close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting G19 for the first time

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rixtrix1, Feb 16, 2010.

1. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Taking my new G19 to the range this Thursday and shooting it for the first time. Anything I should look out for or do? I've never shot a Glock before. Will be shooting WWB and PMC ammo. Sorry if this is old to some, but I didn't find anything pertinent in Search. Thanks.

Ric

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Psychoticmilkman

Psychoticmilkman

3. SIG-SOG

SIG-SOG

Try shooting some double taps or quick follow up shots and see how easy (comparitively speaking) it is. I do pretty well with my G26 for a newbie. Have fun.

Let us know (or me anyway) how it goes.

4. High Altitude

High Altitude

Clean your glock before you go and load your mags right now to break in the spring.

5. Carry_A_Glock

Carry_A_Glock G19-23-23C-26

Congrats on your purchase! Search the forum for recent threads regarding issues with more recently manufactured WWB & the brass splitting...other than that, bring your eyes & ears and have fun!

6. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Thanks, Already done.

7. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Thanks, Everything's in the bag, ready to go.

8. ncglock19

ncglock19

Definitely read the manual before you go. It does ask that you break the Glock down to the 4 main components. That will let you check the barrel for obstructions, etc. My 19 turned out just fine.

I did that, and had 2 sessions before I spoke with the gun show owner. He took the time to sit down with me and show me the points to oil (same as the Youtube vid) and dropped a bit of Gunbutter on them for me.

Don't be shy, talk with the range owner. Most of them are happy to have another new gun owner. They will take the time to provide some pointers.

joe

9. ar15_dude

ar15_dude Believer

Apply the four safety rules:
    1. consider all firearms loaded
    2. keep muzzle in safe direction
    3. keep finger off trigger until ready to fire (especially important for Glocks)
    4. be sure of the target and backstop

Besides that, try out the Glock's trigger reset. After firing, let up on the trigger slowly, feeling / listening for a click in the trigger (this will occur far before the trigger has returned to the full forward position). After the reset, fire again. Total trigger travel is greatly reduced, allowing much faster and more accurate repeat shots. One of the things Glocks are known for.

10. Psychoticmilkman

Psychoticmilkman

11. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

All of the above.
    PLUS-After you may want to take a muscle relaxer as the HUGE SMILE can cause cramps and/or permanent scaring:whistling:

12. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Start at 5 yards and work your way out to 10 yards. Also, do a little bit of shooting w/o sighting. This will help you get a feel for your natural aim, and in most SD situations, you won't have time to sight the target. And, like the others said, don't be afraid to talk with the range employees.

Oh, and 1 other thing. Please do not put the thumb of your support hand behind the slide. I know it sounds like common sense, but I have had 2 buddies so far get a chunk taken out of their thumbs by my G19. And yes, I did warn them first and show them how to hold the gun.

13. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

DOH! How about "somebody"?

14. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Camera's in the bag, too.

15. chief

chief

don't remove the gold grease, but take off the slide and add a little oil to the slide grooves and a light coating on the outside of the barrel.

16. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

Yeah, probably just like the one I had when my friend pulled it out of his truck, handed me the box, and said "Thanks for all the help".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  17. den888

den888

18. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Leave the grease on the slide and do not clean that off for 500 rnds for the break in period. Clean everything else of course. If you really have not shot before maybe some of the good people here can turn you on to some U-tube videos on stances and such. Remember there is two gun rules that come to mind. Every weapon is loaded and keep your finger off the damn trigger. Have fun.

19. rixtrix1

rixtrix1

I have shot before; used to own a Ruger P89. Just haven't shot a Glock. I have been shooting competitive air rifles recently with trigger weights in the ounces range. so I do have a little trigger time. The noise is probably gonna be a little startling at first, until the adrenalin hits a second or two later. Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, youtube does have some good vids.

20. HK Dan

HK Dan

One quick thing? WHEN it shoots low/left, don't post anything on here about it. It's NOT THE GUN. <g>

Slide your trigger finger in another 8th on an inch and concentrate on a smooth, brisk, straight press. You want the right side of the trigger almost touching the crease of the first joint of the trigger finger. Don't try to shoot it like a rifle (center of the pad, slow, easy trigger pull to the break, etc). Smooth, brisk, straight. Don't jerk it or slap it.

Also--new GLOCK shooters tend to grip the gun badly. Be sure that your pinky finger on the strong hand doesn't crunch down (that destroys your trigger control AND throws the gun low/left at the same time). So, light to moderate strength from the pinky.

For your first session, my advice is to shoot groups. Put 50 rounds into 10 5 shot groups and see what you can do. Save the double taps and the trigger reset drills for later--just "take the dog on a walk" and see what you can do for accuracy. Get comfortable with the gun before going all Delta Force on us. <g>