to take up skeet and trap and wondered if the 28" barrel may point a little better shooting clays. It will still be used as my general field hunting and waterfowl gun. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

trap guns are usually 28"-30"

i have a 28" barrel on my shotgun and it swings much better than a 24"

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

The only reason I can see having a barrel under 28 inches is if you’re going to be spending most of your time hunting in brushy areas.

General rule is; it takes longer to master shotguns with shorter barrels… it’s a sight plain thing.

4. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

For all-round use, I prefer a 28" gun.

5. noway

noway

I have the following 28/26/24/20/18.5" for my Benelli and I have one gun with a 34" barrel that I use on ocassion. All have their purpose and depdning on what and where determines what I carry.

Mainly the 26incher or 28" gets used the most.

6. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

I like the long barrels of 30 to 34 inches

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

My favorite hunting shotgun is my Beretta 391 20 guage with a 24" barrel. Tell the quail I've hammered with it this year that you can't hit with a short barrel. I'm doing much better with it than I ever did with a 26-28" barrel, and I'm faster with it too. Maybe geese with a 10 guage would make a 28" barrel the better choice, but not for upland birds. For an ideal compromise between waterfowl and upland, a 26" may be the best bet. But I'll stick with my 24" Beretta.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

PlasticGuy, I hunt with a Beretta 390 that also has a 24" barrel... it's in the 12-gauge flavor.

I did find the transition to the 24” barrel a little harder after running with the 28” barrel, on the same gun, for so long. It took some time but I’m just about where I used to be. The 24” barrel swings better for me then the 28” barrel ever did.

I can defiantly say that I've witnessed many new shot gunners achieving more hits with longer barrels though... it just seems to be the way it is.

9. MyT-FastDog

MyT-FastDog

Do you want a trap gun or a hunting gun? What do you hunt most of the time. What else do you hunt?

It is difficult to recomend unless we know exactly what you plan to do.

10. Mud

Mud

im the odd man out

i have shot trap and skeet and sporting clays even won champion in my class
    any way i prefear shorter bbls i like the 26 inch variaty for sport shooting and phesant hunting

and love my 20 bbl for pat hunting in the thicker areas

11. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I guess you guys will think I'm nuts, but I've tried a lot of shotguns over the years, but I'm back to my old A-5. Came with a 26" Skeet barrel, but I acquired a 22" Invector barrel a few years ago, and the 22" is what I typically take into the dove field. I don't play the clay games, but have given a lot of doves a few shots in the butt. I can't stand a barrel longer than 26".

My next-favorite is my 1100 Lt. 20 Special field with 21" barrel.

12. Mud

Mud

walter i love the way you think

13. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Ever look into the Beretta semi-autos?

They are the GLOCK of the gas operated shotgun world… I know you’d appreciate their simplicity… & no "silly" ;) O-rings either!

(I’m about to start working on an 1100 right now for an older friend… gun goes click but no bang, the O-ring is in ruff shape as well.)

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

That is exactly the shotgun that my father-in-law (a retired Game Warden) hunts pheasant and quail with. It's always him with his 1100 Special Field, and me with my 24" Beretta 391. Which one of us downs the most birds usually boils down to who is having the better day (luck?). The one thing I have noticed is that all of the 3" semi-auto's I've seen have required some break-in before they will reliably cycle 2 3/4" target loads. But since no one seems to make 2 3/4" shotguns anymore, there appears to be no alternative. That's off the topic, I know, but it is a shame in my opinion.

15. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Here's the history of the Special Field: Back when I decided to move to S. GA (Quail Capital of the World????!!!), and when I thought I had some money, I was shopping for "quail" guns at Franklin's Sports, in Athens, GA. Owner showed me an 870 Special Field. I didn't even know that the Special Field existed. I wound up buying three Special Fields, 12ga. 870, 20ga. 870, and 20 ga. 1100.

Having been away from S. GA for around 20 yrs., I didn't know that the quail population had been decimated over the years, and I've wound up using the 12ga. 870 for a little dove hunting. I recently sold the two 870's, but kept the 1100. I might sell the 1100, as I've probably never shot over a couple of boxes of shells through it and never use it.

As a I said, I'm back to the trusty Browning, that's never failed me in over 40 yrs.

Oh, before somebody "catches" me on this: The 1100 is my second favorite due to its handling characteristics, not because I've used it much. ;)