GlockTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 400 of 696 Posts

·
Mountain Man
6,860 Posts
So sad... One of my first thoughts was on Lt Col. Grossman and his talks and work on addressing school security and preparedness for events like this.

My prayers are with the children, families, students, teachers and community.

·
Lean & Mean
15,410 Posts
This is such a terrible tragedy.
I just can't wrap my head around all this.
Very sad to hear such news...and I'm really, deeply shocked.
RIP to the victims.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I first seen reports on the TV while at my brothers house. I got on my phone during some down time while helping him out. When I saw there were 18 children killed(at the time) I felt my body just go numb. I read him the report and he stopped what he was doing. He has three girls, two in middle and the other in elementary. As is started to settle in that someone just killed 18 children, I had this feeling that I no longer cared what happens with the gun laws.

In my family I'm usually the only one saying, "you can't blame the gun, blame the man behind it." Not today. Today I've just had the thought of whether it is all worth it. How can you kill a child, let alone almost an entire classroom full of them? I have nieces and nephews. I worked at an elementary school, and interacted with children of the same age everyday. I don't want to make my remarks on this tragedy seem political, but I just don't care about the AWB anymore.
-Joel
Like I posted earlier, the biggest school massacre in US history didn't involve a gun..

Neither did the OKC bombing or 9/11, evil people will kill, unless good stops them first.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
I first seen reports on the TV while at my brothers house. I got on my phone during some down time while helping him out. When I saw there were 18 children killed(at the time) I felt my body just go numb. I read him the report and he stopped what he was doing. He has three girls, two in middle and the other in elementary. As is started to settle in that someone just killed 18 children, I had this feeling that I no longer cared what happens with the gun laws.

In my family I'm usually the only one saying, "you can't blame the gun, blame the man behind it." Not today. Today I've just had the thought of whether it is all worth it. How can you kill a child, let alone almost an entire classroom full of them? I have nieces and nephews. I worked at an elementary school, and interacted with children of the same age everyday. I don't want to make my remarks on this tragedy seem political, but I just don't care about the AWB anymore.
-Joel
Just keep in mind that the shooting were done with handguns, and that the "Bushwacker" was found in his car.

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
That's what has been reported. The father at least was killed in his New Jersey home. Not sure about the brother.
No that's not correct. He killed his mother at home then went to the school. Father and brother are alive.

Early reports on these types of thing have in common that they are almost always wrong.

Now only a few hours after the shooting reporters are speculating about why the crazy shooter did what he did, Guess they have to fill air time with something. In time we will get some kind of idea how crazy he was and maybe what signs were there that he would snap and commit mass murder. Or maybe we will never know.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As a retired teacher, I remember realizing a year or so after Columbine and we were practicing "shooter on campus" drills, that this world has defintely gone downhill from when I was a kid and all we had was fire drills.
Sitting here watching the news, my eyes keep filling with tears thinking about those poor children and thier parents. My prayers are with all those involved today - victims, family members, 1st responders, etc.:crying:

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,896 Posts
In time we will get some kind of idea how crazy he was and maybe what signs were there that he would snap and commit mass murder. Or maybe we will never know.
"Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a "personality disorder.""

·
Banned
12,203 Posts
+100000. Train and arm them all.
Most teachers I know, I wouldn't trust with a spork. However, the few that are left over would be perfect candidates for arming.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I came home and held my babies. My older daughter turns 3 today. What a horrible thing to have to share her birthday with such a tragedy.

·
Armed Bear
1,906 Posts
"Ryan Lanza, 24, brother of gunman Adam Lanza, 20, tells authorities that his younger brother is autistic, or has Asperger syndrome and a "personality disorder.""
Where are you getting your information, M&P15T? I can't find those kind of details......

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,896 Posts
Where are you getting your information, M&P15T? I can't find those kind of details......
All over the net, starting on Reuters, then following links from their news feed of the shooting.

·
Registered
17,870 Posts
What a tragedy....I was away and come back to find this. I know mass shootings are not that rare but knowing that many young children were targeted is sickening.

I must also say I am truly disappointed in many of the members here. No better than the anti's many could not wait to use this to support their agenda and then one started blaming the victim before any facts were out to support such an absurd claim.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,000 Posts
20 kids got up this morning and went to school feeling safe. 20 kids will not have another birthday
20 kids will not enjoy romantic love
20 kids will never know the love of their own children
20 kids will never be given the chance to grow up

As someone else said, I have not been this agry and hurt since 9/11. :steamed:

And that is without even accounting for the adults that were killed and the community at large that will be changed forever.
Your post mirrors my feelings.
When I got home from work and turned on the TV, I wept.
I am angry and sick about yet another crazed crackpot carrying out some twisted mission to get famous or get back at somebody or whatever the hell it turns out to be.
Of course, the cry for more gun control is already building, misled "feel good" nonsense that will solve nothing.
But that's for another post at another time.
Tonight is a night for sadness.

·
Don't Jump!
4,347 Posts
Absolutely agree. However, I do want to know if this psycho was on head meds and or if he stopped taking them. The prescription of them has skyrocketed since the 90's and has been involved in the medical history of more than a few of these mass-shooters if I remember correctly. I doubt though that the pharmaceutical companies would allow it to get much play by corporate media who gorge on their advertising dollars.
If he was on meds we will never hear about it.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,896 Posts
4:52 p.m: Neighbors described Adam Lanza to ABC as “odd” and displaying characteristics associated with mental illness.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just keep in mind that the shooting were done with handguns, and that the "Bushwacker" was found in his car.
I used the AWB as an example since the Colorado and Oregon shootings used rifles. And it does not help that the shooter also had a rifle at his disposal even if he didn't use it.

What can really be said to a parent that has lost a child. Especially in the manner that they were killed. This is an incident that has emotional effect across the country. This isn't a red vs. blue, Rep vs. Dem, Pro vs. Anti-Obama, etc. It has almost left me lifeless and I don't have children.
-Joel

·
Registered
481 Posts
Deep felt sympathies for the families who lost their babies today. When I was growing up, we didn't live in the roughest part of town but I remember having armed "narcs" on campus at most times. I have youngins in school and would volunteer to provide security and the gates going forward.

·
Banned
16,152 Posts
What a tragedy....I was away and come back to find this. I know mass shootings are not that rare but knowing that many young children were targeted is sickening.

I must also say I am truly disappointed in many of the members here. No better than the anti's many could not wait to use this to support their agenda and then one started blaming the victim before any facts were out to support such an absurd claim.
Agreed.

·
Deus Diligo USA
3,204 Posts
What a sick world we live in these days...
About the best description of the world we live in is described in
II Timothy 3:1...

As horrible as this event is, I fear we haven't seen the worst yet.

381 - 400 of 696 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.