Shot a banded dove yesterday

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 357glocker, Sep 11, 2004.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

Went dove hunting here in Southeast Nebraska last evening. Esox357 and I got 7 doves between the two of us in less than three hours. Probably should have had a few more but some of the shells must not of had BB's in them;) One of the doves we shot had some jewelry on its leg. I called it in and I'm going to be getting a certificate with all the info for the bird. I'm pretty excited, I've never shot a banded or tagged animal before. It was a good hunt and the weather was nice to go with it.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My dad shot a banded drake mallard once. What they sent him was pretty interesting. Where the bird came from, how old it wass, migration patterns, etc.

3. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I caught a tagged Smallmouth Bass once in the St. Joe river near my house. When I called it in the flunky on the other end could not have cared less. Quite dissapointing. At first he was like "Oh, ok thank you." and I asked him if he wanted the tag # and info then he tells me, "Ok sure, I suppose I should get that.

:steamed: I am glad they are doing what they are doing too bad all of their help does not feel the same way.

Guy could have been having a rough day too I guess.

4. noway

noway

{I called it in and I'm going to be getting a certificate with all the info for the bird. I'm pretty excited, I've never shot a banded or tagged animal before. It was a good hunt and the weather was nice to go with it.}

when you get the information, upate us as to where the bird was banded at. A neighbor shot a banded pintail that was banded in Canada and he never called it in. He did keep the leg band for calls lanyard.

5. 357glocker

357glocker

Sure will Noway.

I was trying to think of some things to do with the band. Some way to put it with the certificate would be neat. Any ideas?

My brother in law shot a banded duck a few years ago in Sioux City, IA. The info said the bird was banded in Alaska! Quite a flight.

6. noway

noway

Put in in a picture frame with the certificate and flatten the band out. I know a guy that was a pelican lover, that did that with a band from a pelican.

btw: He had a Pelican picture in the frame vrs a certificate

7. terlingua

terlingua Senor Member

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

9. Blah!

Blah! Guest

I have killed a several banded birds. Most of them killed in the refuges. The most interesting one I killed was a lesser snow goose that was 5 years old!;P certificate says it was hatched in 1994 or earlier, banded in 1995 in Churchill, Manitoba I killed it in Thornwell, La in 1999. That bird made the long journey several times so I respectfully refer to him in the story as “The General”
    ;?

10. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I waonder if they have anytype of inferiority complex...;P

11. 357glocker

357glocker

I got the certificate back the other day. The bird was hatched in 2004 and banded on 7/27/04 in St. Mary, Nebraska. I shot the dove less than 5 miles from St Mary so he wasn't very well traveled at all, and won't be seeing Mexico in his lifetime!

12. noway

noway

Fly 5 miles away and get your ticket cancel. ;)