close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting lead

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by biggin215, Feb 11, 2010.

1. biggin215

biggin215

I heard that since Glock uses hexagonal rifling that you are not supposed to shoot lead ammunition in it, only copper jacketed.

I shot tons of lead in mine before i heard this, is it really that detrimental?

2. nick425

nick425

3. stengun

stengun

Howdy biggin215,

Same here. I fired over 20,000 lead bullets before some Keyboard Kommando told me that if I did my Glock would KB.

Paul

4. perkins3120

perkins3120

i shoot lead all the time i hope not haha

5. tmd11111

tmd11111

I only have 2 or 3 thousand through my so far, guess I'm still safe for a while...:whistling:

6. becket1@bellsouth.ne

becket1@bellsouth.ne

I don't have an opinion either way, but it apparently relates to lead buildup in polygonal rifling because the sharp edges may shave micro-bits off the bullet, and soft lead can build up over time. High chamber pressures could result, dangerously kb-type pressures, so Glock says don't do it. Mainly appliees to soft lead in reloaded rounds, I believe. Do a search; LOTS of thread and'posts about it on here.

7. biggin215

biggin215

So basically don't worry about it! lol i guess i might as well spend the extra cents for copper jacketed rounds. lead is a pain to clean anyway and makes a nasty looking poof when the bullet leaves the barrel

8. bbvk05

bbvk05 Señor Member

Glock says to use jacketed ammunition. They must not know what they are talking about.

9. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

It depends on the hardness of the alloy. If you shot pure lead in a polygonal barrel you will lead the barrel quickly. I have shot wheel weight lead out of my glocks, it is much harder and it did not lead out too badly. I have also used Lasercast, they worked fairly well too.

If you are not careful about the leading of your barrel you WILL have an issue. My gun club has a G17 that KB'd because a know-it-all pushed a too soft alloy too fast for too many rounds.

10. DasBulk

DasBulk

Only problem is, the rifling has no sharp edges in a Glock...

11. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I agree - Glock isn't the first to use polygonal boring and people have been shooting lead out of HKs for years. Count me as one who has shot it for years without a hiccup. If I can't shoot lead, I'll probably not shoot much at all. It's economic and very safe. I clean after every 100-150 rounds using properly lubed bullets with alox, and the bore looks like a mirror - without having to scrub.

I do slighlty disagree with one statement that all seem to agree on, and that is softer lead. The truth is that the harder the alloy, the lower the burn temp is and the HIGHER the chance that it will lead. Properly lubed, neither gives a problem in my opinion, but the leading comes from burning at the back and around the sides of the bullet on it's travel outward. If you use a good alox, the burning won't occur. If no or little alox is used, you'll get lead with either, but more so with harder alloy - usually an inch or two ahead of the chamber is where it would accumulate.

As to Glock's recommendation - I'm aware that they say no lead, but this is a stop gap since they have no control and the potential for danger is there without properly lubed bullets. I agree with the poster who makes the point that there are no sharp surfaces - and if the lead obturates properly (soft obturates better), the less likely you'll get residue (if properly lubed). Glock also says "no reloaded ammo at all", but few reloaders who get on the lead bandwagon fail to mention that part.

12. G36_Me

G36_Me

I read every thread of this nature. As a person who likes to follow manufacturer's instruction it bothers me to shoot lead. As a person who likes to reload and has to reload for cost reasons I continue to reload lead. As a person with common sense, I shoot some and clean some and never have any issues. (I just admitted to nothing!)

I rarely shoot over 100 rounds before cleaning; just my pattern these days. My first Lone Wolf barrel arrived yesterday. Seems to fit fine. Will probably shoot thru it this weekend.

13. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Forgive me, but what's a "Properly lubed bullet?"...
    ?

I'm still digesting GTWWIII over RemOil vs. Breakfree CLP vs. Mobil One...

now I'm supposed to lube the bullets?

14. SargeMO

SargeMO

91-95 I bought Ultramax lead-bullet .40 ammo by the case, to run in Glocks for LE qualifications. This was back before we were told it was 'bad' for them.

I still shoot my own reloads w/ lead SWC's from Missouri Bullets. I hold the velocity down to about 850 fps and use powders in the middle burning range, which are kinder to the bases of lead bullets. HS6 is showing promise.

A new Glock has no lead in the barrel. An old Glock that has been scrubbed has no lead in the barrel. That one is a no-brainer from my perspective.

Glock don't wan't me to shoot lead bullets? Son-of-gun. I thought once I paid for it & took it home, that was my decision. Now I understand that Glock may not extend the same courtesy to me if I ignore their advice and shoot lead bullets through my gun. Big deal. With what I'll save on bullets over 4-5 years, I can just about replace it myself.

15. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Ignorance is King for some. I'm sure guys like stengun will also tell you they rode their bike without a helmet and are fine (doubtful, but still their assertion) so there is no reason to have your kid wear a helmet. If, fact, they will probably tell you that this is also evidence they can ride their motorcycle without a helmet and have no consequences. Even in light of overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary, some people enjoy their ignorance so much they don't even want to hear the evidence.

The use of lead in Glocks will cause higher pressures. To what level depends on many factors. The metric Glocks (9mm and 10mm) have a higher factor of safety since the chamber walls are thicker. The .45 has a higher factor of safety due to the low initial pressures. If you want to understand it, get "The Glock in Competition" and read Chapter 4. I explain it in great detail therein. I perform shooting accident investigations and firearm failure for a living. Do a search on MarkCO and you will find several posts here and elsewhere on the issue. Get an attorney to run a search on me if you want to see if my testimony in court and my credentials are valid.

Best,

16. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

Shooting lead ammunition for a polygonal rifled barrel can be dangerous for reasons already stated. Yet many people have shot lead rounds through their Glocks without any problem and believe it's fine.

Here is how I look at it. Sure you may be fine but at the same time an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling isn't that dreadfully expensive. It's sure a lot cheaper than a new gun and possible medical bills.

17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Fair question. All I do with the freshly cast ead bullets is put a few drops of liquid Alox on them (I use Lee, but I belive there are other brands). I swirl them around in a cool whip container or something until all are lightly coated and dump them out on wax paper. The next day, load them up.

It became obvious to me that the alox would not burn (which is why lead is left in the barrel) when I dropped one in the casting pot and the alox that was on it left the bullets image on the surface of the molten lead - and stayed without burning. I had heard this before and tried it - with the same result. I have used alox with rounds shot through a rifle up to 1800 fps without a hint of leading although on those I used a gas check.

In Richard Lee's book, he tells that when working with an alox formula, he tested to see how much lead was left in a bore through the use of a fine scale after shooting. He noted that lead left was directly proportional to an increase in weight. With the final formula, he noted a weight decrease and thought he had made an error. He said it wasn't an error, in that not only did the alox not leave lead, it actually removed some of what was left prior. A clean mirror like bore after normal cleaning has been my experience.

18. table

table

i just got a LW barrel so i could shoot lead reloads. solved the problem. if you do shoot lead out of a stock Glock barrel go for the non soft lead and clean your gun after every shooting session like you should be and i think you'll be alright.

19. Longshot308

Longshot308

I cast my own bullets so I can shoot my Glock .I fire some bore cleaners made out of jacketed bullets after the lead bullets.No problems at all.

20. blinddog

blinddog

Shooting casthas been shown through testing, to be a contributor to KB's. Much still depends on maintainance, as well as chambering. 9Mm seems to hold up to a diet of lead some better than other, more intense chamberings. The lead danger is not somthing new it was warned about back in the early 90's So I have never used and cast in any of my Glocks, with out an after market button rifled barrel.