Shooting a G27.. Ouch

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by itstime, Feb 21, 2010.

1. itstime

itstime

Am I the only one that when shooting a 27 the recoil slams the trigger guard into my trigger finger to which it causes pain?

I don't have an extension on the mags.

I shoot many high power calibers including all the magnums and 50 but it only happens on this gun.

Just wondering, I read a lot of threads where people love this gun and I really don't.

I've only shot it once want to get more rounds through it but I think it's weird that I'm probably the only person this happens to. :whistling::whistling:

2. Adionik

Adionik

Damn...makes me happy I went with the g26 :D

3. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I like the 27 and have no issues shooting it, like it better than the 23. My wife can shoot the 27 well and likes it too. Might be how you are holding it?

4. itstime

itstime

True story, there was a 26 for sale here local. I went to shoot my 27, came home started the computer to buy the 26 and it was sold already.

5. itstime

itstime

It really has to be. I don't get enough of my hand on the grip and the recoil snaps it back too much.

6. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I've never had that problem and my first Glock was a 27. Have you tried holding it tighter?

7. den888

den888

The recoil of the .40S&W is pretty sharp with the G27, try smaller bullet weights (155, 165 gr).

8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Try the extended base plates with the finger grove. Not the extend capacity ones, just the standard finger grove extension. Several people that I have talked with at the range have had the issue that your describing and by adding the finger grove base plates to their mags solved it. I hope this helps. :wavey:

9. Conan1

Conan1

I have a G27 with the extended mag grip but it still has quite a bit of kick to it. I'm 6'3",250# but it does hurt my wrists after shooting 30-40 rounds. Problem is I'm starting to get carpel tunnel from too much computer use, I think. Anyway, the point is, I like shooting my G22 a whole lot better than the smaller G27 due to the absorbing ability of the bigger gun. I continue to carry the 27 for CCW though. LCP for BUG.

10. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

11. Conan1

Conan1

I'm gripping the G27 fine, its just my wrists are getting weaker in my old age due to the carpal tunnel. Crap, I'll be using Depends next........

12. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Of the full power 40 S&W ammo I think the 180 grain bullet loads are the mildest. There are some "medium" loads available, but most 155 and 165 bullet loads are hotter.

13. NYresq

NYresq

Never had any problems with the trigger guard hitting my fingers on recoil, even without the pearce grip extensions. Even shooting hot 357sig duty rounds with a conversion barrel is comfortable in my hands. But the finger extensions do make it better for my paws. I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I have very large palms but I don't have long fingers (picture a bear paw) and the g27 is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

14. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

I've had my G27 about 12 years and have the Pearce finger extension on it, made a big difference and I have medium sized hands. Many rounds thru it, was my LEO off duty pistol. I'm now retired, never had a failure, so its my EDC. I know its "snappy" so I always have a good, high as possible, grip on it. I routinely qualified with it on a police qual course.

15. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy

I have owned and carried a G-27 for years now and my wife and I have put thousands of rounds through it with not one problem. I own a 19, 36, and 27, the 27 is by far my favorite. Just grip it tight, hold on just like you should any pistol. IMHO.

16. English

English

No, you are not the only one and it is not a problem with your grip but with your hand and the design of the Glock.

This is something that happens to people with long hands. A proper grip starts with the location of the back strap in the web of the hand. The fingers then wrap round the front strap starting from that basis. If the second finger ends up with the middle bone of the three square across the front strap, there is no problem. With a longer hand, the finger goes a little further round the front strap and the knuckle comes under the trigger guard to a greater or lesser extent. Because the knuckle is much thicker than the bone between the joints it is them much more likely to be hit by the trigger guard as the pistol recoils. The knuckle does not need to be directly under the trigger guard because the pistol twists as it recoils.

You don't say whether you have shot other Glocks, but although the higher recoil of the .40S&W is an obvious factor you are likely to have the same problem with a 9mm. Strange as it might seem, you could probably fire 10mms in the G20 or G29 without a problem because the longer front to back dimension of the grip frame will position you finger so that the knuckle is not under the trigger guard.

There are three potential solutions. In view of the 10mm's in built solution you might think that the back strap could be built up a little but that would create problems with the pin holding the trigger unit in place. Next up is to build up the side of the grip frame to move your finger to the side. Third is to change the shape of the trigger guard. Since this requires only the removal of material rather than the addition of material, it is the option I prefer and the one I use.

As the pistol recoils, it simultaneously moves back in the hand and rotates muzzle upwards and twists about the barrel axis. If you file and sand the underside of the trigger guard to change the abrupt drop in front of the knuckle to a more gradual drop, the muzzle flip will lift the shallower angle over your knuckle rather than hitting it.

If you look at the shape of the trigger guard starting from the grip, the first part is an arc of a circle with its centre below the guard and ahead of the grip. That then reverses into an arc with its centre inside the guard. The first principle is that you must not raise the highest point of the first arc since that would lift your knuckle and make it more likely to be hit. Part way round that arc as the line is angling down and forward you must take a tangent that cuts through the second arc to create a downward slope that makes the trigger guard about half its thickness at what will become the thinnest point. File most of this away, taking care not to damage the remainder of the first arc. I say "most" because the file will drag gouges into the surface which you will then need to take out with different grades of sand paper. You want to avoid roughness of finish for more than aesthetic reasons.

Before you start finishing the surface with sand paper, fair the front end of your tangent into the horizontal section of the trigger guard.

Now, using sandpaper of about 300 grit over a former, sand the guard down close to its final shape. It might help to produce a slight chamfer on either side of the mid line and you should definitely round off the edges of your work. remember it moves sideways as well as backwards under recoil!

Then progress to finer and finer grades of sand paper or emery paper of the kind used in car body repair shops. The paper will pull up small furry strands of plastic which will give a light grey appearance. If you finish with 1200 grit wet and dry paper, or finer, used wet, it will leave a very smooth surface of normal colour. Even if the guard does contact your knuckle it will now do so lightly and will slide over rather than grabbing it with friction.

You will need a padded vice and the whole job, done by hand, should be done in 30 to 45 minutes. If you use a Dremel it will be quicker but will be much easier to get wrong.

English

17. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

I can shoot the 27 just fine, but really don't enjoy it. That's why I sold mine and got a 39 in 45GAP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GunQuest

GunQuest NRA Member

I got rid of my G27 as well....The 26 is far more enjoyable to shoot...I could not shoot the 27 well at all....my other carry gun is a G23 that I shoot great with.

19. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Man up or sell it to me.

I love my Glock .40s.

20. Hairy

Hairy

"ditto"