Shoot to "Kill" VS. Shoot to "Stop the Threat"

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by bikethief, Feb 22, 2010.

1. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Posted this in another forum under a thread discussing the merits of firing a "warning shot."

This wasn't that well received in that forum so I'll post it here also so I can get more opinions. Tell me what you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (from "warning shot thread")

Great thread! If I may also add:

This concept has helped me greatly in the formation of my personal defensive mindset.

Shooting to "KILL" VS. Shooting to "Stop the threat"

In my opinion, always shoot to "stop the threat." If the BG gets 2 to the chest and 1 in the head in the process, then chalk it up to your good training. If he dies in the process, that's too bad for him and a bonus to society.

This way, any moral barriers that are hotwired into our psyche about taking another life will be automatically circumvented. This will lead to faster reaction times and, ultimately, a clearer mind during a life threatening situation. By concentrating on "stopping the threat" you remove the emotional factor involved in ending another persons life for at least the time it takes to finish the fight. We can deal with the guilt (if any) after we have prevailed.

An added bonus to this mindset is realized in the aftermath. What will sound better to a judge? "I had to kill him." OR "I felt my life was threatened and I had to stop the threat." "It was either him or me!" OR "I didn't want to kill him, I just wanted to stop the threat."

Going back to the original topic, the warning shot has no place in any justifiable shooting. If you have enough time to shout a verbal warning AND fire a warning shot, then your life isn't in enough danger to justify taking a life. A warning shot during a home invasion can have disastrous consequences. It may escalate an otherwise non-life threatening situation into a scenario where you have lost all tactical advantage. It also puts family members around you in danger. I'm speaking, of course, as a civilian defending my own life. A law enforcement officer operates under very different rules of engagement. But the fact that even the PNP doesn't allow warning shots should say a lot about the subject.

Again, great thread guys! There should be more threads like this in (forum). We have a lot of threads discussing gun parts, trends, and brands but not enough discussions on the nature of the lifestyle we have chosen to adopt. -end-

2. Allegra

Allegra

baliwala ang warning shot kung di naman takot yung criminal sa baril

3. wunder9

wunder9

I've read a number stories wherein the shooter successfully neutralized a BG but got criticized or worse, prosecuted for shooting the BG centermass or headshot, instead of extremities (arm, leg) or other non-lethal part of body.

This is puzzling & silly since there is no such defensive training or shooting discipline wherein you get highest number of points for hitting Deltas.

If all shooters aim to hit the BG's vitals during training every time, why would they suddenly aim for anything else during an actual shootout?

4. Frmboybuck

Frmboybuck ***** medic

I would always fire a warning shot....my aim is rather bad though and my warning shots all end up COM. In all seriousness, if I have to draw my weapon, I'm gonna shoot until I feel safe. If that means I hit him in the hand and he runs away or I hit him in the chest and he bleeds out. I don't care which way it happens so long as I don't have any extra holes in me.

5. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

There was a thread on this point years ago in this forum. Anyway bikethief you are correct, "the best kind of correct" (Futurama fans know this:supergrin:). Shooting is for stopping the threat; if as a consequence the bad guy dies, it can't be helped, it was his choice to attack you and your right to shoot back in self-defense. Shooting to kill means intent to kill, something frowned upon in our penal laws; plus the courts will not look kindly on your filling him with lead when it was already unnecessary as the attack had already ceased and he was already writhing on the ground.

Warning shots? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; remember what goes up comes down.

6. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Mas Ayoob couldn't have said it better :) Shoot to stop.

7. productionguy

productionguy what a move!!!!

i will shoot warning shot but gun is pointing to the bg..

8. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

how about you shoot to save yourself and your love ones? IMHO, both are the best reason to shoot. in a situation like that for me not to get confused, i'll follow my instinct... survival instinct! the more you think, the more you be confused and rattled. focus on your goal/s which is be out of the situation unharmed and alive!

9. cznayr

cznayr Dis-member

I agree with Saki. If I'm to take the stand, I would always say .. I didn't shoot to kill but I did shoot to live.

10. Black_SIR

Black_SIR

If he dies in the process, that's too bad for him and a bonus to society.

VERY WELL SAID BRO :whistling:

11. zorkd

zorkd

i feared for my life, i want the perp arrested (even if said perp is obviously dead), i want my lawyer.

three things you need to say.

12. asian_glockster

asian_glockster Hook Up!!!!!!!!

I will keep on shooting until the threat is neutralized.

13. choi_tan2000

choi_tan2000 BoG # 55555

plus 1

14. sandman_sy

sandman_sy

true2x... for me, depende talaga.. if i'm with my loved ones.. i'd hold till my very best not to draw my unit.. but when the gun draws out.. it means.. the bad guy needs to fall.. meaning extreme situation na talaga... :(

15. parakratos

parakratos

In any situation when talking about self defense, there are always many clauses in our law, and normally protects BG due to human rights BS... I would say better him (BG) covered in newspapers rather than me being one of the statistics....in the first place the Bg chose his fate already by attacking me and his fate of early meeting his best friend lucifer.......

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  16. mikesommer

mikesommer

I don't want to kill anyone, but if you choose my family and/or myself as a target, I will do whatever it takes to stop that threat....