close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shoppin'

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by dbotos, Dec 2, 2006.

1. dbotos

dbotos

Looking for a little input on what to get. The wifey and I popped our motorcycle cherries with some dinosaur '82 Kawasaki KDX450 dirt bikes that we had when we lived in Wyoming. Got hooked on street bikes after riding (and getting our licenses on) a friend's belt-drive Kawasaki LTD 305. Also rode another friend's Honda (think it was a CBR600), which then got us hooked on sport bikes. Looking for input on:

-engine size. 600+? Wife and I are both ~6',180-215 lb. Don't want to be wishing for a bigger bike later, but don't want to be riding a cow either. Riding will primarily be to work (5-10 mi, no crazy traffic), going on weekend fun rides, and learning to do a wheelie without killing myself. :supergrin:

-brand. Stick with one of the big three? pro/cons of each. other brands to consider?

-new/used. I think really the only reason we'd go new is to finance if we didn't have the change to plunk down all at once. Any tips on buying used?

-other. Anything else to consider / think about?

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

First and Foremost go to a Training school(basic) to get you started!
    Go to Motorcyclist Mag. Web Read and Copy 50 Things that will save your Life. No Kiddin!.
    One of the bikes I Ride is a 03 Suzuki Sv650 . Outstanding in traffic
    Handling/ Braking ,and acceleration. Of All the bikes I own /ride , this is one of the best town bikes(rides at or less than 400 miles in one day. And will haul ***.:)

3. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

I picked up the 03 SV in Dec. 04 with 1006 miles on it for $3000 and its a hella of a bike. Some folks just have to have New. This is the time of year to GET one. Good luck and ride SAFE.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, there's 600 and then there's 600-cc engine. There's a big difference between a V-twin 600-cc standard and a inline-4 600-cc supersport (as in Honda CBR600).

A standard V-twin 600 (as in Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki Ninja650) ain't no slouches at 70+ horsepower. A supersport 600 will put out over 100-HP at the rear wheel. That ain't no chump change in anybody's books.

Secondly, buying used is tough. You can buy used at a dealership and get some warranty with the bike(s) but then you'll get anally raped too with the prices. Or you can find a small mom&pop motorcycle service/repair shop and see if they may have something for sales on consignment. Usually a record of services and maintenance would be nice to have. At least you'd know that the bike is well taken care of.

As far as brands go, it's pretty hard to beat the Japanese brands. They make great bikes at reasonable prices, not to mention aftermarket accessories out of the wazoo.

You want exclusive? Then it's gonna cost a lot more.

So, I'd suggest that you and your spouse figure out how much you two want to spend and what kind of riding style you two want to do and then we can help you out. Otherwise, it's a shot in the dark.

5. dbotos

dbotos

That 50 Ways was a good read - I'll have to share that with the Mrs.:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0608_50_ways/

That $3k sounds like right about what we're looking for per bike. I have no problem with used. I have a well used 1990 300ZX with almost 200k miles on it that runs great thanks to some TLC by me and some aftermarket goodies. Any model year to stay above when looking at used?

6. dbotos

dbotos

I don't forsee us needing more-than-average horsepower.

Any experience with buying used person-to-person? I've bought cars that way and my wife bought the dirt bikes off a friend that way.

7. dbotos

dbotos

A litte nostalgia:

me on one of the dinosaurs (with duct-tape upholstered seat):

[​IMG]

why we called them the dinosaurs:

[​IMG]

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If shopped properly $3000 per used bike isn't a bad goal to set. As far as buying from an individual, that's all depends on the individual that you buy from. I just bought a used Ninja 250 for my niece from a couple that I know fairly well. I know their riding habits and their maintenance habits and I had no reservations. Just buying from joe blow? Buyer beware.

I can definitely see that $3000, if shopped right, can yield some really nice three or four years old Suzuki SV650 or SV650S.

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

If you're 6' tall and 180 lbs, you can easily manage a bigger bike.

Bigger bikes are easier to ride because of the greater low end torque. You don't have to worry what gear you're in, and the heavier bikes tend to be more stabe and less twitchy.

Don't be afraid of the CCs, just rein in your wrist.

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I started riding last summer (2005), and have racked up about 20k miles. I'm an old man (43), above average shadetree mechanic and am not afraid of buying anything used.

On my third bike now, all bought used in excellent condition from private sales, paid cash. First one a 1986 250, second a 1995 750, third a 2000 1100, all Jap bikes. Sold the first two for exactly what I paid for them, all I had to pay was to keep them in good tires. Definitely not sorry I bought used and started small.

Buy used, at least until you get a feeling for what you really want.

EDIT: Though I mentioned that I am a mechanic, I have not had to do a single repair on ANY of my three used bikes, even the 20yr old ran perfectly. All I did was normal maintenance and checks.

11. dbotos

dbotos

Just don't buy used toilet paper. :toilet:

I'm right there with you, though. Z is up on the jackstands right now (replacing the radiator). And of course, I couldn't leave those ugly stock sand-cast aluminum water pipes alone. A little filing, sanding, sandblasting, and some hi-temp satin black paint and those babies are lookin' sexy. :thumbsup:

A bike would be perfect cause then I can ride that to work when I play take-apart-the-car (and then drive the Z when I play take-apart-the-bike).

12. G23 4 ME

G23 4 ME

I feel obligated to chime in because I happen to be in love with my bike and I think it is often overlooked by bike shoppers. At least take into consideration a Honda VFR. The recent generations of these bikes are 800s, they sport a V4 engine (around 100hp), have very comfortable ergonomics for a sporty bike(not hunched over), and are popular among "sport-touring" riders. There are a ton of aftermarket goodies available and they are pretty sharp looking (you can't beat the look of a single-sided swingarm).
    You could probably get into a 5th generation VFR (1998-2001) in the price range your looking at.

13. dbotos

dbotos

Are they not making the VFR any more? I looked on the Honda site and didn't see it. Not that it matters since we'll probably go used anyway. I did find some pics of the VFR with Google image search, though. Looks like a nice bike.

14. G23 4 ME

G23 4 ME

There is a 2007 model VFR although it's not out at most dealerships yet. It's available in a retro red/white/blue color scheme, which I think looks pretty sweet. They call it the Interceptor on the Honda site. [​IMG]

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Interceptor name never went away. The new version had a retuned VTEC engine that doesn't cut in abruptly like the previous generations.

I still don't understand how the Interceptor series went from sport bikes to sport tourings. Somewhere along the line, Honda decided to stop making V-4 sport bikes.:sad:

16. G23 4 ME

G23 4 ME

I'm not sure why the VFR went toward the sport touring side either, but for selfish reasons I'm glad they did. I think Honda would do well to make two versions using the V-4 platform, one strictly sport bike, one geared toward sport touring. If I could afford it I would buy one of each.