close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot in my first GSSF event yesterday and did terrible!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lbm, Sep 17, 2006.

1. lbm

lbm

I shot in my first GSSF event yesterday and did absolutley terrible!

Shot the plates section first and was so nervous that I missed about every other plate and took forever to finish. Had never seen the targets before, hadn't shot outside, let alone in front of several people. Calmed down somewhat by the time I shot the M section but was still nervous and my problems were compounded by a weak round, shocking that it wasn't something I did, that caused my G17 to not cycle. The guy's from the Livingston Gun Club had a brief discussion and allowed me to reshoot the station. Hustled off to the car, got more ammo, hustled back, since I'm a senior shooter my heart was pumping but I was allowed to reshoot the stage. Thanks guy's!

While I'm sure I will place last in my class I loved it! Everyone was great! The Glock person, from Milwaukee, was great and looked over my G17. I had cleaned it the day prior with a cleaner mentioned hear, but being such a new shooter I didn't shake it up enough and basiclly soaked the gun in oil. The man from Glock told me to blast it out with my air compresser, which I now have done, but even in the condition that I had it in my Glock shot great.

I had a Wilson combat sight on it when I shot but have now gone back to the Trijcon front and rear sights. My problem isn't equipment but rather nerves, new to the targets, distances, several people watching, beeping timers, and just being too excited. Wilson sights are great I just stink!

Met a couple of very nice guy's, one from Western Michigan, South Kent Club, and another from the Racoon Hunters in Romulus. Learned a lot. Watched a young man shoot the plates in 3.xx seconds, three times! Loved the entire day!

Thanks Glock, the GSSF, and the Livingston Gun Club!

I'll be back next year, but you can bet that I will be practicing a lot before I return.
    lbm

Glock 17
    Colt Gold Cup National Match .45
    Browning Challenger .22
    Charles Daly O/U 12ga.
    Remington 2-742 30'06's
    Mossburg .22

2. Deputy Carder

Deputy Carder

At least you entered! I'm scared to even go! LOL

Don't worry about your performance, I'm sure you did fine. I absolutely expect to suck when I go. But we'll both get better with time! :supergrin:

3. mike23

mike23

I would suggest joining a range or taking a NRA pistol class.

I know the Livingston Conservation & Sportsmen Club is offering classes this fall. It's located right up the road. You'll get some good instruction and gain a lot of confidence!

4. lbm

lbm

Detroit Sportsmans Congress is very close to where I live and might be a great place for me but I don't know anything about it.

5. j1133s

j1133s

Well, the main thing is did you have fun?

I remember my first steel challenge match, also my first time shooting out doors, drawing from holster, shooting non-paper targets, under timer... lots of interesting "first time" experiences. The key was that it was a lot of fun and I didn't worry about my performance.

I've never shot a GSSF match yet, but plan to do one soon.

6. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

Congrats on shooting a GSSF match. I have never been off to go to a match. Someday I hope to take one in from what I hear they are fun.

7. todddr

todddr

I shot my first GSSF match last June. Did terrible. Also not used to being 'on the timer,' having people watching, etc. I can shoot the eyes out of a snake at 20 yards when on my own, but rather sucked at the GSSF, but I had a good time. Also, heard about the whole USPSA thing at that match, and got in to that now. So, my wife's not happy, but I am. I can shoot a match almost every weekend now in my area if I want--what a life!

8. racine

racine Millennium Member

When you win your first prize check or that first free glock then you won't feel so bad then. Just focus on safety and having some fun. That's what GSSF is for along with familiarity. There are some guys that do it for the prizes though and those guys are a load of fun to watch.

9. zenwolf

zenwolf Member

Don't stress it. The whole point should be going out there and having fun. Scores and prizes should be secondary...well, at least scores should be.;)

Look at the bright side. If you really did so bad, then you can only get better.

Good luck and good shooting.

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've shot alot, GSSF, IDPA, and USPSA and usually i don't get all that nervous. the truth is most of the people in line aren't really watching and don't care how well or how bad you do. same goes for the ROs ,they're watching out for safety problems you might have not how well you preform. GSSF is by far the best competition to get started on. you'll find it cheap and easy to get started and the shooters as friendy or more friendly than most you see at competitions. i shot brighton on saturday and on the plates had a few friends and fellow shooters watch me. that makes me a bit nervous but from what i've seen i think it's the quickest run in an amature class this year, we'll see if it holds.

11. Broadside

Broadside

The great thing about the GSSF matches is that the person who finishes last in American Civilian (usually me) has just as much chance of winning a prize as the person who finishes eleventh. After tenth place in American Civilian, prizes are distributed at random and you have a one in four chance of winning.

Just go out and have fun! :banana: :pepper:

12. Lady27

Lady27

It's ok, cause we all shoot differently under pressure than we do at home. I just shot my second match in Missouri. And I screwed up big time on the five to Glock with my 27. I shot it faster than I should have and dropped three shots off the back target and two off the twenty. Really, I was shooting a tad low on all of the targets, so penalties were adding up. But I must have been spastic on the back two targets because they were all over the place. And five total misses is fifty seconds lost. I could have taken my time and made pretty little shots with lovely trigger squeeze and lots of patience. I could have stopped to blow my nose and comb my hair and then make calm steady shots. I would have still come out ahead as long as they were all on.
    I had some failure to extract problems with the 17, but eventually figured out that it was my grip hand. Not high enough on the back strap. It often isn't the gun, you know. They let me shoot over, cause they called the time while I was trying to clear the jam, not knowing that I wasn't finished. The range master didn't hear any more gunfire so he said to clear guns and put them on the table. That made it their error. And then the Glock armorer who had been watching me shoot told me to get my hand higher on the back strap so that I wouldn't have any more failure to extracts. So I got to shoot it again, thankfully.
    People are very nice and I learn a lot about the stuff I really need to work on. If you are a novice like me that would be a pretty long list. But it's good to have goals.

13. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Don't sweat it. I'm lucky I have a really good outdoor range not to far from me with really nice people running it and really nice members. It's not about being the best. It's about having fun. I've only shot 3 matches so far. I haven't done that great in any yet. But like you I'm still getting used to drawing fast, running to targets, and shooting out of my comfort zone.

But I'm glad I do it. Because it simulates real world emergencies better than standing still shooting paper. Stick with it and try to find a place you can practice all of those things on your own time.

PS. Some people at the matches will probably give you pointers if you just ask.

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Regarding GSSF, there are always shooters any any match willing to help you along. There is also a thread called "Tips from the Pro's" in our GSSF Forum.

15. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I would suggest joinning a team to assist you in the good and bad times you can have at matches. IndyGlockers was formed a couple years ago by shooters that did not each other until they started saying hello and getting to know one another...I've found GSSF to be very friendly and accomodating.Your scores will get better because the Team will gently push you to better performances...You will share time other than the matches in E mails and possibly a supper or two before or after a match.

I can relate to the high's and low's of performance this year...and choking at the table ..I had a 239.xx at Marietta and then have shot a 88.xx now at Brighton...the nerves disipate but you still feel the adrenaline,with time and confidence the scores and solutions will come.

Getting back to Teams....we've had a gentleman who shot a 57.xx and a 54.00 I believe at Brighton this year...last year his score was almost double that....he probably is the most improved shooter in GSSF today and he has posted in this thread.

If you would like to shoot with some people at a match we have about (6)people in the Midwest that can accomodate you and show you some of the ropes...just pm me.....EDE....E.R.R.....Glockess56....or OLdman....there is a match in Lexington the weekend of October 28/29 th if you are interested. :supergrin:

16. mike55

mike55

The nerves are natural. Find every opportunity you can to compete in any of the other gun games and you will eventually get control of your stage fright.

Be honest now. You really loved the adrenalin, didn't you?
    mike

17. lbm

lbm

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I plan to watch an IDPA match at Detroit Sportsman Congress on Sunday.
    lbm

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Just keep shooting. My wife's first GSSF match was the 2004 Lexington match and her score was over 1,000 (yes, she could have beat that without hitting a single target). Her second, after shooting IDPA once a month between GSSF matches, was the 2005 Lexington match and she shot in the 130's. I wouldn't be surprised if she breaks 100 seconds this year.

Try other types of matches like IDPA so you can shoot more often. Just remember, IDPA values speed over accuracy, compared to GSSF, so slow down at the GSSF match.