close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot a socom 2 .........

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Thrillhouse700, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

I have been researching for my next gun that I will buy once I become employed again :( Being laid off is the worst time to catch the bug I know.
    Anyways, my buddy and I went to burro canyon yesterday to sight in his AR scope. I look over and see a guy pull out a socom 2, it was love at first sight.

I have been reading up on these guns for a while now and decided if I ever have the money I will own one. During the line break I asked him where he got it and how it shot so on and so on. We got to talking and he told me I could shoot it after the line was hot again.

So I shot a mag through it and had the biggest ***** eating grin on my face. I am 100% in love with this really expensive gun. I have heard of a lot of guys on this forum rave about the m1a and never thought I would have the chance to shoot it. It is heavy and thus reduces muzzle flip (compared to my friends AR). It looks SICK, accurate as hell with just iron sights.

So if the guy that let me shoot his gun yesterday is on these forums, thank you again you made my week.

I do have a couple questions....
    I have read a bunch of threads on here about them and you can get a few diff configurations. Springfield arms is a good manufacturer from what i understand.
    My question is do they even make them anymore? Or are they just really hard to find, because no gun shops have them.

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

I am pretty sure they are still making them. I have the SOCOM 16 which is the same as the Socom 2 minus the rails. I love everthng about that rifle other then the cost of .308. I still need to shoot it sometime in low light. Mine is still stock from SA no glass on it. I imagine it can put on a good show during dusk/ twilight with the short barrel and the comp on the end.

I plan to add a full size M1A. They also have the scout model that is 18" barrel vs. the 16". If you only plan to have one varriant of the M1A you should at least consider the scout as a in between the two sizes.

3. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

I was looking at the JAE-100 stock, will that only fit the full size seeing as how its more of a sniper/marksman stock? I LOVE how this stock looks.

Guys I got it bad, my brain won't stop thinking about it until I buy one and that never ends well haha. Luckily I don't have a wife, and Im smart enough not to use my back up savings during unemployment.

4. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

How old are you?

You NEED to get your brain thinking about a J-O-B...

:tongueout::supergrin:

5. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

Hahaha yes I know, I'm a 28 yr old out of work automotive technician, jobs are pretty sparse right now. I'm not dumb enough to buy another gun while unemployed.

Had a great interview last week and hoping to hear back from them.

Have had some very bad awful offers before that tho. Sad thing is many employers right now are low balling the unemployed. I've had 2 offers that were far less than my unemployment pay. I was making close to 28/hr at my previous job and the two lowest offers were 18 and 14.

Just getting my research in on my next gun that I will buy once I have a stable job. After I pay off my CCs and truck :)

6. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

18 bucks an hour sounds better than ZERO an hour. Just sayin'

7. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

true but I'm on unemployment and make at least that. I'm not going to just settle for some mediocre job. The job I just interviewed is basically the job I have wanted for some time now.

8. eddief4

eddief4

good luck with the job hunt, and ya i have had an M1a on my "to get list" for a while:supergrin:

9. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

LOL... I admire your unbridled optimism. Not many folks on the unemployment line can open up the paper, look at the way things are going and say, "Damn... I want an expensive rifle so that I can blaze 7.62x51!!!"

10. dwg94

dwg94

I just this week got a Socom 2. My first 308. It looks like it is built like a tank.

11. hoffy

hoffy

I love them both. I lucked out big time both times and only paid 1100$OTD for the standard(bout 10 years ago) and 1250 for the Scout a few years later, they ordered too many. I would look at the ballistics of the 16 inch barrel. Typically you loose 100fps per inch give or take but that is just a rule of thumb. Go too short and though you can use heavier bullets, you might be getting not a whole lot above 7.63x39 . I can hold my scout at the wrist of the stock and with my arm down the muzzle does not hit the ground. If memory serves me correctly with the SOCOM they had trouble with the short barrel and getting the correct gas impulse but I think they got it sorted. I have a 2x aimpoint with a 2 moa dot and it shoots well out to 300yards +, it would do well farther but i have it zeroed for 150, the longest easy distance I can get where I shoot. I would suggest getting a buffer technologies recoil buffer, not really necessary but can't hurt and they are cheap.

Good luck with the job hunt. I would guess that mechanics would be in demand as people are driving their cars longer in this horrid thing they call an economy. But I understand the lowballing, an idiot in a car destroyed my motorcycle , his fault and they lowballed me serious for the bike and they are going to faint when they see my medical bills, happened in may and don't know yet if I will need surgery on my spine. :wavey:

12. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

That's the rifle I'm looking at too.

13. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

You seem to think I'm going to go out and buy one right now. Don't know if you read the part of my first post that said "When I get a job."

This hobby is really the only thing keeping me from slipping into boredom and depression.

14. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

Got ASEs? They help with job security!!!! Not that it's any of my business but how'd you lose your former job?
    ASE L1 Master tech

15. G23c

G23c

nice, I need the SOCOM 16.

16. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

Yup got ASEs 3 or 4, I was a Mercedes Benz Master tech. I took ASEs in case I ever lost my job just because they don't pertain to Mercedes in one bit haha. Lost my old job because we had 100+ techs and most of us were working on 1 car a day and they downsized.

17. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

You might also look at the Scout/Squad. Pretty much the same rifle, but 2 more inches of barrel (18") so less likely to lose velocity to the point that it might just as well be a 7.62x39mm, and a really effective "compensator" that also "just happens" to be a primo flash hider. Mine is boocoo reliable and will hold 2" @ 100 yards with just about any fair quality ammo.

18. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

yeah I really like the scout.

19. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

100+ Techs?!?!?!?!?!?!???:faint:
    I only got my ASEs so I could get raises:rofl:

20. mixflip

mixflip

I lusted after the SOCOM II ever since it first came out. I am still having a tough time affording one so I built a 22lr version. To get me by for a while.

[​IMG]