Short ride today

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Texas T, May 7, 2005.

1. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Went out for an intended short ride of 100-150 miles but actually finished up with 325. Rode some FANTASTIC FM, RM, and County roads today that I hadn't been on before.
    FM - Farm To Market
    RM - Ranch To Market

Unfortunately I forgot to start the GPS for the first half of the ride so I wasn't able to capture all the different roads we were on today. :(

Here's a GPS recap of the second half of the ride...

2. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades

What make and modle GPS do you have. I like the info that one gives you?

3. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

It's the Garmin eTrex Legend. It's small and hand-held although there are brackets for mounting it to round handlebars as well as 12V kits. Mine just sits in the tank bag.

Once it acquires the signal I usually put it inside the tank bag as the screen tends to black out if it's exposed to the sun constantly.

I primarly use it to find out where I'm at when I go on one of those "let's just ride and see where the road goes" days, and I download my tracks to my Garmin MapSource so that I have a record of what roads I've been on. It's really too small of a screen to use it for directions while you're under way.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Garmin also makes a GPS for BMW specifically for motorcycles as well. I'm going to have to check with my dealership about its particulars, though I don't think that it works the same way as a navigation system in a car - not that I know too much about car's nav system in the first place.

My question is this: if I were in an unfamiliar area and were to want to find a restaurant or whatever, can I do that with a motorcycle GPS?