Shooting reloads (cast) on original 9mm glock barrel is ok?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by perro loco, Sep 1, 2005.

1. perro loco

perro loco

plan to get a 17 or 19 and want to know if any ofut there are shooting cast bullets trough a glock original barrel in 9mm.

othanks in advance for your opinions or comments

Perro Loco

2. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Hi PL. I do it with heavy bullets at less than 1000fps, or in your situation--less than 300--350 meters per second. No problems if you use fast burn rate powders. Medium burn rate powders at reduced charges give me more gas cutting of the lead in the bore. I get very slight barrel leading at the first 15 mm in front of the chamber after 250 to 300 rounds shot.

My most accurate load in a G17 is with a 148 grain cast lead bullet.

I shoot lead in stock Glock 9mm, 40, 357 Sig, and 45 acp with good results, if the speeds are less than 1000 fps.

Your results may vary and I suggest experimenting with loads to get the best results.

3. Sherlock Glock

Sherlock Glock Lifetime Member

I have shooy many thousands of lead bullets. You MUST
    keep the barrel clean. The polygon rifling does lead up
    faster than standard rifling. With the leading, it causes
    the chamber pressure to go up.
    As the notes from the 1st reply - slow powder, and lighter loads work great.

Hope this helps.
    ;? ;Y ;?

4. perro loco

perro loco

Actually shooting hard cast bullets from a SS barrel on my G23, barrel from EFK (sold to me by a friend here on GT), sure i don´t have aby problems, but this isn´t the question now.

thanks again

Perro Loco

5. noway

noway

Crazy dog, you should beable too shoot lead in your stock bbl. Clean regulary and before switching to a jacket bullet.

6. PaleGreenHorse

PaleGreenHorse 10mm

Shooting lead is ok as long as your BHN # is high enough. 21 or so to be safe.

...from the Beartooth site:

Brinnell Harness Number, or BHN as it is abbreviated, is a relative hardness scale._ The numbers are derived from the load bearing ability of of a sample in terms of Kilograms (Kg) supported by one square millimeter (mm²)._ This scale is mathematically progressive, in that tripling the BHN number, triples the sample hardness._ Conversely, if you cut the BHN number in half, the hardness of the sample is half that of the original.