Shooting the Glock with pointer finger over trigger guard

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockoPopPopPop, Feb 24, 2010.

1. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

New G23 owner. Just wondering if it is bad technique for you to put your pointer finger over the trigger guard? (with your left hand)

2. chief

chief

isn't that why it's there?

3. ctkenc

ctkenc

I asked the same question here about 2 weeks ago ... look around and you'll find all the good replies I got.
    Appears to have been briefly popular with some shooters (more in Europe than in US ? ) but no longer used much as it takes the LH out of play too much.
    Try it for yourself ... I did, and found that my LH would slip out of place too often so I quickly dropped the idea. :faint:

4. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

No. It's there for bracing the gun, as in, against a barricade. Works great. It's not a bad technique if it works for you. It's not a common way to shoot, though. I shot this way for a couple of years, firmly believing it would help me control the gun and increase my accuracy. When I received proper training and stopped putting a finger there, I ended up turning into a pretty damned good shooter.

5. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Sorry i didnt realize this was a recent post. I hate that...haha

I must admit, i am not an accurate shooter at all...so I will try bringing the finger down!

Ill let ya know how i make out, thanks for the replies

6. GMAN12

GMAN12

7. RBL525

RBL525

I wrap my left hand around my right hand, and rest my left pointer finger right under the trigger guard. It helps me vertically stabilize my shot more. it also lets my left hand fingers rest in the depressions between my right hand fingers giving it a perfect ft for me.

I tried it with my finger over the front of the guard, but seemed to increase my spread horizontally. not sure if lead me to pushing/pulling the shot, but i was nowhere near as good as with my left hand under the trigger guard.

8. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

Whatever way works best for you really. I wrap my left index finger around the front of the trigger guard. I lay my left thumb up on the slide, and I lay my right thumb over top of my left thumb. I'm a right handed shooter BTW. I find keeping my thumbs gently against the slide keeps the weapon nice a stable in my hands. And having my left index finger around the trigger guard helps with muzzle rise for me, making for quicker follow up shots. To each his own.

9. Mad Man 666

Mad Man 666

10. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

:laughabove:

Now you just stop it. I spewed Snapps through my nose, all over my keyboard and I think I may have cracked a rib.

:rofl:

:animlol:

:laughing:

11. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Not only do I put my left index finger on the front of the trigger guard, I use a Modified Weaver Stance, and I do NOT point my thumbs toward the target!

I point the MUZZLE toward the target.:supergrin:

Shooting styles and stances come and go.
    Isosceles. Weaver. Modified Weaver. Modified Isosceles. Thumbs in a natural grasp. Thumbs pointed toward the target. Standing straight on to the target. Standing 45 degrees to the target.
    Etc., etc., etc.

Use whatever method works for YOU.
    Front sight should be in sharp focus. Breath control. Trigger squeeze.

12. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

Wrap that left pointing finger around and on top of your right middle finger. Lay your left thumb on top and point toward your target with it. Thats how I blast away :wavey:

13. ambluemax

ambluemax

The only bad technique is one that isn't working for you.

14. Brucev

Brucev

I find using my left index finger to wrap around the front of the trigger guard helps me to get consistent on target results when firing my G-22. It is not helpful to me when firing my 1911.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Actually, Ryobi is quite correct. A barrier, barricade, or edge of a shield.

16. J3Colt

J3Colt Glock-Off

17. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I briefly flirted with the idea of incorporating the triggerguard as part of my grip....

ever try it with a G27? your finger will fall off after one or two shots, and then you must readjust your grip.

I favor the "thumbs forward" grip that is all the rage currently.... (actually been using it for years...but nice to know that it is endorsed by whoever is the "master pistolero" currently. :cool:

find what works for you. If you carry your weapon, you might want to develop a grip that is natural for you, or practice until it becomes natural.
    big difference between range work and under stress work.

18. captcurly

captcurly

This is hard explain for me. I use the barrel of the weapon as the "pointer finger". What I am trying to say is that the barrel becomes my index finger (trigger) in my mind. This is how I was taught in the USMC and in the police academy in 1964. It works for me and it will take some practice. The barrel becomes an extension of your index finger (trigger finger). Hope I explained this.

19. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Are you sure that was a skillet?

20. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER