shooting help for concealed carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jvrobel_30, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

Hello all, I am wondering if there was a good training video or book that would help me become a better defensive shooter? I am looking to get my CCW here in Michigan sometime this spring hopefully (depending on my financial situation). I am a decent shooter, but would like to get alot better before I take on such a resposibility of carrying concealed. Any help would be appreciated!

2. CombatArmsUSAF

CombatArmsUSAF

The gun digest book of "Combat Handgunnery" written by Massad Ayoob. It will walk you through the beginning of defensive shooting and some advanced techniques as well. It also covers things like weapon types, weapon selection, caliber selection, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Bo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264600975&sr=8-1

Another excellent source of information for CC, also written by Ayoob

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Bo...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264600975&sr=8-3

Hope that helps

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Sorry that I don't readily have an answer to your question. But I am intrigued by this statement.

Are you saying you want to become a better shooter? Yet that you are already a decent shooter?

The confusing part to me is, if you are already a decent shooter, then it is not necessary to become a better shooter. It may be a good goal, but not needed. And certainly not needed with regard to "responsibility".

What is a "decent shooter"? Can you stand up, shoot 5 shots in 5 seconds at 7 yards, and hit a 12" circle each time? That's just a made up criteria I made right now, but if you can do that, then you are probably decent enough for the burden of carrying.

Where I think training is generally needed, is less about accuracy (as long as you are a "decent" shooter), and more about other things:
    -- when to shoot
    -- when not to shoot
    -- how to safely handle and carry a gun
    -- how to safely draw
    -- what the laws are
    -- knowing what is beyond your target and where your misses might go

Stuff like that.

My 2 cents :)

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

Try some action shooting competitions. IDPA or USPSA/IPSC.

The are not real but you really don't want real where people are shooting back and you might die.

Most Club matches are $10-25 and it will let you get in and out of your holster with a hot gun. Shoot and move a little stress of a timer lots of people to talk to about gear and such. Engage human style targets from varying distances and various positions. Weak hand, strong hand, fire from retention, etc. Oh and I find them fun. I don't have any interest anymore in standing on a static firing line and shooting bullseye targets.

Classes are good but the competitions you can do a few times a month every month vs a class a couple times a year.

Just a thought.

5. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

Thanks for the help guys. I was more looking for some preperations I could have while the weather is still cold here in Michigan (which I did not specify). And I guess it is not my shooting that would be the main concern, but things like when to shoot, how to safely handle and carry a gun, how to safely draw, what the laws are,and knowing what is beyond your target and where your misses might go. What would be neat as it comes to mind would be a game simulating such cercumstances. lol I guess that is just my gaming nerdy side coming out...

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I have this interesting book by Chuck Taylor
    http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-Combat-Handgunnery/dp/0873491866

My quick review is this:
    -- For information about self-defense shooting, with regard to cover and concealment, there's some stuff you might not have thought about on your own.
    -- For information about concealing your gun or about the laws, there is very little to nothing there.
    -- For his bragging about himself, there is a lot there.
    -- For his favoritism of the .45ACP over anything else, there is a lot there.
    -- For his take on Glocks, it is interesting that he likes them.
    -- For his information about carry guns, it is all really old stuff, and old guns.

Why do I even mention this book, because in spite of it's vast and many shortcomings, it does make me think about a few things. :)

Important note: On that Amazon page, while they are showing Chuck Taylor's book, the descriptions and reviews are about a book by Massad Ayoob. Strange.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

lol i was wondering where you were going with recomending this book. you seemed in your description it wasnt that much of a helpful book.

8. MarkTX

MarkTX

You need to take a 1-2 day basic handgun course which should get you trained up from the holster. This will make a world of difference in both your abiltiy to safely carry and overall handgun shooting.

After such training consider joining a local IDPA club and make those matches your regular training/practice session.

I don't know the trainers in your area, but I'm sure you can find em with a little digging.

9. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I just took my CPL class and my Instructor participates regularly in IDPA matches in the area. Gave us some vouchers to go out for free. Where in Michigan are you?

10. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

I am in south west Michigan. South of Kalamazoo.

11. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

Oh ok, Im over on the east side of the state. Search for IDPA matches though, I know theres some in Lansing, and I guarantee there are some much closer to you and in Grand Rapids.

12. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

OK THANKS! I will look into it and see what I can find.