Shooting while pregnant

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Doug_Y, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Doug_Y

Doug_Y Sith Happens

First, let me start by saying I have my wife's permission to be in here.

Seriously, it appears my wife is pregnant (We'll know for sure after she gets in to see the doctor.) and we're wondering if she can continue to go to the range. Our big concern is that sound/shock waves travel faster and harder (not the best word choice, but it gets the point across) through liquid.

Do any of you ladies have any information on this?

Thanks.

2. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

3. dgg9

dgg9

I'd worry more about all the lead in the air.

4. kels

kels

I am with the group who thinks waiting is a good idea.
    It just isnt worth any risk to the kid or mom.

5. Cat91

Cat91 Red Tabby

Have her ask her OB-GYN about it. Then you'll be SURE.

Miao, Cat

6. Doug_Y

Doug_Y Sith Happens

From the sounds of things, I think we'll just get her an airsoft pistol and use the basement as a 5 to 7 yard range. That would allow her to get some practice.

Thanks for the advice.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Better safe than sorry :)

8. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I shot intermittently during all 3 regnancies. No problems. Talked with the OB about it too before going. OB didn't have a problem ;P . Did say that outdoor ranges were not as 'loud' as indoor, and are generally less prone to lead exposure. Just make sure she WASHES HER HANDS immediately after she's done shooting! Better still if she takes a break & washes midway through too. You can always ask the OB to run a lead screen on some of the blood they will draw. I had that done with one pregnancy, just to make sure all was ok. It was fine.

Oh, CONGRATS! And y'all could stick to .22's during the pregnancy to cut way down on the noise factor.

9. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

While researching this topic for my wife (just found out yesterday) i found this article...

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~cpardue/pregnant.html

we are signed up for and prepayed for a beginner's competition handgun course near the end of this month. Then she was going to start shooting idpa w/ me.

The class will be up to 10 shooters on an indoor range for 1-2 hours(?) a night for three nights; 21/25/28 (unknown round count). If she uses lead free ammo and a mask and gloves we think we should be good on lead as the range is pretty well ventilated for an indoor range.

What this article says about the noise though is concerning, but it talks about development being affected by noise after 8 weeks and she will be under this.

We will talk to the doc and the range owner/instructor, but welcome comments from you ladies. Could these three nights be a problem?

EDIT: added link to similar discussion on THR for anyone else looking for info on this subject at a later date....
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=127930&page=1&pp=20

10. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Here's some info from an online site:
    How about hearing?

"Auditory sense is present in the infant 24 weeks before birth [14 weeks after conception]. This involves brain functioning and memory patterns." M. Clemens, "5th International Congress Psychosomatic," OB & GYN, Rome: Medical Tribune, Mar. 22, 1978, p. 7

Recent technology allowed a tiny microphone to be placed by the fetus’s head and "We heard almost everything, from people talking 12 feet away, to a door opening in the room, to a cart going down the hall with the door closed. The clarity was incredible. It was easy to tell who was talking."

The results showed the fetus hears everything we do, only 10 decibels less. Their earliest response to sound was at 26 weeks. Is Noise an Intrauterine Threat, Phelan & Satt, by R. McGuire, Med. Tribune, Nov. 30, 1989

11. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

thanks for that info on noise vic. will keep it i mind.

for what it's worth the ob/gyn's my aunt works w/ said it should be ok to shoot in limited amounts (and one of them is an active shooter).

however, sadly it is no longer an issue. Next time though (next time we won't tell anyone untill after the first ultrasound though).

12. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Most doctors don't take everything into account, and that's a given if you've worked in, or been around, the medical field for any length of time. Thus there is no way I would expose a pregnant mother to any higher level of airborne lead, nor would I just take a doctor's word that the sounds would not somehow affect an infant.

Sure, the concussions probably aren't going to cause a noticeable catastrophic incident, like a future miscarriage, but is that really all that's at stake here?

We're tlaking about a being that, if not psychologically, is physically at their most fragile point in the life cycle here. Nothing is fully formed, hardened, and a few things aren't 'set' yet.

I don't mean to preach, but if a person can live 80 years, I think parents owe it to the infant and, later, child to do the best they can for positive growth and ability. At very least we're talking nine months of clean living until the little guy is born.

Please don't take this as me being critical, I just felt I needed to post to this question.

Best,
    Gamma

13. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

Doug_Y,

Personally if I were married I wouldn't allow her to shoot until she delivers the baby. Besides as time goes on you and her will have enough things to worry about other than shooting. Save your money and start buying diapers.

Mail Clerk

14. Doug_Y

Doug_Y Sith Happens

I don't allow or disallow my wife to do anything, as she is her own person and I live in mortal terror of her.

According to her OB's Physican's Assistant, another shooter, she can go shooting at outdoor ranges, as long as I clean the guns. Unfortunately, we've only been out to the range twice since February, mainly due to work on our house.

Luckily, we can afford building materials, diapers and ammo...

15. randomaxsurplus

randomaxsurplus

I went shooting all throughout my preganacy. My daughter turned out fine in fact she is a bigger gun nut than myself.

16. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Wow, all my kids are grown and I don't remember how many of them went to the shooting range - definitely the first one; and she's extremely proficient with her Beretta 9mm. Come to think of it, they all like old rock n roll played loud and they don't go around tapping themselves on the head - two out of three ain't bad. ;a

Adios,
    Bob

17. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

FWIW, I'll toss in a couple of things here:

1) My mother is an OB/GYN, her opinion is that shooting should be avoided by pregnant women (she is an occasional shooter herself);

2) Many police agencies now have policies which exempt pregnant female personnel from firearms qualification while pregnant, or make special arrangements to qualify on an outdoor range, with lead-free ammunition and a silencer (and no shotgun qual).

18. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

So sorry to hear this.

19. cutie68

cutie68

My mid-wife about flipped when i asked about going to the range when pregnant. I personaly don't think it's a good idea,especialy in the last months of pregnancy. I'm just saying this because i was big as a house,soo tired and couldn't even see my feet. And my hubby who is a full time officer wouldn't even let me hold a gun;) So when i became a reserve i was so very happy.

20. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

Doug_Y,

That's cool if the doc say it's fine. You get to clean!!! The fun stuff :)

Mail Clerk