close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shot a G21SF today

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Andy W, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Andy W

Andy W

I went to the range today and rented a Glock 21sf. I must say I absolutely loved the way it shot. The first thing I noticed is how soft shooting it was compared to other .45s I've shot in the past, which include the M&P .45. I kid you not, it felt almost like I was shooting 9mm. There was a little more of a push but that's it. Ammo was 100 rounds Indpendence 230 grain. Another thing is that, even though the grip was a little large for my hands, I shot it better than any pistol I've ever fired before, even after not shooting for 3-4 months. This is really weird because I've owned and shot other Glocks before. I was easily putting rounds in a hand size group at 10 yards, not to mention all the steel I knocked over in rapid fire. If I didn't already have a Sig Sauer P226 on order, I'd be buying a 21sf next week. I had no idea Glocks .45 ACP models handled this nicely.

2. bac1023

bac1023

3. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Another shooter addicted to 45acp Glocks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

:cool:

5. Andy W

Andy W

The only issue I had is that I had several pieces of brass come back and hit me in the head. I don't know if was because the extractor was dirty or what. Other than that I have only good things to say about this gun. Gonna have to look at the gen 4 too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

My first gun was a glock 21sf. It is my nighstand gun when I stay at home. When I stay at my parents like I am tonight I use my cz75bd for that.

7. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

Oh God no....not the 45's too:wow:

Andy, i also recommend you rent a Springfield XDm 45 (if its available)

for the past several months i have been debating between a G21sf and an XDm.......

wen't with the XDm and am totally satisfied, a great gun....

the deciding factor for me was the grip....the 21sf is still too large for me to get a comfortable handle on......

the XDm is perfect, and has an adjustable grip inserts......

and i like all brands of guns from Berettas, Glocks, Springfields, etx:wavey:

8. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

this is a very good point. granted i shoot my 21 better than any other gun I own..but that is because of sheer familiarity with all of the time I have behind it. its like an old boot to me. It just fits.

With that being said...I have tried the xd45. VERY good gun. If I had to describe to someone, it would be a polymer, striker fired 1911. I would highly recomend taking it for a spin.

9. Glock40man

Glock40man

10. Dbltapglock

Dbltapglock

deleted

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. 21o'glock

21o'glock

Great that you like the .45. It's probably the best caliber in autos with the .357 being the best in revolver. Recoil is a non issue in any .45 and the Glocks are able to negate recoil to a greater degree. I've seen small women shooting 454's & the 500's so recoil from a .45 should not scare anyone away but unfortunately it does. Perception is very deceptive. "Lay down, pull the trigger and it will stand you up.":rofl:

Hope to see you in the ranks of the .45 world.
    21o'glock

12. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

you sir, have a fantastic forum name. Then again...I have the 21 bias.

13. Andy W

Andy W

The problem with the XD series the high bore axis, which results in increased muzzle flip, making the weapon a little harder to control and attain quick follow up shots. Other than that, they are great weapons.

However, I wouldn't think it would be a big enough difference to make the gun unuseable.

What I can't figure out is why there was so big of a difference in percieved recoil between the 21sf I fired today and the M&P45 I fired last spring. As I typed earlier, the 21sf felt almost like a 9mm while the M&P felt like it wanted to jump out of my hands everytime I fired it. I was also flinching so bad that day I could barely keep it on the paper at 7 yards towards the end. Ammo was the same both times. Independence 230 grain FMJ.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  14. DaBurna

DaBurna

It's NEXT on my Glock Wishlist.. I'm trying to decide if I'm getting a Gen4 G21 or a Gen3 21SF model... I could've bought a LNIB Gen3 21SF w/ nightsights installed for $529... But I've got some $$ tied up in a a few other stuff right now... Hopefully here in a couple of months I'll own a G21!!! Love my G30SF!!

15. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Get a gen 4. The new recoil system is perfection in larger caliber glocks. Plus you get a new grip texture and extra mag to boot.

16. Andy W

Andy W

Would a gen 4 without a backstrap installed be roughly the same size as the 21sf grip?

17. teamhex

teamhex

Just bought my first Glock the other day and it was 21sf. My buddy who has a 19 tried to tell me it would be to much recoil, but it handles really well. I'm really digging it.

18. Andy W

Andy W

Definitely not too much recoil, especially if you use proper grip and stance. Actually, I find the .40 S&W much less pleasant to shoot.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  19. wchamilton

wchamilton

I own both the 21sf and the 35.
    My ten year old son wanted to shoot my glocks a couple of days ago so to the ranch dump we went, shooting with a rest out the front of the mule he was breaking bottles out to 50 feet without trouble.
    He shot the 35 better because the grip fit him better and I have also reduced and smoothed the trigger pull a great deal.
    He said that that the 21 actually shot softer for him, but he did have trouble with the brass dinging him in the forehead.
    I personally feel that this comes from a weak wristed grip, brass from it lands behind me and approx 6 to 8 feet to my right.
    Every single time.
    Only explanation I can come up with to be honest, but if anyone thinks a 21sf shooting 230 remington HP is too much recoil I have a ten year old son who would disagreee.
    But he did tell me that I had to will him my OD frame 35.
    We went out last evening and snuck up on a little bunch of pigs, he wanted to try one with the glock instead of the 243 so I said why not.
    He really impressed me with how he handled it and the control he showed, snuck in to about 30 feet and he missed an off hand shot, dangit.

I am thinking it might make a heck of a B-day present in a couple of years..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  20. PBone

PBone Glock 21

Greta guns! I carry a G21 as my duty weapon and love it.