Shooting low with my G19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71bill, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

Took my G19 to the range today - have not shot it in a while -

I set up a target at 10 feet - every shot was right in the center of the target.

Moved the target out to 20 feet - every shot was about ~5 inches low

Moved target out to 45 feet - every shot was ~12 inches low.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I shot the same targets with my M&P9c

Dead center at 10 feet

~2 inches low at 20 feet

~3 inches low at 45 feet

:dunno:

I don't see how the bullet can drop that much in this short of distance - am I holding on to the grip too tight?

2. Coop de Ville

Coop de Ville

How are your groups? Are they tight?

I ask because I shoot my 19 low. At requals my groups are clustered in the abdomen area. Last week at requal the instructor made fun of me anouncing that I was a midget hunter...

Do you shoot with a 6 O'clock hold?

-Coop

3. R*E

R*E

:dunno:aim higher?

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

At 10 feet groups are pretty tight - I can cover them with one hand.

At 20 feet they spread out a little - and a little more at 45 feet - :embarassed:

Shots have a tendency to be hit more left of center than right -

I line up the front and rear sights so they are even across the top - and line that up with the middle of the bulls eye -

5. matt c

matt c

you are milking, or flinching and you are not squeezing the trigger back into your palm correctly. grab your snap caps and load them into a mag. at random with some bullets... track your front sight. You'll see right away what your sight picture is when the gun does not go off because of the snap cap....then you correct the problem. Oh yeah, cover the target with the center of the sight.... these are combat sights not target sights.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  6. Teej

Teej

Unless I missed it, you did not mention what ammo you were shooting?

Some target ammo does not have much to it. What brand and bullet weight were you using?

I suggets buying at least 3 boxes of different brands of ammo, all the same bullet weight and shoot again tracking which ammo shoots how.

I also suggest shooting a string of each ammo from a rest at your chosen distances. This should help you determine if your described issue was the ammo you used, if it is something you are doing, or both.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Good point - I have been shooting mostly BlazerBrass and Monarch - but I discovered three 100 round value packs of WWB 115 grain FMJ - I didn't even know I still had them - decided to burn them up to get rid of them.

Next time out I will try a different ammo -

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Good idea on the snap caps -

I have been aiming using the top of the sight - I guess when you are 10 feet away it really doesn't matter much -

9. sandshark

sandshark

Wow. I was guessing it would take getting to the second page for this to get posted. You restorest my faith... :rofl:

Snapcaps are very instructive. I was flinching long ago when I first started using larger calibers. :crying: I could have sworn I was not - but snapcap drills proved it. Got me squared away very quickly.

I am not aware of any 9mm that drops 12" at 45'... :wow: Variation, yes. a foot of drop, less likely.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

The strange part - the big difference between the two guns -

I am only a few inches low with the M&P and ~12" low with the G19

You would think I would be flinching or not with either gun -

It must have something to do with the way I grip the gun -

I have 3 M&Ps and have shot many thousands of rounds more through this platform VS the number I have shot with a Glock.

I just did a little test -

If I take both guns and quickly pull them up on a target

The sights of the M&P Compact - front & rear lined up pretty much straight -

The G19 my front sight is higher than the rear - so I need to tilt the muzzle down to get on target - I sort of expected the front sight would be lower - since I am shooting lower.

I must be over compensating :)rofl:) for the angle difference.

11. Teej

Teej

The Glock and the M&P have different grips. What you are describing sounds like the M&P fits your grip and wrist alignment more naturally than the Glock grip fits your hand.

Were you shooting both your Glock and the M&P duing the same shooting session? I bet if go again and only shoot your Glock, shoot a bunch at close range paying attention to your grip. [not just how it feels, but look at it while aiming down range and make sure your hand, wrist and forearm are in alignment]

Do that for a while correctly then move out to your longer ranges. This may improve your hits.

12. matt c

matt c

it is a combination of grip size and trigger feel. Also if you point your finger out naturally, You'll find the glock actually is the more natural pointer, it is just that when holding the pistol you tend to be more inclined to hold the wrist more fist like as opposed to the way you would point.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  13. sandshark

sandshark

Odd (I mean really, that is pretty drastic bro...) - but then you get into relative physiology and wrist angles, and that we are all different... I am one of the population for whom a G19's (and a G36's, and now an OD G34's... :whistling:) grip angle is perfect. Basically the grip angle that haters bash is a total fit for me.:tongueout:

...In slow fire drills this should not be as great a deciding factor though. What sights are you running? Front sight is higher because? Is it set up for a 6 o'clock hold? My G19 & G36 both have Mepro's and my new G34 just got a Warren Sevigny comp rear and a Dawson .215 FO front... Everything is set for POA/POI.

If you really want to get into taking this apart, consider using a video camera from a side angle when you are shooting each distance and pistol, then look for any relative dissimilarities. We used to do that in competition archery and it was pretty instructive. Really illustrated when we were anticipating, peeking, etc.

The only other possibility is that my G19 is Austrian proof stamped so the bullets come out a lot faster. :rofl:

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

I shot both M&P & Glock - pretty much random back and forth between the two.