close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting In Disabled Class?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by dave1, Nov 9, 2002.

1. dave1

dave1 deep cover

Can anyone explain to me the process one needs to go through to shoot as a disabled GSSF member? Not very long ago (couple of months), I was placed on perm disability list by my dept. due to problems with an old military injury.

I receive 100% disability from the VA due to it being a service related injury. While my ability to stand and make quick movements has been somewhat hammpered, I am still able to do some shooting. Most times I can even hit the target. ;)

I understand that GSSF has a class for disabled shooters, I know nothing about it. Is it the same course of fire as the others? Is the scoring the same? Are the shooters able/allowed to win prizes?

And, most importantly, would the other shooters laugh at someone shooting in the disabled match? I know, it may sound like a dumb question. But after having spent many years honing my shooting skills, only to be brought to this level by something I can't control leaves me a bit sensitive.

After many years of shooting and being a GSSF member for several years, I've always wished for the time to join in the fun everyone seems to have at the matches. Now I find myself with the time but my abilities and level of performance have gone down the crapper. ;Q

I do believe though, that I will bite the bullet and try to visit some of the closer matches. Traveling a long distance may be a problem, I'll just have to see how things go.

So thanks for any info anyone can give me.

2. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

....I can answer your most important question.

No,..nobody laughs. You've got a Glock, with ammo. But seriously, I shot a match in Roseburg OR, on crutches, shortly after having my right hip replaced (I'm military also). No body made fun of me, at least concerning my physical status...my shooting, maybe. There was also an individual there, who shot the match from a wheelchair. No body laughed at him either.

Yes, GSSF matches have a "sub-category" of the Civilian Stock Category called "Challenged or Handicapped". I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, that you would receive what is called "special recognition" on the match results, for example being identified as the "top" challenged shooter, but in terms of $ or pistols, you compete on the same pts plain as everyone else in the civilian stock category. Same stages that everyone else shoots.

..hope you go to a match.

Jay

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I am pretty sure Jay was correct in his answers. Plus, if you come to the texas matches & shoot with us, no one will make fun of your challenge, especially not more than once ;) Really, though, the GSSF matches are so laid back I don't believe you will have problems with any hecklers. You say you are able to hit the target most times, that is better than I do sometimes. (those darn 25yd bulletproof targets--LOL). If you look at the way the prizes are awarded with the Lewis system, you will see no matter your ability, you have about the same chance of winning a prize as anyone else does. Come on out & have some fun. Good luck & keep your head up. Some things are just beyond our control. MLM ;e

4. MFinch

MFinch Guest

With one hip replacement down and another coming up in the future, I understand your issues. While I'm not shooting the disabled class in GSSF, it is a primary reason I shoot GSSF and sporting clays and much less USPSA.

After shooting around a number of seriously disabled shooters, I'd have to say we have the highest degree of respect for them and their willingness to participate. Great sportsmen.

Good shooting............

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I've been going to GSSF matches since '95 and I've seen wheelchairs and crutches and I've never seen anybody make fun of any of them, not even their shooting. I believe there is a 75.00 check for the High Challenged award at the matches. You would have to enter as an AmCiv competitor though. From the Glock Report:

Special Recognition Awards - GSSF awards certain Special Recognition cash awards within the Amateur Civilian and Amateur Law Enforcement categories. These are awarded to the highest-placing competitors who qualify for them, and who clearly indicate their eligibility for them when they register for their particular Amateur category. There is no extra fee required to compete for these Special Recognition awards. Within the Amateur Law Enforcement category there is a Special Recognition award to the High Female Law Enforcement competitor. Within the Amateur Civilian category there are Special Recognition awards for the following: High Adult Female (18 Years and over), High Junior Female (under 18 Years), High Junior Male (under 18 Years), High Senior (55 Years and over). High Challenger (physically handicapped). Please note that the Special Recognition awards do not apply to the Subcompact, Competition, MajorSub, StockMeister, and Unlimited/Master categories. All competitors who choose to compete within those categories compete head to head without regard to age, gender, physical handicaps or civilian or law enforcement status.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dave,

You will be welcome at any GSSF Match. YOu will be eligible for the $75.00 high challanger award in addition to anything else you might win under the Lewis system. Come on down and enjoy a match with your GSSF Friends. If it's a central or east coast match, any Team Sidearmor member will be glad to provide any assistance necessary.

7. Clem

Clem

I second what Danny and the others said above. GSSF shooters (and Team Sidearmor members in particular) will be more than happy to assist in any way needed. Just let us know at any match you attend. Hope to see you at a match in the near future! Tony & Donna.

8. dave1

dave1 deep cover

Thanks for the replies,

I should have known the GSSF and GT shooters would react as you have stated. They are class acts.

I will, most likely, try to attend as many matches as possible in the next year. As I said before, it will boil down to travel distance and time. I live in NE Oklahoma and there aren't very many matches near here.

Is there any sort of proof required to shoot in the challenger matches?

Thanks again guys. I'm sure you'll be seeing me in the future.

9. Clem

Clem

dave1,
    The closest GSSF matches to you are Dallas/Carrollton in May, and Shreveport in October. Hopefully, both match locations will be included in the 2003 schedule. The schedule usually comes out in March. If you venture south to San Antone, we have a match the weekend of Dec. 7-8. COME ON DOWN!!! You won't find a better group of guys & gals, and I'm proud to call a bunch of them friends. If you want any additional info, post here or e-mail. Tony.

10. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

From NE OK, the Missouri match outside Columbia may not be out of the question, either. Join in the fun -- as long as you don't have a family member that outshoots you, you have little to worry about as far as catching any grief. GSSF is a blast to shoot and just to hang around and chew the fat.;u