close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting a Bear - JHP or FMJ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Braden, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Braden

Braden

I'll be spending a week in the mountains of Colorado in a few weeks. While I'm not really concerned about a bear encounter, I know it's still a possibility. I'll be armed just as I always am, but I was considering swapping out the JHP I keep in my mags for FMJ while I'm on the mountain (thinking if I have to shoot a bear then FMJ would probably offer better penetration).

What say you, GT? FMJ or JHP for bear? Gun is a G23 (unless I decide to take my G22).

And yes...I'm aware that a handgun isn't optimal for taking down a bear, but I'm quite certain that it's more effective than bear spray.

2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

3. B_RAD

B_RAD

thinking the same thing......

4. catchthis45

catchthis45 T Streetz

FMJ !!! REMEMBER, SHOT PLACEMENT IS CRITICAL. :cool:

5. bac1023

bac1023

FMJ for sure

A handgun isn't the issue. 500 magnum or 454 Casull with hard cast lead bullets will do more to stop a bear charge than most high powered hunting rifles.

Your issue is that you're trying to use a service round.

6. Adamz04

Adamz04

I hike often and have bear spray. From what I've read it is much more effective than a handgun for instant results. I've read it's really effective on black bear and not quite as much on brown bear(for obvious reasons).
    I would take your spray as a first choice.
    If you don't hit the bear in the head or CNS chances are you won't have time to get off enough shots before it gets you, especially if it's protecting cubs.

That being said if its only bear your concerned about I'd go with a flat nose fmj. Bear skulls are very thick and you will need more penetration. If you don't get it in the head you will want some to go deep to get some vitals. I've never shot a bear so I don't know from experience but that's probably what I would do.

If your around brown bear get more gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. Braden

Braden

Nevermind.

8. Braden

Braden

I realize that something more powerful than a .40 would be a better option, but it's what I have.

9. Braden

Braden

Honestly, I don't know what kind of bear are in the area. It's Mt. Massive in CO if anyone is familiar with what's around there. I'm not too worried about it. I figure the chances of seeing a bear are slim to none, but if I do see one and I do have to shoot one I'd like to at least help my chances.

10. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I've never shot a bear
    I think penetration would be at a premium
    If I was unfortunate enough to only have a 40 S&W, but fortunate enough to actually get off a round prior to the sound of my skin being ripped & bones breaking:
    180 FMJ

11. bac1023

bac1023

FMJ is defintely better than JHP for your purposes.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Me either

...hope I never have to

13. Adamz04

Adamz04

I understand, sometimes it's hard to ask a question like that without everyone telling you that more gun is required. I think a g23 is okay to defend yourself for black bear IMO. If its what you have then by all means take it.
    Check into ordering a box of fmj from underwood ammo. I think they are around 18 dollars and they may give you a little more power without having to change guns. Although I think they are + p rounds and I don't know if glock 40 has adequate chamber support in 40 for those. That would be a question someone else would have to answer.

14. B_RAD

B_RAD

My dad lives in Colorado Springs. I called him today to wish happy fathers day. There has been a black bear that has been coming in lately. He saw it today @ 35 yds. He said it could be a record size black bear it's that big. He's a butcher who processes game animals for a living. The problem in that area right now is there's drought and in some places in CO wild fires. This is causing food shortages for the animals in some places. The bear my dad is seeing broke into a pin and ran off with a goat. It's been seen a lot of the last week or two. The local authorities have given premission to kill the bear.

Anyways, you never know how big a bear could be out there. All I know is, I'd sure hate to be thinkin "I wish I would have brought more" while a bear is eating me.

Kidding.....

Kind of....

Be carefull.

15. Braden

Braden

Worst case I'll empty both mags and then use my mad ninja skills.

16. tango44

tango44

Get bear spray, no needs to shoot.

17. B_RAD

B_RAD

You should have said that from the beginning! You've got this!

KEY-YA!!

18. boxingref_rick

boxingref_rick

Brown bear?
    Give said bear the finger, shoot him in the nads twice with the Kel-tec P32 you keep for emergency's - then touch little barrel to the side of the head, and gently squeeze and repeat as needed!

Oh yeah, I forgot ...
    I prefer HP, it should do quite nicely!

19. SanJuanTrout

SanJuanTrout usmcold0311

Pepper spray over a glock 23, LOL, tree hugger propaganda. Do not fall for it.

20. scosgt

scosgt

Any handgun under a .44 Magnum may give you piece of mind but not much more:

The great bears of North America are the largest land predators on earth. Grizzly and brown bears are actually the same species, the distinction between the two being geographic rather than genetic. The great bears of the Alaskan coastal region are called brown bears; inland they become grizzly bears.

The average female grizzly bear weighs about 400 pounds and the average male about 700 pounds. The famous salmon fed male brown bears of Alaska's Kodiak Island might run 1000 pounds and in extreme cases can weigh as much as 1600 pounds. Male polar bears average about 900 pounds live weight. Very large individuals can reach 1100 pounds, and in extreme cases males can weigh as much as 1550 pounds and females as much as 900 pounds. For all of these figures I am indebted to the research conducted and published by Edward A Matunas in the 47th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook.

When you realize that the average male Jaguar of South America weighs about 200 pounds, the average adult male African lion weighs about 350 pounds and an adult Bengal tiger might weigh 400 pounds, the massive size of the great North American predators is brought into chilling perspective. In the days before the white man decimated the bison of the North American plains, grizzly bears regularly preyed upon these massive bovines!

While .30-30 and 6.5x55 caliber rifles have felled large numbers of these monsters, such feats were usually performed by explorers, residents of the far north, and indigenous substance hunters. 12 gauge shotguns stuffed with slugs or heavy buckshot have been carried for protection against large bears and the great cats, with mixed results. And the Maasi tribesmen of Africa traditionally killed lions with a spear. Unfortunately, while all of these weapons are better than nothing, a powerful rifle is far superior. Modern sportsmen are best served by something other than a spear, a shotgun, a .30-30, or a 6.5x55 when hunting the great predators of Africa, North America, and the Arctic.

The great bears have thick fur, tough skin, heavy bones, and very strong muscles. Premium, controlled expansion bullets are the medicine of choice. The Nosler Partition bullet, for example, has been a favorite of experienced Alaskan hunters for decades.

The minimum recommended calibers for all of the great bears are the .30-06 Springfield with 180 grain (SD .271) to 220 grain (SD .331) bullets, and any of the standard length 7mm Magnum cartridges with 175 grain (SD .310) bullets. In addition to the .30-06, other suitable standard cartridges include the .338-06 A-Square and .35 Whelen, both with 225 to 250 grain bullets.