Shooting .45Super in Glock 21SF, experiences?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 21Glock, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 21Glock

21Glock

I have heard experiences from some of you fine folks on shooting the .45Super in your Glock 21 and 21SFs and I appreciate your input. I have decided to follow the advice of some and set my 21SF up for occasional shooting the .45Super with heavy (22lb.) recoil springs, SS guide rod and a Lone Wolf chamber supported barrel and .45Super brass.

I'm curious, what are some of your other experiences with this round in the Glock 21 platform. In other words, the dos and don'ts to be mindful of that you have found out in shooting the .45Super in your 21s?

I will be shooting this round on an occasional basis in my 21SF and am not dedicating the gun to full time .45Super shooting, just for practice and hunting.

Thanks.

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I recomend that you use a 6" KKM barrel and a longslide to increase slide mass and control slide velocity. Here is a longslide that weighs 20.4 oz versus 16.8 oz for the standard 21 slide.
    [​IMG]

3. BFN

BFN

G26S239,

Can you explain more about your longslide set-up? Where did you get your slide? I would like to have a lightweight longslide 45 ACP for +P or Super.

Thanks

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I got mine some years back from Jarvis with a fitted 40 Super barrel. I already had a 6" KKM barrel in 45 ACP which the gentlemen at KKM okayed for use with 45 Super over the phone. The Lone Wolf slide has lightening cuts and will cost less than the Jarvis slide. The weight with empty magazine is 35 oz. Your 21 is ready for +P out of the box.

5. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks for the info. Is that a Lone Wolf long slide?

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

No mine is from Jarvis but the people on this site who have Lone Wolf slides like them and report good quality. Lone Wolf did hard chrome and install night sights on my Glock 36, I am quite satisfied with it.

7. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

I could never get mine 100% reliable. Would have some ftf where round would hit front of mag, using 22 and 24lb springs. Slide velocity is too high. ACE inTX said the only way they got the G21 OK was with a ported slide and barrel. After all my testing , I don't recommend it.

8. 21Glock

21Glock

I'm thinking I could use the 6" barrel with +P loads to get near or close to .45 Super velocity. Also a ported 6" barrel would be better as well.
    Thanks.

9. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

My personal combination: G21-C (compensated) Stock Glock barrel, 24 lb. recoil spring, stainless guide rod, Buffer Technologies shock buffer.

No malfunctions, with stock current and 3 year old well used magazines.

To date the above combination has been flawless! Plenty of rounds down range.

**THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE MAX LOAD** New Starline 45 Super Brass, Speer Gold Dot 185gr. .451" 1.200" OAL, Power Pistol 11.3 grains, CCI LG Pistol, 1400+ fps. Loads of 10.0 Grains of Power Pistol are very nice. For safety sake I would start with 9.5 grains of Power Pistol.
    **Please note that this is in my firearm only. I do not make any claims as to the suitability of this load, nor do I accept any responsability for your safety. All handloading safety instructions should be adhered to at all times!!

10. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks for the info. What kind of velocity are you getting with the 230grs. rounds? Who makes your guide rod and springs? ISMI I think only goes to 22lbs. on their Glock recoil springs. Are the springs Wolffs? Have you ever used 22lb. springs with the .45 Super?
    I'll be using a Lone Wolf barrel, that has the chamber fully supported.

11. xdmikey

xdmikey

i have an lwd longslide w/barrel in 45; also a kkm barrel in 10mm.
    i asked questions of 45Super-man and got great responses as well, regarding longslide/45super rounds.
    email me if you feel you need more info.
    my contribution to your post is that i, too, have had some failure to load using the above parts in 10mm but i'm using the stock spring currently and it was only upon the first round-releasing the slide!
    good luck-you won't be sorry!

12. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of going to a 22lb. ISMI spring with the SS guide rod(T.H.E.) and using the Buffer Tech recoil buffer along with the .45 Super brass.
    I did however, talk with Mark at ISMI this past week, and he said they are going to be coming out with a 24lb. spring in about a month or so. I might try that as well.

13. xdmikey

xdmikey

i have that setup minus the buffer tech part.
    i followed COSteve on arfcom as far as what he did. he says all you need is a 22# spring; however, there is a guy w/a 24# spring.
    soemone asked where he got it and he said it came in a box og parts he bought.
    if the spring is too powerful it will chew up your brass unless you have 'rocket loads'. i think w/45+p the 22# will be fine. so far i'm using the stock one.
    keep me posted please.
    michael

14. 21Glock

21Glock

So you are shooting the .45 Super with the 22lb. springs or it is just the +P rounds with the 22lbs. ones?

I don't have Power Pistol powder yet. I did some looking on the midway site and it got some pretty good reviews. Several people I've seen on here are using the 22lb. springs with the .45 Super loads and look like their doing OK with their shooting of the.45 Super in the 21.
    Thanks.