close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot timer

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by trlcavscout, Aug 24, 2011.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Looking for a pretty solid reliable cheap timer :whistling: I dont wanna break the bank but I dont want to have to replace it in 6 months either. What is the best cheaper one out their for personal occasional use?

2. hagan34

hagan34

in to find out an answer, also what were the timers being used in Greeley....

3. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Their were a few different ones in Greeley, I dont know which ones though.

4. SARDG

SARDG

Every GSSF timer I've seen (uh, 2 matches) has been the larger Competition Electronics Pocket Pro or Pocket Pro 2 - both of which store one single string that can be 'erased' with one button, by beginning another string. These are good because they have a lower frequency buzzer & I find the display easy to read. The Pocket Pro 2 sensitivity can be adjusted with a menu selection, which I find preferable to the screwdriver adjustment of the Pocket Pro. I have a Pocket Pro 2 that I personally like a lot and used it at the last GSSF match I attended. I've run .22 thru .45 handguns and .22 rifles with it and it works very well.

The small CEDs can store 10 strings and have a lot more features. There are only 2 problems with those... I cannot hear them AND I cannot see them. The frequency is high, up in the noise-induced-hearing-loss range - the type of loss that shooters sustain. AND the display is VERY difficult to read quickly with polarized sunglasses. Basically useless to me!

You can find specs and reviews for all these at Midway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. Mal55

Mal55

I've had good luck with my CED 7000. There are lots of adustments you can make on these i.e. volume, par time, sensitivity, etc. Mal

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a Pocket Pro II, bought it used here and it's worked well for quite a few years now.

7. SARDG

SARDG

Yes, that's the small, compact timer that many folks wear around their neck and that has many features including storing of multiple strings - very handy sometimes. Unfortunately, those like myself (and like many mature shooters) with noise-induced hearing lose, often cannot hear them sound - even at maximum volume. With electronic hearing protection, and the timer held an inch from my better ear, I am usually okay when shooting - but when I RO I cannot use these because facing the 'buzzer' at the shooter, close to their ear means it isn't facing me or close to my ear.

Other than that, I find the display more difficult to read quickly while wearing polarized sunglasses - those like my prescription sunglasses.

I would highly recommend the CED7000 if you have perfect sight and hearing and don't plan to get old and don't ever have to run anyone else with it. :crying:

8. MajorD

MajorD

I understand there is also a smart phone app where you can download a shot timer

9. jdwatson

jdwatson

I've been looking at the Pact Club Timer III. I like that I can replace the battery. Rechargeable eventually wear out.

MajorD: Surefire has an iPhone app. It works ok, but with hearing protection on it's not easy to hear the BEEP.

10. SARDG

SARDG

We have a couple at my club. The display isn't difficult to see with polarized glasses - it's IMPOSSIBLE. (well, nearly so - much worse than the CED 7000) Am I the only one who uses polarized sunglasses any more?

The Pocket Pros run off of 9V replaceables.

11. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

If you have a smart phone like an iPhone or Android there are some shot timer apps out there. I use one named "IPSC Shot Timer" that works pretty good once you configure the sensitivity pretty low. I set mine at a 10.

12. jdwatson

jdwatson

I haven't tried it. My range glasses are clear and non-polarized. Good catch and info. I've got my eye on a pair of Wiley-X LA (light adjusting) glasses.

13. SARDG

SARDG

I'm a mariner and have to see down into the water occasionally - ergo polarized glasses. Can't see displays at gas pumps either, without tilting my head. Bummer.

14. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I have an LG Ally and I have downloaded 4 from app store and Brian Enos and none of them work on my phone :steamed:

15. jdwatson

jdwatson

I hear ya. Sort of the opposite as a pilot, to avoid the disappearing display with the avionics I've had to opt for non-polarized sunglasses. I do miss the glare cutting of polarized. I have a pair polarized that wear for driving, love them !

16. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

I found another one but it would die as soon as you pressed the start button. This IPSC Shot Timer works great on my Motorola Droid 2.

17. dukeguy

dukeguy

I use the IPSC Shot Timer Pro app on my Android phone. Seems to work very well once you get it set up correctly.

18. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I have a pocket pro 2. I bought it off ebay for $111 shipped. It has served me well for about 4 months. Been dropped several times but seems rugged and shows no signs of wear or cracking. Adjustable shot sensitivity is nice. Especially for glock matches where stages may be going in close proximity to each other.

19. mike g35

mike g35

I use the cheap little CED timer and it works great. It doesn't store 1000 strings but is that necassary for practice? Either way it works for me.

20. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I am tempted to download it, but at $9.99 and no refunds I cant find anything saying it works with the Ally and it has mixed reviews, some say it works some say it dont work at all?