Shooting Moly and copper

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Travclem, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I have worked up two goos loads for my .243. My varmint load is a 55gr Sierra Blitzking moly and the Deer/Sheep/Pig load is an 85gr Nosler Partition. My question is this, how detremental to my barrel is it to shoot copper and moly coated bullets in the same barrel? I really like these loads and have about 400 of the moly Sierras left.

2. phonejack

phonejack

about 12 yrs ago kevin thomas of sierra bullets came to shoot at a service rifle match in my home state. this was at the height of the moly craze. it was reported that they produced tighter groups,longer barrell life and higher velocities. he was asked if he used moly coated bullets. answer was a profound "no". that ended any thought of me switching to moly.also, check out what les baer has to say in "american handgunner" sept-oct 2009 on page 60 and his opinion of moly. those two certainly know more than any of us. Happy Shooting":wavey:

3. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

DAVID TUBBS a World Record holder Ownes a Moly coating company. I have shot Moly bullets for years, And find nothing bad about them....

4. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Well Tubb likes them and McMillan voids their waranty if they are shot in their rifles, I know this. I am not needing benifits of moly, I just wanted to know if it will hurt my barrel to shoot both.

I couldnt find any info about this topic online. Everything online is about pros and cons of moly or how to moly coat.

I got bored while waiting for answers and pulled all of my moly bullets and reloaded the cases with 55gr Nosler B tips. no moly for me. I guess I'll just give the 400 moly sierras back to my uncle.

5. waldershrek

waldershrek

Don't worry about it, moly bullets are awesome.

6. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

what about this ...moly coating a barrell? there is some company out there that does that. cannot recall who.