Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which timer and why? Looking for a timer that allows Par time practice. Looking for something reasonably priced or something on sale.

Can you make a recomendation? Looking at a Pact MKIV, the CED 7000 or the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I haven't got one... yet; but am looking closest at the CED because it has ten string memory. That way you can shoot the drill ten times and see if you are improving.

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
All the timers you list are good timers. We use the pocket pros at work. They are good meat and potatoes timer; very tough and a nice loud buzzer.

Personally, I have a CED 7000. It has every feature I'll ever need and some I will probably never use, but they're there if I need them. It's not that complicated to use and it's very compact, light and the internal battery lasts forever on a single charge.

I like the option of a normal and soft buzzer volume. The only thing I wish it had is an option for headphones like the ced 8000 so I could use it for dry fire while wifey's sleeping. I was torn for a while, but I'm very happy with the 7000. The speedtimer I had previously would only allow par times in .5 second increments which doesn't allow alot of flexibility and progression with your dry fire routine.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't got one... yet; but am looking closest at the CED because it has ten string memory. That way you can shoot the drill ten times and see if you are improving.
Hey Jim, long time. In full discloser I actually have an older Pact MKIV and I love it. It has the Chrony and training modes. You need one with a par timer so you can do dry fire drills. I was doing some Steve Anderson dry fire drills with a friend tonight (http://www.brianenos.com/dnld/steve_sample.pdf) and when we were done, he said that he had to buy a timer. I said that I would help him figure out what is the latest hottest, best deal right now, so that is what prompted this post.

Many people don't think of training with a timer, but I was at the range tonight for 3 hours and I shot 25 rounds of live fire. We would run the drills from Steve Anderson's book: Refinement and Repetition, then would live fire a few rounds to confirm the new skill level. We both got a ton of training for very little cost. I get bored doing dry fire by myself, but at the range a few others took notice of our training session. I just don't like going to the range, aiming at a target and burning rounds without actually working on improving my skill set. A timer is a grand training aid and my friend realized that right away. With ammo costs so high it won't take long to recoup the price of the timer with dry fire drills.

Rick

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speedtimer I had previously would only allow par times in .5 second increments which doesn't allow alot of flexibility and progression with your dry fire routine.
On the Steve Anderson drills most are done like this:

No timer, slow motion
Movement only no trigger press
Press trigger .2 above your base time
Press trigger .1 above your base time
Press trigger at your base time
Press trigger .1 below your base time.

You will get to know what your base time is when you fill out your log on your times. The point is to burn in the drills movements and then push your time faster and faster until your base time actually changes.

Have to have the ability to change par times with .1 of a second. Pact and change Par times to .01 seconds. So you can set a par time of 1.15 seconds if you want.

Rick

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So anyone see any good deals anywhere? If you feel more comfortable sending a pm, that is cool with me.

Even though the Pact MKIV is larger the ability to have a Chrony too is very nice indeed, IF you don't already own a Chrony.

Those of you that own the 7000 or 8000, how loud is the buzzers. Can old guys hear it just fine?

Rick

·
Scottish Member
13,201 Posts
So anyone see any good deals anywhere? If you feel more comfortable sending a pm, that is cool with me.

Even though the Pact MKIV is larger the ability to have a Chrony too is very nice indeed, IF you don't already own a Chrony.

Those of you that own the 7000 or 8000, how loud is the buzzers. Can old guys hear it just fine?

Rick
Only one shooter I regularly shoot with has a problem hearing the CED 7000. He has quite a bit of hearing loss. He can still hear it when you hold it on the side with his "good" ear, about 2' away. I don't think is much different regardless of the timer used.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Budy bought the 7000 from Midway. Thanks for all of the votes everyone.

Rick

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have the CED 7000 and a Pact Club Timer IV. The Pact is tough, mine having been completely submerged in water once, and timing shots again 3 days later. The CED is nicely featured, and the soft beep IS a bioon for those of us who dry fire.

With either of those two, you can't go wrong.

·
2,319 Posts
Only one shooter I regularly shoot with has a problem hearing the CED 7000. He has quite a bit of hearing loss. He can still hear it when you hold it on the side with his "good" ear, about 2' away. I don't think is much different regardless of the timer used.
We have a guy like that. Have to tap him on the earmuff with the timer at the same time you push the button.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.