close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting .45 Super in Glock 21SF, recoil buffers required?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 21Glock, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 21Glock

21Glock

Hi guys,
    I am going to be setting up my Glock 21SF for occasional shooting of .45 Super loads. I'll be going with a T.H.E. SS guide rod and 22lb. ISMI spring, a Lone Wolf barrel, with the supported chamber and of course, .45 Super brass from midway.
    My question, is a recoil buffer a necessity or an optional extra that would help to keep the frame from being battered more with the hotter .45 Super loads?

Thanks.

2. 2 Hawks

2 Hawks ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've shot 45 super ammo in my H&K USP, it's a whole different animal to say the least. It'll be hard on the gun for sure so I would research this as much as possible. I'd hate to see a destroyed gun just to try something new..:dunno:

3. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

What advantage are you trying to get out of using the .45 super? Just to be able to have the option to shoot them? Just Curious...

4. 21Glock

21Glock

For hunting purposes and woods carry. I've heard some of the .45 Super shooters are using their 21s for Whitetail hunting, which I could do next Fall here in Georgia.
    I would like, but don't have the funds currently for a 20SF in 10mm for hunting, so this is next best thing, cost wise.

5. 21Glock

21Glock

Have you changed out to a heavier recoil spring when you were shooting the .45 Super rounds?
    I have seen some of the other 21 shooters who did OK with just heavier(22-24lb. ) springs on their guns.

6. Old Toryu

Old Toryu

According to Buffalo Bore's website, their 10mm in 180 gr and 200 gr are loaded to the same velocity as their .45 Super in 185 gr and 200 gr respectively. What advantage does 10mm have over it? Also, how does .45 Super batter a frame more than higher pressure rounds?

7. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

If you want to use a buffer that's actually designed correctly for the Glock, use Wilsons. I used a Lonewolf 6 inch s/s .45acp barrel, T.H.E s/s guiderod, ISMI #22lb recoil spring and Wolff mag springs for my G21 Super conversion and it ran perfectly. If you go to the big dawgs sub-forum here on GT, there's an excellent stickie about the .45Super there!

8. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Pressure has nothing to do with frame battering by itself...;if it did, 35k psi 9x19 loads would be an issue over time.

The velocity of the load combined with the bullet weight determines the slide velocity;one can get equal or higher slide velocities with a 28k psi .45 Super load as with a 33k psi 10mm load.

The .45 Super is a viable alternative to the 10mm, and I think a 230 gr XTP propelled at even 900-1000 fps is likely plenty for the wooly mammoth sized deer running around in bitterly cold Georgia! :) (If they are as big as most I've hunted in SC, a well placed .32 ACP would suffice! :))

9. 21Glock

21Glock

I used your advice to come up with the way I want to set my 21SF up soon. My LW barrel is stock length. I take it you've decided to pass on the buffer for your set up.
    Thanks as always, .45 Super-Man

10. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

I have a Wilson buffer in my Glock 20's slide, even when using the .40 bbl; it shows no sign of early splitting, and I'd use them for use with the .45 Super....; plastic impacting on steel impacting on plastic is bound to save at least *some* potential wear...

11. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

This place will have all the answers.
    http://www.acecustom45s.com/45super.htm

Here is their list of parts and they have a disclaimer.....you must have your G21 Magna-Ported after you install these parts or you'll damage the gun.
    1. "45Super"® Barrel - Manufactured by Bill Jarvis @ Jarvis Gunsmithing with "45Super"® logo engraved on barrel ​
    2. Glock 21 "45Super"® heavy duty guide rod and 25lb recoil spring ​
    3. Extra Power magazine spring (10 rd) ​
    4. Pearce Glock Grip Enhancer ​
    5. Jentra Glock Grip Plug ​
    Here is the disclaimer:
    *Note - After installation of our component parts the customer must then have his-her pistol auto-ported by Mag-Na-Post Int. Inc., just as we do! Failure to have the auto-porting process performed prior to firing "45Super"® ammunition can cause damage to the pistol!

Since they aren't doing the conversion, just selling you the parts, they really sound like their only interest is having you keep your gun safe and sound. So, for $400 + the Magna Porting cost you are almost up the the cost of a G20!​

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

The reason only Ace can sell the 45 Super barrels is because Garey Hindman Trademarked the name 45 Super so no one can manufacture the ammo or barrels labeled 45 Super without him making his dime. That may have something to do with not many people loading the 45 Super commercially.
    http://www.acecustom45s.com/45super.htm

Here is their list of parts and they have a disclaimer.....you must have your G21 Magna-Ported after you install these parts or you'll damage the gun.
    1. "45Super"® Barrel - Manufactured by Bill Jarvis @ Jarvis Gunsmithing with "45Super"® logo engraved on barrel ​
      KKM G21 barrel for $165 + S&H. I called KKM and asked them if their 6" 45 ACP barrel could handle the extra pressure before shooting it, it worked fine with the regular slide.
    2. Glock 21 "45Super"® heavy duty guide rod and 25lb recoil spring ​
      Available as 24# spring and rod set from Wolff for $29.95 + S&H.
    3. Extra Power magazine spring (10 rd) ​
      Also available from Wolff for $17.29 + S&H for a 3 pack.
    4. Pearce Glock Grip Enhancer ​
      Not needed.
    5. Jentra Glock Grip Plug ​
      Not needed.
    Here is the disclaimer:
    *Note - After installation of our component parts the customer must then have his-her pistol auto-ported by Mag-Na-Post Int. Inc., just as we do! Failure to have the auto-porting process performed prior to firing "45Super"® ammunition can cause damage to the pistol!

Since they aren't doing the conversion, just selling you the parts, they really sound like their only interest is having you keep your gun safe and sound. So, for $400 + the Magna Porting cost you are almost up the the cost of a G20!​
    They are selling a barrel, guide rod and spring and one magazine spring for $399 without the liability. Everything needed can be bought for less than $250 delivered. I consider a longslide the better alternative for controlling slide velocity in 45 Super. This is not an attack on you jaybird I just object to Hindman trademarking the 45 Super name. His father and the other co developers of the cartridge never did that, they actually wanted it to catch on.

13. 21Glock

21Glock

Your 21 isn't magna-ported is it, .45 Super-Man? Is the SS LW 6" barrel , ported at all?

14. 21Glock

21Glock

Hi, .45 Super-Man I'm trying to find the big dawg sub-forum. How do I get to it from here?
    Thanks.

15. Pappy John

Pappy John

Yes, I'm very interested in this too.

If I could get my G21 properly set up for this round, I could make a present of my G20 to my son-in-law, who's been jonesing for a 10mm for a while now.

The above discussion about Ace is very helpful, but I like to gather info from several sources before starting this type of project.

16. Winston.Smith

Winston.Smith Dismembered

Has anyone shot .45 Super through their new Glock 21 4th Generation? Can you even get heavier (22 lbs ...ish) springs for the G21 Gen 4s yet?

17. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Ace is just out to make money IMO!!!
    You don't need half the changes that Ace claims you "HAVE" to have.
    I have a S&W 4506 and a G21sf 3rd Gen converted and they work fine. I do only shoot about 200 rounds a year of 45 Super per gun however!

"Here is their list of parts and they have a disclaimer.....you must have your G21 Magna-Ported after you install these parts or you'll damage the gun.
    1. "45Super"® Barrel - Manufactured by Bill Jarvis @ Jarvis Gunsmithing with "45Super"® logo engraved on barrel"​
    You don't need a Magna-Ported barrel!! It helps but is not necessary. And you don't need one of there stupid engraved barrels or a grip plug!! WTF.

I use a buffer , either Wilson, Buffer Technology or Action Impact Reducers and I think they work but it's not so much in how it feels but what it's doing. It's reducing the slide impact on its return mainly. I just make sure to check them every time I clean the gun and replace about every 100 rounds or so.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  18. Chronos

Chronos

As pointed out above, 45 super has an almost identical impulse compared with full-power 10mm (200gr and below, anyway -- would have to double-check for the 230gr). And Glock uses the same recoil spring for both the G20 and G21. The only real mechanical difference from 45acp to 10mm coming from the factory is that the G20 slide is a bit heavier. So, although I haven't tried it myself, I would imagine that you'd be completely fine with just the 45 super barrel and your 22lb recoil spring. Especially considering that it's only an occasional thing, and not a steady diet.

19. Big Shrek

Big Shrek

Far less expensive to get a G20 Long Slide...10mm Buffalo Bore will take Georgia Deer...
    especially those that accidently stray across the Florida line...lol

20. Cycletroll

Cycletroll

I shoot 275gr LFN@ 1100fps and 230XTP@1250 out of my G21 with LW barrel and a 24# spring. Recoil is stout but no need for buffer; a heavier spring is fine.
    And before everybody jumps on the bandwagon:

My handloads work well in my gun but may be dangerous or deadly in yours. Approach .45 Super loads with caution particularly with a stock barrel as chamber support is seriously lacking!