Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just lack finishing up
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that a shorter barrel will give up some velocity relative to a longer barrel, I'm thinking I might as well go with a heavier bullet. Specifically, in my G26 I'm carrying 147 Winchester Ranger jhp. Figure this load will give the better penetration and any expansion is just a bonus.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
I carry 147g Gold Dots in my Sig P239 and Glock 26. Many prefer +P 124g projectiles in shorter barrels. I consider that the 147g projectiles are designed to expand at a lower velocity to begin with.

I like the heavier bullets. I don’t count on expansion to do anything, if it happens great, but real criminals aren’t made out of ballistics gel.

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see bullets pulled from quite a few murder victims, or recovered at the scene outside the body. Most were FMJ, but I have never seen a JHP that expanded like the examples pulled from ballistics gel. The only time I see criminals shooting JHP is when that’s what was in the gun when they it was stolen.

The ones I have seen either failed to expand, or deformed. Some deformed slightly, and some deformed greatly, and unevenly, but none expanded uniformly like the ones pulled from ballistics gel.

Just my opinion based on a limited number of real life examples. I typically stay out of the caliber and JHP debates because people passionately love expansion, and think ballistics gel is the end all be all test for projectiles. I am sure many here are going to disagree with my opinion, and that’s ok.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Given that a shorter barrel will give up some velocity relative to a longer barrel, I'm thinking I might as well go with a heavier bullet. Specifically, in my G26 I'm carrying 147 Winchester Ranger jhp. Figure this load will give the better penetration and any expansion is just a bonus.

Thoughts?
Penetration is a result of the stoutness of the material, and speed of the projectile. If penetration is your goal, run 115 extreme penetrators from underwood.

slow, and malleable reduces penetration.
fast, and non-malleable increases penetration.

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts

Thoughts?
I use 124 gr. in my 9mm reloads but I don't carry 9mm for my EDC. In my G27 (.40S&W) I carry 180 gr. If I did carry 9's I would probably go with the 147gr. better penetration like you said.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts

Thoughts?
A) Heavy sub-sonic bullets loose less velocity from short barrels.
B) New high tech JHPs expand at lower velocities.
C) In my hands, heavy for caliber rounds are softer shooting and group better.
I'm running 147 gr Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T-Series in most of my 9mm guns.
Have switched to Federal HST Micro 150 gr in my Ruger LC9S Pro (My most carried 9mm).
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

·
20,730 Posts

Thoughts?
I think you're on the right track but another way to make up for velocity loss is to go to a Plus +P load.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...hst-jacketed-hollow-point-p9hst4-p-58558.aspx

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
I picked up a box of Federal HST 150g today for my G26.
I'm not convinced with gel either. I would think, as stringy and elastic as our bodies are inside, a bucket of wet rags and elastic would be more telling.
The FBI report of the police shootout where many rounds of .40 call Speer Gold dot penetrated less than one inch still troubles me to the point I carried FMJ for years. The perp didn't stop until the M4 came out.

·
woo woo
31,366 Posts
I still distrust heavyish jhps from short barrels in auto pistols, at least if expansion is important. I'd rather have a middleweight with good velocity in 9mm.
In a .38sp snubby I can go heavy with a soft lead blunt nosed hp that will expand or at least cut a deep full caliber hole, but even a good jhp needs velocity and 147gr is dipping into the 800fps range in 3" guns.
I agree though..penetration is the cake.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The one guarantee of bullet/load performance is..... there are no guarantees!

This showed itself several weeks ago when I shot a doe 44 yds away with a 44 magnum Revolver. 180 gr hp bullet @ little over 1700 fps.
Deer was angled away from me so I allowed for that to put bullet through vitals. Did not go far after shot but was surprised to find bullet exited further back than it had entered !

Gel is not my preferred test media, real flesh and bone (legally hunting) is ALWAYS best IMO.

Varmint hunting is first test stage and if a bullet /load passes it is used on larger game if legal.

From my personal testing , larger bore size equals faster incapacitation using same bullet design per caliber.

Have not tested all bullets/loads but ... IMO any HST load will do well.

When I carry a 9mm it is stoked with 124 +p HST's.

The most devastating load I have used on varmints is 180 HST, NOT trying to start a cal. War!!!!
Any HST will do what needs done in my book.

I recently tested the Lehigh bullet in 9mm...... the sample I had was very poor quality .
They gave more pressure with less performance than a lead core jacketed bullet. This being from the all copper construction.
They was VERY inconsistent in accuracy and velocity. This led me to measure the dia. Of the remaining bullets I had .

Of the dozen or so I measured 2 was .355 dia, couple @.3545 ,most @ .354 and one or 2 @.353.
The dia. Issue explains the inconsistent velocity and accuracy, jury is still out on the wound channel/performance of bullet as have not tested as of yet.

IMO a hard cast WFN bullet is needed if penetration is what is needed/wanted.
A good WFN design of correct hardness and velocity will generate a wound channel comparable to premium hp with penetration of what bullet weight/velocity is capaple of.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts