close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting in SoCal

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by gunboy3, Dec 31, 2006.

1. gunboy3

gunboy3

I travel to SoCal once every couple of years and used to shoot in Afton Canyon. The BLM rules seem to have changed regarding that location. Is there a good alternative for outdoor shooting there? Thanks

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

What county is Afton Canyon in and where do you want to shoot?

3. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

4. gunboy3

gunboy3

Yes, it is near Barstow and now off-limits for shooters.(Didn't use to be, wonderful area)
    My cousin lives in Orange County and when I am visiting him, we like to do outdoor shooting. Do any of you know the most convenient area for us? Angeles Nat'l Forest is a little too far. Thanks for the replies

5. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

6. gunboy3

gunboy3

Thanks, I did find that one helpful. Maybe when I get out for a visit this summer, one of these ranges will still be open!

7. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

gunboy3,

Finding a nice/quality place to shoot is getting much harder now a days. I use to go to the San Gabriel Valley Gun Club which is now closed due to terrible city politics and too many wealthy people that are so anti-gunners that used the city to do their dirty work. Riverside county is one of only a few areas that will accept people like us. I live in Los Angeles and that's one of the places left to go. In the mountains of Azusa there's "Burro Canyon" that's governed by the forestry and not under any city BS. Look them up over the net.

Be strong,

Mail Clerk

8. gunboy3

gunboy3

I did find Burro Canyon earlier and it is has a membership fee, which is a little stiff ($175) for my once-every-few-years visit. Thanks you though

9. choochboost

choochboost

You do not need to be a member to shoot at Burro. I organize shoots for www.californiaccw.org at Burro and only one or two of the guys are members.

10. gunboy3

gunboy3

You are right, upon closer inspection of their website, it is only $10 per shooter. The $175 is a membership fee for the year. Thanks for the clarification, Burro Canyon has now rocketed to the top of our list. It was a lot nicer shooting in Afton Canyon without a rangemaster hanging over us. (Not that there's anything wrong with rangemasters) And we could shoot tracers and all.....There is an area south of Barstow that apparently is still open.

11. kato4moto

kato4moto

There's also the Calico area just north of Barstow. It's not the Calico ghost town, but it's pretty close to there. It's public land (not sure if it's BLM or what), and it's open to shooting, camping and off-road vehicles. There are abandoned mines in the area you can explore (at your own risk, of course) for another diversion.

12. gunboy3

gunboy3

Another good tip! Thank you. I do like unsupervised shooting so I will probably go to one of the two spots around Barstow.
    I can't stand the way The Man is always keepin' me down

13. choochboost

choochboost

OK then, for the record, you can rent a private range at Burro with no supervision. For a private range, they charge $15 per person, or a minimum of $60, and its yours for the entire day.

14. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Anymore info or a link to the Calico area?

15. kato4moto

kato4moto

Sorry, Devil, no link. IIRC, as you go north on I-15, you pass the exit for Ft. Irwin, pass the exit for Peggy Sue's Diner and take the next exit. May be Yermo, but I forget now.

You'll take a left at the stop sign and go over the freeway. You'll know you're on the right road if you see a big cowboy sign on the right side a hundred yards or so from the freeway and on the right side. There will be a dry lake on the left further up.

Look for a dirt road on your right that seems to come straight out of a canyon. I think it's Mule Canyon Rd. Take that up into the canyon and drive until you find a camping or shooting spot that suits you.

I haven't been there for a few years so I can't say for sure whether it's still open, but I can't imagine that it's been closed. :)

16. joeblow

joeblow

tracers are illegal in california. i believe just the bullet not loaded is still illegal. they are a felony if i am not mistaken.

17. 50 Shooter

50 Shooter

Tracers and any other kind of fun stuff like it are 100% illegal!!! Even if it's just the projo like Joe stated, EACH one is a potential FELONY!!!

Be safe unless you want to go to jail and lose your gun rights forever.

18. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Another place that used to be open to public shooting is about 15 miles south of Barstow, I think. Anyway, you take the 15N to Hodge Road and exit there. To the right is the OHV area, but if you turn left at the end of the ramp and cross over I-15, that's where everyone used to shoot. Just go back in at least a couple hundred yards, find a safe berm, and blast away. ;)