Shooting steel

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Staffordshire, May 14, 2020.

1. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

It is humbling and forces you to get better rather than waste ammo. After missing some poppers multiple times in a local USPSA match, I decided to go to my local public range that has a steel range. On a paper silhouette you can hit low, or low and left and still have a “center mass” hole in the paper. And you can reason that you would hit your target in a self defense encounter. Or in a match, you get a Delta, but you still get a point.

But on steel, you miss completely and see a puff of dirt instead of hearing a ring. I became better at steel after a few more trips and only using my heavy CZ’s. But the range closed back in mid-March and only opened back up this week. I’ve been relegated to shooting paper again until today. I was a bit rusty to begin with and eventually got on track. Even shot my Glock 17 a little just to see if I could hit with it and did OK.

Now that the outdoor range is back open, I’ll probably go once per week for the next month to try and improve my skill. Hopefully my local match will start back next week and I can start competing again. I only wish I had made the decision to try shooting steel sooner.

Tyler Smith likes this.
  2. 4 Paws

4 Paws

You should check and see if any of your local clubs host a steel challenge match.

Staffordshire likes this.

3. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Yes, the public range where I shot today hosts steel matches. I think one is called steel challenge and the other is called falling steel, though I’m not sure what the differences are.

I need much more practice before trying steel in a match. I have to stay focused and slow when shooting steel or I just waste ammo. So shooting a timed steel match is a little beyond my ability right now. In time....

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Steel Challenge, the real Steel Challenge, SCSA, is a nationally sanctioned competition. Otherwise it's just a steel match.

The best of the best of the best.
    https://scsa.org/

SARDG likes this.
  5. jstaylor62

jstaylor62

I did Steel Challenge with my Glock 44 this month and it was a blast! I was just using the CCI Standard Velocity ammo I had on hand and it was fine. I might look at getting Clean CCI High Velocity to reach out more quickly on the longer distance plates.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

It's not the distance, it's transition speed between the plates.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I like steel. :)

SIG 238  steel.JPG

SIG 238 25 yards.JPG

Steel bullet stop 2.JPG

Steel reset target 1.JPG

Steel target stencil.JPG

Steel targets.JPG

-JCN- likes this.
  8. 4 Paws

4 Paws

As 9X45 mentioned above, probably not going to make a notable difference in overall time. The only ammo adjustment that would probably help for rimfire is if you're having issues with reliability.

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The Steel Challenge was invented by Mike Dalton and Mike Fischman in 1981 as a way to practice transitions for IPSC, long before USPSA in 1985. It the largest money payback match in the world, still today. Transitions are the next thing after fundamentals: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. After transitions is movement.

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Once movement is added it becomes more than just shooting.

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

I was address I gotta the “after transitions is movement “ comment, not addressing Steel Challenge or its cousin “Outlaw Steel” as my range calls it.
    On a different issue, The benefit of hearing steel hit and knowing an edge ringing shot counts the same as a center is nice; it literally makes the whole target an A-zone. I had an instructor/range officer tell me, “You aim at paper but shoot at steel.”

fredj338 likes this.
  13. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yea, well, Outer Limits does have a couple of steps, but not compered to USPSA. And it's so little that I forget about it anyway.

15. Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith

I’m in the same boat as you. Paper is paper and I can make excuses to why all the time steel I hit dirt I hit dirt. All my shoot this past weekend rifle 10.5 suppressed and my handguns were steel only from 7-60 yards and various sizes. Not my local range but the range at our property/cabin but don’t want to drive and hour and half to use it when I want to practice. So I’m actually in the market looking for a couple different steel target options and hopefully someone in this thread can point me in the right direction

And the steel target at 40yards didn’t like the Smith&Wesson 460xvr lol that gave everyone a laugh when the legs blew off it just a couple thin tubes of steel holding the chain and plate up

16. ede

ede

Really enjoy shooting a plate rack. It's as good or better than sex and last a lot longer.

17. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

:goodpost:

ede likes this.
  18. PatinAz

PatinAz

When I first transitioned to steel, I took my teenage son out and met with some of his friends and dads. Of course teens being teens, like to show off with some rapid fire blasting. Well EVERYONE know when you hit the target and they all know when you miss. After some ball busting, my son really doubled down on fundamentals and got better throughout the day.

19. Firecop203

Firecop203

My first steel challenge experience was because of a challenge by my granddaughter.

I’m in my sixties and I went to a match with my son and granddaughter. She was shooting an AR with a .22 conversion kit. She had a good run on a stage and strutted over to me, put her hands on her hips and said “grandpa, if you come shoot this, I’m gonna whup you”.

I smiled at her and said “it’s on darlin”. I bought a Beretta CX4 that day. It’s been over five years now and she still hasn’t beat me.

The best practice I get is with a plate rack and timer at my local gun club.

20. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

My ideal day off work starts like this.
    39CA24FF-A73A-4362-B9E2-3F54DB3B932A.jpeg

Mr Meeseeks likes this.