Shortening the Smith PPK/S beavertail tang

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hogship, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I probably would have never done this if it hadn't been for hearing so many complaints about the length of the Smith beavertail tang......but, since I've got a pretty well equipped home shop, I decided to try it.

I started out by pushing some paper towel into the recess behind the hammer. This was to keep grinding dust out of the interior of the pistol. For the same reason, I then used plastic electricians tape and wrapped the entire pistol, leaving nothing exposed, except the beavertail itself.

After these preparations, I used an 8" 80gt disc sander to remove the original beavertail tang.....and do some preliminary shaping. I left just enough of the tang for the bottom of the hammer to be in contact with what was left of the beavertail......I don't want any pinched hands! I then used some 100gt emery cloth and smoothed up the newly exposed surface.....this operation was done by hand. To finish up, I used a mounted 120gt flap wheel. This produced a pleasing matching surface compatible with the original polishing as came from Smith. I did try a polishing wheel with rouge, but that left a really shiny surface that didn't look so good....because it was much shinier than anything else on the pistol. After that experiment, I went back to the 120gt flap wheel and used that for a final finish.

It looks good, and I'm pleased.

Here's a before and after picture, so you can judge for yourself about how much material was removed.

hogmeister

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. uncut

uncut

looks good.....:banana:

3. Andrewsky

Andrewsky