Shooting at my son’s college dorm

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Cade, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Cade

Cade anti-poster

Woke up at 2am and saw a text from my son about a shooting at his his dorm at WIU. THANKFULLY, he wasn’t in the building at the time. Apparently, the suspect, freshman Kavion Poplous, shot his roommate during an argument and fled the scene. Unknown on the victims condition.

My son wanted to move out of the dorm prior to this so now his case has gotten stronger with the university.

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=17386

catman71 likes this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Sounds Amish. I understand teen suicide is at a record high. Covid seldom is serious but the fear kills.
    Glad your kid is ok. Security depends on the person.
    I went over school safety with my nephew. Where not to sit, improvised weapons, how to create distance...
    If you are the roommate you are sol. But if from hearing first shot, scream you already have a exit strategy. Or secure place planned. You should be fine.

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Holy crap!
    :hugs:

I know less than nothing about Western Illinois University (didn't even recognize the acronym) - but aren't, "like", guns illegal in IL and at colleges - so how could some idiot have shot a roomate?

Yeah, seriously though - if he's been insistent about getting out of that dorm...

P.S. On re-read - is it one of those "freshman must live on campu$$$" stupid rules things?

4. Wojo88

Wojo88

Glad to hear your son is safe, this is so messed up. These should be the best years of a kids life, football games, tailgating, meeting new friends, expanding your horizon's etc. Worry whether your roommate is going to shoot you shouldn't even be on the radar.

5. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

But a campus is an inclusive safe space?
    There is no way this good boy did something bad without triggering stimuli in his environment that was caused by white systemic oppression.

I wonder what it was.

there goes his pre-med degree. Poor soul.

6. Cade

Cade anti-poster

Yes, freshmen must live in dorms but can appeal to get out for different reasons/circumstances. I transferred to WIU as a sophomore in 93 and stayed in a dorm for a semester as I hadn’t found other housing. Joined a frat and left dorm life for good.

Haven’t spoken to my son but I read that they temporarily relocated all the students in Thompson Hall to other facilities- classes cancelled for Wednesday. Don’t know why the entire building had to be emptied/ I can understand a floor or wing as there is a crime scene but it is what it is.

Jesus- my son was born in August 2001 (19 day’s prior to 9/11). Graduated HS in 2020 (Chinavirus pandemic). Now this (not a “school shooting” and he wasn’t present/witness- but still).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    MB-G26 likes this.
  7. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Just another manifestation of our worsening society...what do you suppose our grand parents would have said about cops in our schools and armed parishioners in our Churches?...the country has changed so much in the past 30 years as to be unrecognizable to many

Doc Holliday, Bish1309 and RF7126 like this.
  8. Detectorist

Detectorist

I bet the shooter has a police record. Glad your son is ok. That school only has a 53% graduation rate. Not very good.

Paul53 likes this.
  9. Wojo88

Wojo88

I would be very interested in the gun registration and where it came from.........

treg likes this.
  10. MB-G26

Well, it is gawdawful O'Dark:thirty IL time, right? Likely he's asleep? But me, being the Touch My Kid And Die parent I am, were it my kiddo's dorm involved, I'd be at best pacing the floor like a madwoman. (Although, <hands on hips> I'm supposed to STOP "thinking of him as a "kidlette" 'caz he's 30 yo.... but still... )
    "Abundance of caution" and all that happy horseshyte kind of thing? Maybe Shooter Jackazz made or was "attributed" addtl threats? Even if it's "just Campu$ Security" (vs. Real Police) better that abundance of caution? In today's world especially, one unanticipated 'mis-step' and whoopsie daisy! all hell gonna rain down ....
    I know! I think Kiddo graduated HS in 2008? Ish... (my mom died proximately to then, so dates get kinda fuzzy.) But there is no such thing for an involved parent as "never worry." There just isn't. :hug:

And my Mr. All-Growed Up yes, I know not "a real word" but it's MY word is 30 yo old, successful, happy, healthy, creative, smart as a whip, lives totally independantly, and while a bit too liberal to my liking sometimes, there's not a drop of my blood I wouldn't offer up for him, his beloved, and my Grand-puppy, for that matter.

I was fretting over the state of things, badly, lately. Asking myself: "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?" about having brought a child into what has become of this world....

mj9mm likes this.
  11. Cade

Cade anti-poster

His initial text informed me of the shooting and he said he wasn’t at the dorm- so I’m good if he’s good. I knew I wouldn’t text or call as he was likely up late being relocated so we’ll get in touch with him later this morning. My wife, OTOH, is taking this as expected- Woke up, saw his text and called me at work balling. I had to reassure her that our 19yo son is fine and will get through this as he has all the other obstacles in his life.

MB-G26 likes this.
  12. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

That's a bit telling isn't it? Lower the standards to be more inclusive and get the dregs of society. How could they have not seen that coming? Universities are becoming more and more like inner city high schools, rife with drugs and violence. We will never learn.

glock collector and LEO/Dad like this.
  13. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Unfortunately a recently replaced Black WIU president wanted to diversify the student population. Equal blacks with whites. Reportedly entrance requirements were lowered. Chicago gang bangers moved in. Amtrak passes through the town from Chicago. There have been problems on the train. Eventually fights were common on campus. Parents pulled students from school. I am surprised the school isn't closed. I live in the area. The news media has reported all of this.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  14. Kentak

Kentak

I'm guessing not Amish.
    [​IMG]

larry_minn and Paul53 like this.
  15. Cade

Cade anti-poster

lt’s still a good school for those pursuing a LEJA degree. Consider this job shadowing, before the job.

Paul53 likes this.
  16. Kentak

Kentak

duplicate

Paul53 likes this.
  17. MB-G26

Baseball scholarship? Or high school photo...

18. Cade

Cade anti-poster

Not on their roster

MB-G26 likes this.
  19. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

Oooffff. Transfer him to a college that’s not funneling in all the riff-raff from Chicago.

treg and Bren like this.
  20. Kentak

Kentak

Don't know. The photo is from the university website announcing the shooting.

MB-G26 likes this.