Shot placement on a coon?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by XMM, Jul 5, 2007.

1. XMM

XMM Guest

Hi all. :)

We've had raccon problems at our house again. They've been dumping over our potted flowers about 2X/week which is a huge mess and frustration for my wife.
    I set a live trap baited with Cheetos (yummy!!) last night and had a coon in there this AM. I shot him in the head with a .22lr rifle while still in the trap from about 50 feet away because I was worried about the bullet hitting the cage and ricochetting. I hit him pretty solidly (I think) but he flailed around in there for so long that I shot him a couple more times.
    I'd prefer the quickest kill possible and was wondering if there's a "sweet spot" on a coon. I'd like to 12-gauge him but I don't want the people down the road to have to wake up to a shotgun blast at 7am, plus it would surely ruin my trap.

Thanks!

2. Bitmap

Bitmap Millennium Member

I take it this is a Have-A-Heart type trap - a box made of wire mesh with a trap door on one end set off by a foot lever?

I tried killing a critter in one once and had the same results you did - hard to shoot through the wire without clipping the wire and then just injuring the animal.

What I started doing is using a shotgun. I don't shoot into the trap, I open the door and shoot the critter as it runs away.

To avoid bothering the neighbors maybe you can you leave the critter in the trap for a few hours until everyone is awake?

3. XMM

XMM Guest

Thanks, Bitmap. :)

Yes, it's the Have-A-Heart type of trap as you described. We both had leave for work early this AM and I really didn't want to torture the poor thing by leaving it sit in the trap all day long.
    I did think about shotgunning him as he left the trap, but again, the noise factor.
    I think from now on we'll leave the trapping for Friday and Saturday nights, then I can Mossberg 500 him at around 10am as he leaves the trap. Much easier on my conscience than having to shoot him a bunch of times with a wimpy .22

Thanks again.

mj9mm likes this.
  4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

and shoot it right below the ear.

22 short.

5. vafish

vafish

Want a quiet solution?

Fill a trash can with water and drop the have-a-hart trap in the water.

May not be as humane as a bullet behind the ear, but it's no less humane than poor shot placement.

AK_Stick likes this.
  6. XMM

XMM Guest

:shocked: I'll give you a point or two for thinking outside the box, but man, I dunno if I could do that. Eeeep!

7. noway

noway

Why does one think a OOS is always the final answer? Just like with humans one 2,3,4, rounds might be needed. Just keep shooting till the deed is done.

FWIW:
    But a shot with the head is the right area.

A rodent trapper would use is a CO2 chamber aka euthanasia chamber. A trapper like myself would place the cage in tact in the chamber, seal it up and add the gas.

Quick and painless for the animal. It's displacing the O2 with C02 and pretty much suffactes the animal. The animal doesn't know what's happening and pretty much fall asleep and never ever wakes up.

8. glockawakka

glockawakka

works everytime for me. just be sure to tie a rope to the cage before you set it up, might get bit pickin up the trap.

If that bothers you and you don't have any pets or children, go to the agway and buy domitrol (sp?). it's wheat that they inpregnate with rat poison, put a dish with a few kernals where you find the coons, they eat it run off and die. But it's something that might not work for everyone.

9. vafish

vafish

Just don't look them in the eye as their little heads slip slowly under the water and you'll be fine.

Oh, and coon's can hold their breath for a while, not as long as rats can, but you may want to go get a cup of coffee and read the paper for a while just to make sure.

AK_Stick likes this.
  10. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

lmao! I have no remorse when it comes to killing pesky vermin.:thumbsup:

11. Bitmap

Bitmap Millennium Member

My only problem with that is that most of the critters I've caught in those traps won't sit still. When you get close enough to shoot through the wire they start running back and forth and bang into the wire and I've never had much luck putting them down quickly. Skunks are the exception. They sit still but I wouldn't want to shoot one from within spraying range.

I like this idea. Put the cage in a 55 gallon drum. Put the lid on with a slight gap on one side. Hook a hose up to the exhaust on your car or lawn mower or tractor (you may have to be creative to get this to work without burning your hose). Put the end of the hose in the drum and turn on the motor for a few minutes. The exhaust is heavier than air, right? Slip the hose out and put the lid on tight so a breeze doesn't disturb the gas.

My grandpa used to use that method on gophers. He hooked one end of the hose to a piece of pipe that would slip over the stack on his tractor and he hooked the other end to a long metal funnel that he would stick into the gopher hole. Turn on the tractor for a few minutes and no more gopher.

12. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

Years ago I tried to dispatch a rogue tom cat in the dark with a

.22 pistol. The bullet ricocheted off the walkway and hit my

wifes car . Im still hearing about it years later!

Use a hav a heart trap by all means!!

:upeyes:

mj9mm likes this.
  13. suckersrus

suckersrus Guest

If you are in California -- reason with him while he is still in the trap. Explain the problems he is causing and promise to put some coon food out for him if he will promise to behave himself.

After he has calmed down, reach into the cage and get him. Hold him gently against your chest (so he can feel the warmth of your body and the beating of your heart). Being a furry woodland creature, he will respond in kind to your friendliness.

If you are in a southern state, you should build a pen to keep him in. Feed him table scraps for a couple weeks, pop him 'hind the ear with a 22, then skin and bake him for 2 and 1/2 hours at 325 degrees. Serve with corn-on-the-cob, tatars, and cornbread. Oh, and beer. Don't fergit the BarBQue sauce.

14. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Paw & maw just hollared. HELL YEAH!!:eat: :drunk:

15. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Use a bigger gun. If you are discharging a firearm around your house you are probably in the country. Let the little bastard have it. Up here we handle business with an '06 (my FIL) or 45/70 (myself). Shoot what needs shooting, call the sheriff and tell them who we are and what we shot and then any calls about gunfire (which the UPers are used to) are handled properly. Killing animals is pretty easy. Except opposums. Thems are mean little bastids that do NOT play dead.

16. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto Guest

.22short behind the ear is perfect. Tilt the trap on end so the animal can't pace back and forth. He's at the bottom of the trap, place a .22 barrel through the cage and pull the trigger. That's how my dad does it with his Hav-A-Heart traps and racoons.

17. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Does anyone else find it humorus about how to kill a critter in a "have a hart" trap? Somehow I don't they thats what they had in mind when they designed them.

18. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Ironical, ain't it?

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You can release someones pet with out harm.

20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

With that kind of trap you can release a neighbor's pet without harm.