Shot the Draco!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Mar 25, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I had some time today so I took a mag pouch with 4 30rd. mags, an extra 30rd. mag and the 10rd. mag that was in the gun up to the range.

Now I had all Wolf ammo but JHP/FMJ/Polymer coated/Laquered.

So I set up a target and stood about 10-15yds away and opened fire.

This is a fun little gun!! It handled great! It didn't really kick that much. ZERO jams/feed issues. It ate every round and spit out every shell with no problem.

I know some people said that are rediculously loud. So I put on a set of ear plugs and a set of muffs. I can't say I felt a shock wave of noise or anything like that. But I suppose without both of those it would have been a little louder than a normal AK.

As far as the famous fireball, I did see some pretty big flashes a few times...in daylight, but it was real fast and didn't really prevent me from getting a good sight picture/follow up shot in. I don't know whether I'll put a fh on it or not.

In terms of aim, it was giving me some NICE groups! I'd say probably 3-4" groups through aiming. From the hip, once on target I was able to do 6" groups easily.

One thing I will say is that after two mags or so it got HOT! I accidentally touched one of the nails going through the furniture in the front and burned myself. But after 5 mags, I had to set it down and let it cool off. Now if I was wearing gloves it probably wouldn't have been a big deal but still...got rediculously hot!

I tried using needle nose to adjust the front sight but that didn't work. I guess I have to buy myself a sight adjustment tool. :dunno:

Now I got mine to get around my state's ban on carrying long guns in vehicles. It's for my GHB to give me a little extra ooomph if need be.

But to anyone considering getting one, if you can spare the $350 or so...I'd highly reccommend it!! It doesn't give you the same grin as say a S&W X-Frame...but it's pretty close...and LOTS more bullets!!

I might spend (waste) the money and get a drum just for s**** and giggles!

Please feel free to ask questions, other than for pics. But I'll do my best to answer them for you. :)

-Emt1581

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Any idea what velocity loss you get from the short barrel? I'm leaning toward liking this setup.

At first I thought it was the dumbest thing around, but with a good sling I bet you could really rock and roll with it.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I felt the same way!! I thought they were a pointless novelty. Counldn't be further from the truth!! This is a great gun!

As far as velocity loss, off hand I can't say exactly but it's not significant IIRC. The AR pistol loses a LOT more velocity in it's bullet than this does. That's part of what made me go with it. It retained most of it's velocity compared to the AR which lost most of it's velocity.

I would buy with confidence. A sling/stock really isn't a huge loss with this gun. It handles really well and had good accuracy just as it came out of the box.

-Emt1581

4. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKMEISTER*

Those Drakos are a steal for the price..
    My Buddy bought three of them & hasn't even fired one yet but they were too cheap to pass up for $329.99 @ Centerfire Systems in Versails Kentucky..
    They are currently on Backorder but they'll come threw with another batch very soon, they always do.. Here's the Link..
    Drako 7.62x39 Centerfire Systems
    [​IMG]

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

That's where I got mine. Their page says backordered and either they are or are not taking backorders but when I called up they said they WERE talking backorders so I got on the list, placed my order and within a month or so I had mine.

Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned!

Plus with their shipping deals, I added a Saiga 7.62x39 for .99 in shipping.

As you said, too cheap to pass up.

-Emt1581

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Hopefully M2 will chime in, IIRC he's chrono'ed an AK pistol, along with an AR and Kel Tec .223.
    I want to say the AK pistols still hold around 2000fps with the 122-123gr boolit.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I actually asked about it in a "caliber corner" thread so if you search my name and 7.62x39 you'll probably find it.

M2 does have a lot of info on AK pistols though.

-Emt1581

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

7.62x39 holds way more velocity from a shorter barrel than a 5.56 will.

7.62 does the Draco well!

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

emt1581 that pistol is a ball isn't it.:supergrin:

I'm guessing my AK pistol barrel is longer than the Draco, 11 inches.

Some of the chronograph readings are,

South African Cheetah 123 gr FMJ = 2224 FPS
    Old Chi Com copper wash FMJ = 2210 Fps
    Wolf 122 gr FMJ = 2214 fps
    Wolf 154 gr JSP = 2054 fps

The nine inch barrel Kel Tec PLR is,
    Wolf 62 gr FMJ = 2387 FPS
    Black Hills 55 gr JSP = 2514 FPS
    WWB 55 gr FMJ = 2514 FPS

Both guns will make a large hole through 1/4 steel plate but coming out the back the .223 is just dust, where as there's still a good size hunk of 7.62x39 bullet exiting the back of the steel plate.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

So the .223 actually sends a faster bullet...but it's less than half the weight which means double the ft. lbs. right?... otherwise it looks like the .223 is "better" than the 7.62x39... :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Both lose velocity but both are still impressive from those short barrel guns.

I guess you could say the 7.62x39 is capable of doing more damage than the .223.

I doubt anyone is still going to be moving after taking either round in the chest.

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah I agree, but I was led to believe that the AK pistol was significantly more powerful in a shorter barrel than the .223 in a shorter barrel and that the .223 lost a lot more velocity....but from what you shared, the opposite sounds true. :dunno:

-Emt1581

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

EMT the 7.62x39 is only going around 2600-2800 fps out of a rifle. The amount of energy from a bullet double the weight going only around 150 fps slower is going to be quite a bit more. I don't remember the equations to do it, but the x39 is much more formidable.

14. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

God only knows where this thread is headed now? :whistling:

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That's the old light fast bullet, heavy slow bullet argument.

Kind of, What do you think will more reliably kill you? Being hit by a motorcycle doing 100 MPH or a bus doing 70 MPH?
    It's something to talk about but in the end the results will be the same.

If there is any practical difference between the AK and .223 rounds, it's that the AK round can go through a hard barrier and still be deadly. The .223 hits hard but in effect "blows up" on the barrier.

This is what the 7.62x39 does to a couple one inch boards placed one inch behind the 1/4 inch steel. Look at the size of those two holes, the size of the case. Best I recall the other two holes are .223.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the size of the mushroomed bullet in the left hole.
    [​IMG]

This is what the .223 does to a one inch board placed one inch behind the 1/4 inch steel shot with the.223.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom line, I'd hate to face a competent shooter that is armed with either a AK or .223 pistol.

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

If your state banned carrying long guns in vehicles, how do you transport one?

17. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

The 5.56 is highly dependent on velocity.
    It's does the most damage when the bullet is traveling over 1700fps at least. The 7.62 is built for making a big hole, lol.
    It has great penetration but it doesn't make it a more powerful round.

They're both powerful but in their own way.
    The weakness of the 7.62 is it's accuracy at ranges over 200 yards.
    The weakness of the 5.56 is it's dependency on velocity and fragmentation.

The 5.56 is faster and smaller which is desirable in a rifle IMO.
    Slower and heavier is more desirable in a handgun.

But I'm not discrediting either round, they're both great but no where near identical and that annoys me because people are always comparing them.

If all you really look at is the size of the hole that it leaves then 7.62 wins hands down but when you factor in a successfully fragmented 5.56 then the 5.56 wins hands down. So you really have to decide what you like best.

Personally, I like 5.56 better but just by a little bit.
    Mostly just because it's more accurate out to longer ranges.
    But if I lived somewhere else where there were trees and penetration was more important then I would definitely change my mind and pick 7.62.

18. J_Rico

J_Rico

I have been successfully talking myself out of one of these for months. Stop saying nice things about the Draco!

I do not need to spend any more money right now.

Could someone please post something derogatory about the Draco?

19. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

The Draco IS significantly more powerful using M2's numbers.

His numbers give the Draco 1327 ft/lbs KE and the PLR 771 ft/lbs KE.

20. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

It is an ugly firearm...

:wavey: