Shooting Multiple Division Questions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by bruce282, Jan 26, 2005.

1. bruce282

bruce282

I bought a G17 on 12/31 and have joined GSSF. I'm working on filling out my registration form for the Richmond match. I remember reading that most people that shoot several divisions use the first one or two for practice and leave AmCiv for last. In that case does it make any differance which other G17 legal divisions I shoot? And I am allowed to shoot these matches over two days correct (which sort of negates the "practice aspect")?

I only live 2 hours from Richmond, but might just make a mini vacation with the wife rather than driving back and forth each day.

Thanks for any other information on shooting GSSF matches.

Bruce

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Welcome! Congrats on the G17; real versatile gun. ^c
    It doesn't matter which other divisions as long as it's one in which your 17 is legal. My first matches last year I shot Comp first, then AC. This year I'll probably do the same thing, or substitute MasterStock instead if someone needs a 3rd just to make a team entry or something. Then I'll go eat a heavy carb lunch to settle down & come back with the UL gun I'm having fun with. Even if on the bottom of the page, it'll be interesting to see how I stack up in the so-called "deep end of the pool."

Yes, you can shoot the divisions over the course of the two day period. Sometimes folks who travel some distance will show up on Sat, register, get their cards for their divisions, go see the armorer, get settled at a motel, then come back on Sunday AM and they're generally able to run through rather quickly.

It's really lots of fun & the people are great, so if you're even thinking about making a family thing of it with your wife, by all means bring her along (with eyes & ears). You'll want someone taking pics from the view over your shoulder, anyway, right?
    ^c

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Bruce don't send in your Richmond registration on the 2004/2005 forms, they may have some changes. Besides GSSF will not accept them yet because it's a match in next seasons schedule. After the new schedule is ready to start you may send in all the registrations for that seasons schedule all at once or whenever you like so long as they have it a minimum of a week before the match.

I will also be attending the Richmond Match along with my son-in-law and a couple other shooting buddies from Florida.

4. GJM89

GJM89

Oh Good, Southern meat for the Va. match, Hmmmmm Did I think that or say that? ;f ;f ;f ;Q ;Q ;Q

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Yep-------------You said that. ;G ;N ~2

6. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I shoot my GLOCK 26 in all of the categories. I sometimes will shoot 4 categories during a single day. In my experience, (since I do not practice GSSF style shooting)the 1st Category is almost always the worst of the day. 2nd catagory is an improvement and the 3rd category is usually my best time. The 4th category will normally drop off a little to between the 2nd and 3rd.

Because the most chances for winning money is AmCiv or AmGuardian I use that category for my third run. In the last couple of years I have consistantly placed in the money shooting about 4 matches a year. The second run is where I shoot the Sub-Compact category and those scores have actually won me two pistols when the good shooters did not show up.

For Orlando next month the plan is to shoot three categories with the stockmeister class being my first run for score.

The match rules will allow you to shoot two categories when you get to the line. On Sundays it can be a little slower on the stages and they might let you shoot through with no waiting. I did that last year in Orlando on the plates. 16 loaded magazines and shot right through 4 categories. What a blast! ;f

7. bruce282

bruce282

OK Thanks for all the great information. I'll wait until the 2005 season offically starts before signing up for Richmond. I would also assume that if I had registered for 3 divisions, and shot those 3 on Saturday, I'd still be able to show Sunday, pay another $25 (plus $10 walkup fee) and register/shoot another division that my G17 was allowed in.

I'm thinking that the matches in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Ohio will be doable from the Northern Virginia area. I might even check out how long a trip it is Anderson SC.

Thanks again guys.

8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

In answer to your question, yes, you could shoot again on SUnday if you wanted to.

From Richmond to Anderson will take you about five or six hours to drive it.

9. DP177

DP177

Bruce,

As long a you pre-register by mail or fax for one category, then you wont be charged the $10 walkup fee for additional categories on the day of the match.

If you are planning on making a vacation out of it and extending over the two days, why not shoot one category on Saturday just to get the feel of how things work. Then come back Sunday with the multiple categories. Just an idea.

Welcome to GSSF. Have a great time shooting and enjoy.

DP177

10. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

Why not sign up your wife to shoot?

She will have more fun.

Even if she is for the most part a novice, sign her up to shoot and I guarantee she will have fun and she just might win the Glock that is given to the top B or C shooter. Tell the RO's that she is a novice or needs help and they will do backwards cartwheels on a titerope trying to help her out.

Unless one of you is good enough to win AmCiv outright - due to the lewis prize structure, both you and your wife the same chance of winning something in AmCiv.

Another way to put this is that your wife's chance of winning something in AmCiv is greater than your chance of winning something in Competition class or Subcompact.

The only downside is if she shoots better than you.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Although one may enter up to six categories, one may enter any given category only one time per match weekend. You cannot enter Am/Civ on Saturday and again on Sunday.

You may enter your G17 in the following categories:

Amateur Civilian
    Competition
    MasterStock
    Unlimited

12. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

If you go for four categories and plan to shoot both days do two each day. A little warm up always helps and you will not be stuck with the "more than" two catagory limit on the line.

I vote for the spouse to shoot as well. I am trying to get mine to shoot the Orlando match and am not having luck so I see the potential for failure there.