close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Short Range Day

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by GlockWheeler, Jul 15, 2017.

1. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I had the opportunity to go to the range after work this evening and it was pushing 100 degrees. I took one of my Wasr-10 AK' s, one of my AR15 carbines with BCM M4 upper, my new M&P Shield 9mm, Gen 4 Glock 17, Sig P320 Compact 9mm, my two Tisas 1911's and lastly, my homebrew Beretta 92 frame with a 96 ejector and a 96FS Vertec upper.

WASR-10 - My first AK and I have liked this rifle from the first shot I fired. It has a an Ultimak rail with a Primary Arms Red dot. I fired 150 rds through it today and had zero issues. It is more accurate than I had expected and it is, a 2014 manufactured rifle.

AR15 carbine - First shots fired, 150, no issues and was able to get it zeroed using a Vortex Sparc Red dot and a Magpul MBUS after six shots. Nothing earth shattering.

M&P Shield 9mm - I will say up front that I am very pleased with the way this pistol handles recoil. For me, it is considerably more comfortable to shoot than my friend's Glock 43 has been. For me, accuracy was mediocre, but I need to shoot it a bit more to get a good feel for it.

Gen 4 G17 - I'm not sure why, but I think I shot the worst I have ever shot with any Glock I have owned. Pretty disappointed in all honesty. I will be spending more time with this pistol to see if it's just me. Not what I expected.

Sig P320 Carry 9mm - I like the way this pistol fits my hand after I installed A large Carry grip module and rubberized grip. I have found that I have the same issue with this pistol as I did with my Beretta PX4 Storm 40 S&W and that is constant trigger sting. I believe it is due to the fairly heavily curved shape of the trigger, specifically near the tip of the trigger. I tried repoitioniing my trigger finger several times, but the sting was constant. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about it. I like the pistol, but I'm finding that isn't overly fun to shoot with this issue.

Tisas 1911's - I have swapped out a number of parts on these two budget 1911's and recently refinished them in a two tone, black slide, silver gray frame using Alumahyde II. Both pistols functioned perfectly with 100 rds each.

Homebrew 92FS/96 Vertec - I shot better with this amalgamation today than any of the other pistols I took with me. I was actually surprised at how well this pistol shoots. I fired 150 rds through it with perfect functioning.

Overall, it was about a 50/50 mix of good and mediocre results for me today. I'm pretty disappointed with how I shot the Glock 17. I have owned every generation of this model and for whatever reason it and/or I did terrible today.
    I am going to spend much more time with it during the next few weeks and see how it works out.

fnfalman, China boy and 6Actual like this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Cool :cool:

Thanks for the report...

3. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

The X5 model is suppose to have a flatter trigger. Might want to try that. Or, perhaps an Apex unit.

4. 45caldan

45caldan

Is your P320 a newer model?
    I was under the impression that they have addressed that issue as it was a common complaint.
    You can tell a newer one as it has a flatter take-down lever and a flatter slide stop as well than the original.

5. Old School

Old School

A bad day at the range is better than...a whole lot of other stuff. I know what you meant about the heat.

6. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

This one is an LE model and it has the older style takedown lever, older style grip module and appears to have the adverse trigger, based on pictures of both style triggers. I may try an Apex flat trigger and see if that helps.

7. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I was able to return to the range after work today and took the P320, Glock 17 and the Shield 9mm with me. I installed an Apex flat faced trigger on the P320 to see if it would eliminate the trigger sting I was experiencing. It didn't completely eliminate it, but it definitely reduced it to a tolerable level. As a result, I found that I was able to shoot the pistol far better than I had previously. This P320 fits me very well and I am pleased with how well I shot it. The Apex flat faced trigger is a pretty big improvement in trigger feel for me and it increased the trigger pull weight noticeably. I found this to be a good thing for me. I will say, that it has a little more muzzle flip than the Glock 17. Not a lot, but I did notice it a bit.

I have had an issue with the trigger safety on my new Gen 4 17 in that it protrudes farther out from the trigger face than any other Glock I have owned. I found that there was also a pretty sharp burr in the slot where the trigger safety rests in the trigger. I removed the burr as well as removed material from the face of the trigger safety to the point that it was flush with the trigger face. This completely eliminated the issue. I also shot way better with the 17 than I had on my previous range trip.

I ended up firing 150 rds through the M&P Shield 9mm (Speer Lawman 124 grain FMJ). I really didn't think I would like this pistol a whole lot when I got it, but I have to admit that it is way better for me than I had thought it would be. Zero issues and it really handles recoil better than my friend's Glock 43 and Ruger LC9. I am surprised how accurate this pistol is for it's size. I think next week I likely take my West German P226 and my old Italian 92FS Stainless out and see how they do, as I rarely shoot them anymore.

8. oldmick

oldmick

Grayguns (Bruce Gray) makes a great flat trigger called PELT. It also reduces the weight of the pull. Just another option to consider.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I'm glad it's not me seeing this on the newer Glocks. I know it's an easy fix, but you shouldn't have to do it.

Quade likes this.
  10. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

This is the only Glock I have had this issue with. My Gen 4 G21, G26, and G23 do not have it. Must be an anomoly?

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

My Gen 4 19, 23, and my 43 were all sharp and uncomfortable to shoot. Older models, never noticed an issue.

Quade likes this.
  12. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

13. rfd339

rfd339

Thanks for sharing.
    Still a cool range day even at 100.

14. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

Another trip to the range yesterday after work. This time, I took my West German P-226, Beretta M9A1, Gen 4 Glock 21, my older G30 and my KSG.

P-226 - I have had this pistol several years and have always found it to be a great shooter. Not this trip. I recently installed a set of E2 grips and a Gray Guns PSAIT trigger. I was all over the target and this is far from normal with this Sig. I suspect that the E2 grip, while quite comfortable, may actually be too small for mitts. I had a hard time keeping a constant grip on the pistol. I will install the full size standard grips and take it back out on my next trip.

Beretta M9A1 - One of my least fired pistols. I installed a set of thin Wilson Combat grips, low profile Wilson single sided safety/decock levers, Wilson 16 lb chrome silicon hammer spring and a Beretta Elite II style hammer. This Beretta works very well for me and the trigger is quite a bit better than stock.

Glock 21 - I really have not shot this pistol a whole lot and bought it about three years ago, but I shot it very well yesterday. As far as accuracy is concerned, I shot this Glock as well as my G30 more accurately than my P-226 or M9A1. Not what I expected. To be honest, I seem to have been shooting my 45 ACP chambered pistols better than my 9mm models.

Glock 30 - I have owned this G30 since around late '97 or early '98. It has been with me since the Clinton days and has yet to have any issues. I have always been impressed with the accuracy of this particular G30, as it is actually more accurate than any other 45 ACP chambered Glock I have owned. The two G30S pistols I have tried just didn't have the overall accuracy this one has. I carried it for almost 15 years and I am thinking that perhaps I should just go back to carrying it.

KSG shotgun - I love this blaster. I really do. Due to my wheelchair use, I have not been very good at using a shotgun since the length of a typical shotgun puts the weight farther out in front of me and causes balance issues. This KSG is perfectly balanced and i run it well. I had some Federal low brass shells and have heard that these can cause issues with the KSG. I found it to be true.

I fired 50 shells in total. For whatever reason, the first tube of 7 had extraction issues every shot. Surprisingly, the remaining 43 shells had perfect function. I have had zero issues using taller brass shells.

Next trip, I intend to find out what my issue was with the P-226 and I think I may zero my KSG using slugs. Hopefully it doesn't take too many shots to zero it:ack:

15. Quade

Quade

I have that exact same issue with my G43, if you don't mind, specifically how did you flush yours down?
    I think about this a lot but always worry I'll mess up and then have it worse or not work at all!
    Thanks!

16. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I used a very fine rounded file. Not sure why the newer triggers are like this. I went very slow and kept checking it so that I just got it flush with the face of the trigger.

Quade likes this.
  17. Quade

Quade

Cool deal, thanks!
    I'm not sure why so many of these triggers are like this either, the Glock Armorer at a local gun store said he's lost count of how many times he's had people complain to him about it.

18. China boy

China boy

Nice range reports. I'm not sure how I missed the first post. Maybe I'll keep an on going range report too.

I have been pleasantly surprised with my 9mm Shield as well. Makes me want to go forward with the 45 before the 2nd rebate ends, if I can find a good deal.

I can shoot a Glock like a laser and then 1/5 range trips I completely suck. Ugh. I feel sometimes I can shoot any Glock between my knees with a mirror and impress anyone at the range and then randomly have a range trip where I hit the target post. Good thing about Glocks though, its like dating two girls with the same name. No matter which variety you take out they shoot very similar.