close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting Chrony problems/ questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wash-ar15, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I have a shooting chrony alpha. twice i have brought it to my outdoor range and twice it has not work.the days were partly sunny/cloudy. I set it up and it would not register the shot. I'm thinking it not getting enough light.

So I test it at home with in my backyard with my air rifle. Now it is out in the open and it registers.

So are they really that sensitive to the amount of light? do they have to have a full sun to work?

Is what I am experiencing normal for this model and chrono's in general?

Are there any ways to improve it performance?

Thanks

2. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

The Chrony Alpha unit is working properly as evidenced when you have used it in your backyard and obtained good results. In setting it up at your range, check your placement of the unit to:
    ...minimize/eliminate direct sunlight hitting the sensors from an angle
    ...the sunshades are being used if not a fully overcast day
    ...what time of day were you trying to use the unit?

I have the Beta Master version and have had no problems using the unit out in the open or under the roof overhang, but always with sunshades installed.

3. fredj338

fredj338

While all screens are ligth sensative, the Chrony screens are pretty poor. THe measuring area is very small, about 6" above the screens @ perferabley direcly over them. Much higher & it will miss the shot, much lower & you hit the chrony. Early mornign or later afternoon seems to eb the better light. Indoors, forget it w/o a strong alternate light source

4. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Make sure you don't have mixed light, i.e. partial shade from a tree, or one screen in shade, the other in sun.

5. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I tried it with the sunshades on and off at the range. did not seem to make a difference.

do the pact ones work a lot better?

6. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

The CED seems to have the best low light capabilities of the ones I have tried and it is one of the few that have a IR option for indoor or dark days.

They are expensive at $200 but they work.

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Try a low blast round like 22lr. I can't speak for other chronos, but the two Chrony brand chronos I've had are very sensative to muzzle blast. 38 wadcutter loads, 22lr will read no matter how "wrong" the light is as long as you use the diffusers. 9mm and 40SW are a bit touchier, and full blown 357 mag rounds with slow powder are the worst. In all cases, getting farther back, like 30 feet, seems to fix the problem.

Notice how your zero blast airgun worked fine? Bring a 22lr with you next time and see if it runs with that. If it runs, try the heavier stuff. If you get errors, move the chrono farther away. For the $70.00 I paid for my Chrony, I can live with the inconvenience.

BTW, "sunshade" and "diffuser" are misnomers. They do not help by diffusing the bright light like they tell you in the directions. What they do is provide a bright white backdrop for the sensor to see the bullet against. They provide contrast.

Honestly, if Chrony gave better directions and a better trouble shooting section in their directions, people would have less trouble with them. Instead of telling people to somehow change the sun, they should tell people to use the "diffuser" at all times and to get farther away.

8. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

I have the same model. They're sensitive to light. If your setting up the chrony under the roof/shade at the outdoor range, then you'll get mixed results. Try setting up the chrony outside beyond the roof/shade of the outdoor range, and it should be fine.

If not, rigging up a lighting kit for the chrony would be the only, and preferred option. I made my own rig for about $10.00.

GlockMonk

9. Jumper

Jumper

How did you rig your artificial light?

10. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Don't have any problems with my Chrony. I always use the sky screens. Muzzle blast is the main culprit if I don't read a shot. Simply back up (or push the chrony farther out) and shoot again. No prob.

11. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

i set it up 10 feet away. I don't think there is much more cord left.

12. steve4102

steve4102

10 feet is pretty close depending on the cartridge fired. For handguns like the 45 and high powered rifles mine needs to be at least 15 feet away.

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I keep telling people that. It's understandable that they get fixated on lighting issues and ignore the advice to move farther away since the directions make lighting the answer to all problems. It's much easier to move the thing farther away than to modify the Earth's orbit around the sun.