close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting HIGH with my 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maestrogustav, Jul 23, 2012.

1. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

I am new to Glocks, but I dove in head first and bought a 17 and 19.

With the 19, I shoot high; carefully aligning the tops of the front and rear sights, I hit nearly 2 inches high at 7 yards.

Is this technique? I have no prob with the 17.

2. Dexters

Dexters

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

4. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member Silver Member

Possibly a breathing problem? Do you sometimes shoot low but still on a center line? Just a thought.

5. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

I smoke after I shoot my G19. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

6. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

I would say it is the factory Glock sights. They print high for alot of people. If I was you, I would get a set of after market sights like Meprolites.

7. Kimura

Kimura

Are your groups tight? Have you shot the gun at 15 yards and 25 yards? If yes, did the gun shoot progressively higher? Have you let someone else shoot the gun at those distances? If yes, do they also shoot high with it?

Have you tried different ammo? No gun likes every type of ammo? Some are more finicky than others. You might solve the problem by changing ammo.

Your last choice if the guns shoots high at all distances is a taller front sight and or an adjustable rear sight. Good luck with this as I've seen a lot of shooters go through a lot of sights before settling and if you take a look at the Tigerswan Glock, it has an adjustable rear sight on it. Likewise, Pat McNamara runs an adjustable rear. There are reasons for this.

8. Frank V

Frank V

Congratulations on choosing Glocks. I think you will like them.

I'd suggest shooting off a bench from sandbags to eliminate some of the human error. That should show where your gun is shooting. Don't rely on one group, shoot several.
    I've shot quite a number of Glocks right out of the box & there were very few of them that didn't shoot very close to where the sights looked.
    Good shooting.
    Frank

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  9. .38 super

.38 super Observer

:rofl:... I never looked down ... :supergrin:

10. frostyicy

frostyicy

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire!!! I can not say it enough dry fire!!!

If I were at my computer I would post pics from the first day I shot my G19 2 weeks ago to today when I shot it.

You would swear that a different person shot my gun, so much so that the range master asked me if I had my CCW and said because if you don't you certainly wouldn't have a problem qualifying with your shots.

Just buy some snap caps and dry fire about 15 or more mins a day (I did until my fingers got tired). You will see results.

It's something about that glock trigger that takes some getting used to. It seems as though my glock trigger is lighter and more smooth now, not sure if it actually is or if I'm just used to it now.

When it comes to erratic ejection it's the gun not you, when it comes to shot placement its you not the gun.

Dry fire!!!!!

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

The most likely correct answer is, 'It's you!' :supergrin: There's a world of difference between using a standard, and a compact frame Glock. Shooter errors that don't show up with the standard frame have an annoying way of suddenly appearing with a compact frame. My suggestion? Shoot that G-19 until you become, 'good' with it; and, voila, your G-17 marksmanship will go way up!

Lots of, both, live and dry firing can help bring you on target real fast. The same is true of, 'ball and dummy' drills. A final suggestion: Start each range session at 5 to 8 yards; and, gradually work your way out. Another thing that has helped me to master my G-19 is that I do a lot of shooting at 25 yards. Then, as I come back in, it's just that much easier to shoot straight with that compact frame.

12. maestrogustav

maestrogustav

thanks for the input. I come from 1911s and P7s, many thousands of rounds. No question, the Glock 19 responds to recoil differently. If I shoot it like I shoot my 1911, I get a "high push" (high and right for this lefty). With focus and a different trigger approach, I can keep the shot down.

The reason I mention the 19 is that I shoot the 17 pretty much dead on. I realize it's the shooter primarily, but I find it interesting that the 19 is problematic, but the 17 is not, for a 1911/P7 guy.

the sights on both 17 and 19 are Warren tactical two dot.

13. Bello

Bello America/Italia

Crazy in pretty damn accurate with my 19

14. cjcharvet

cjcharvet

I'm exactly opposite from your experience. I learned to shoot on composite guns and moved to some heavier steel guns more recently. I have the exact opposite problem as well.

Dry firing will teach you a lot. Doing double action dry firing with my new DE today.