close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting Coach

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Amateurknight, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Amateurknight

Amateurknight

As my username implies... amateur....I've just recently taken the step from "plinking" to "competition shooting". As a newbie, I felt I needed some experienced help. I had requested a fellow BOG (jasonub)to help me learn, and although I was skeptical at first, I admit, I learned a lot, about speed, technique, and rhythm.

Last Sunday we began my training. Started with basic point and shoot stuff.(Maybe just to see if I was safe enough;f )then moved on to transition shots, multiple targets and some high ready to transition shots...I was very impressesed as I felt it was a real learning experience to finally have someone with an understanding of the competition, watching and helping you to avoid mistakes. Although this was my first session I had a lot of knowledge to take home with me and practice with.(Dryfire,dryfire,dryfire)

I went through some 400+ rounds that day. Badtrip, my para started jamming at the end of the session and really rattled me, lost focus. To give credit to sir jason he was very professional and patient as I am only a neophyte in serious shooting. He takes the sport seriously and it shows and impacts in his teaching. I took in so much in the four hours of trigger time, I just felt it was noteworthy to share it.

2. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Ano contact num ni jason dre? Magpapaturo din ako. ;f

Seriously, mukhang oks yung Sunday experience mo ah. Sabak agad sa matches para makapag benchmark ng new skills. ;)

3. jasonub

jasonub

Thanks for the kind words.

To give credit i dont think your a newbie:) You can hit alphas at will. One should see his target last week, full of alpha hits:)

You were right on the button thinking that i was testing your safety skills before we started perforating the targets. You were very safe and concious of safety so after a few mins we started blasting;a

In fact i think you should not be an observer anymore, start shooting that production gun of yours. You were very patient on the alpha hits on that one than the p14. It has something to do with the ease of the pull of the P14 and any 1911 pistol.

Did you get a new extractor already? What brand and who is the smith that put it in for you? When you broke your extractor i suspect its the orig para extractor casted mim thus it was brittle.

In practice we should be only blasting around 300 rounds. But i saw that you were learning well and when one is shooting well, one should shoot more.

When your shooting started to taper down due to the extractor problem or fatigue, we called it a day. If one's shooting starts to deteriorate, one should stop. There is no point in practicing to shoot badly. It reinforces bad habits which we should not do.

Again thanks for your review. You should shoot the match next week at armscor to begin your journey.

Good luck!

4. jasonub

jasonub

sayang pala, you did not meet oliver and 9mx who can give you exact rules on production division.

also you did not meet one of my exceptional students from the navy shooting team. she is a girl and after 2 sessions, she competed and won first place on a pool of 175 shooters of which 98% are men:) She won an armscor air rifle too;)

5. dometop

dometop

sir jason,
    where do newbies like myself sign up for the jasonub shooting school? i like the idea of being objectively checked as to whether or not i piously adhere to the safety rules, as well as being objectively assessed as to my shooting deficiencies. what are the prerequisites for enrolment, and how much are the fees?

dometop

6. jasonub

jasonub

thanks for inquiring, check your pm. unfortunately im very busy and we have to schedule lessons to those who are interested on sundays between matches and practice sessions.

i can only teach at the marine range and one has to bring his own gear, pistol, 400 rounds of ammo hearing and eye protection. tape, 3 ipsc targets, and a taper(someone who can tape and pick up brass)

the major requirement is being open minded. your development will depend on this. we will cover basic safety and i will see how you shoot. and based on your shooting i can decide what to teach you. from begginer to being master class shooters.

your mistakes will be seen and this will be corrected before it becomes a bad habit. your shooting development will be fast if you are willing to put in the time and effort. It took me 10 years of shooting and more than 100,000 rounds to get to my level not to mention countless hours drifiring. I continously seek improvement and learn each time i shoot. I began competing ipsc last year october iirc. and i have again started to learn what it takes to win in this sport.

I have been shooting precision and ipsc like stages before getting into the sport. Started with a 22 then a 9 then a 45 then 40 cal.i am well versed in using pistols, rifles, submachine guns, precision p[istols and rifles. metallic sillouette. the only thing that i have not shot extensively are shotguns and revolvers.

if there is more demand i wont be able to practice;f if this happens mCO will have to help;)