Shockwave 590 setup help

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Thunderstruck, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

how do you like the feel and ergos of the TL racker?
    Debating if this is the best way to add a light

2. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Put a stock on it

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

I REALLY don’t understand why everyone says this...

my thought are - this isn’t made for clay shooting or “accurate” shooting - you just need MOA-chest size.
    I have a shotgun with a stock that I like... putting one on the shockwave defeats the purpose of having a small, more concealable weapon.
    These are great hone defense and truck guns.... not claybird or sporting shotguns

the intent, use, etc is much different from a 18-20 barrel 590 to the shockwave 590

with all that said, I do like some of the looks of the braced shockwaves with o tax stamp. I highly doubt I will get a brace for mine though... that’s why I have other shotguns/weapons for those other purposes
    With a tax stamp, shockwave makes for a great SBS but I’m not going that direction.
    I respect people’s opinions and understand why people say “put a stock on it”, but really the shockwave has a very specific use and intent.

a full sized 590 may be much more versatile and makes sense if you only could have ONE shotgun, but that is not the case for me or my intend use of it

4. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Sorry it’s a silly weapon marketed to people that just don’t know

buckshot patterns even with cylinder chokes still need to be aimed

oldenway and hogarth like this.
  5. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

:rolleyes:

B C likes this.
  6. evlbruce

evlbruce

Put a Yute stock on mine and it's a fantastic and relatively cheap SBS.

7. hogarth

hogarth

There's no denying that it's compact size is great for storage. But that's about it.

You say it's great for home defense. Okay, what's the longest distance in your house you would likely have to take a shot with such a weapon? Across a room? Down a hallway? Unless you live in quite the spread, chances are your buckshot pattern will still be quite tight, meaning you will indeed have to AIM the shotgun, and that is best done with a stock. If you miss, that's errant pellets hitting......something. You are responsible for those pellets. All of them. Also, saying all you need to do is put it on a chest and fire is great....until you have to take a hostage shot. Very do-able with my SBS out to about 10 yards with Federal FC, but only because it has a stock.

Truck gun? Almost the opposite issue which still is a negative for the shockwave. You have no idea how far you'll have to shoot it, since now you do not dictate the environment. So are you just going to be flinging pellets downrange from the hip with no real accountability for them? Hit my family members because you chose your "truck gun" poorly, and you'll have plenty to answer for.

As for maneuverability in close confines, one of the benefits of having a stock is that you can short-stock the shotgun over your shoulder and keep it very tight to your body and still shoot it accurately. Can't be done with a shockwave-type gun since there's no stock to put on top of your shoulder. Thus, it actually ends up LONGER in your hands than an 18 inch gun that's being short-stocked.

Fast reloads with the shockwave are also an issue, since you cannot keep the weapon in your shoulder as an extra point of contact. I can do a 1 reload 1 drill with my shotguns faster than I can draw a secondary handgun......I'm QUITE SURE I can do a 1 reload 1 drill with my shotguns faster than pretty much anyone can with a shockwave.

With five defensive shotgun classes under my belt with some of the best shotgun instructors around, I feel pretty confident with a shotgun in my hands, and nothing in any of those classes has convinced me of the utility of the shockwave style firearms.

8. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

All good points

show up at a shotgun course with a shockwave and you will be using an instructors gun if you want to take the course

not to be mean but when someone shows me their defensive pistol grip shotgun I usually assume they do not know what they are doing

hogarth likes this.
  9. DrewBone

DrewBone

I'd leave it be bone stock and run it for a few hundred rounds and see if you like it before dropping a single dime on mods or accessories.

10. nursetim

nursetim

11. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

12. Gokyo

Gokyo

So my suggestion is to buy this Mossberg accessory...

It makes the Shockwave 100% more effective and pleasant to shoot.

mossberg 590 tactical.jpg

It makes the barrel slightly longer but it gives you more magazine capacity so that is cool. But the stock allows you to aim the shotgun and helps to manage recoil.

13. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Here’s what I did for a pump

1384F252-4620-4234-81E3-824705DC8ECC.jpeg

L-2 likes this.
  14. nursetim

nursetim

Yeah, not really the point to this thread is it? You are not adding to the subject, just peeing on the rest of us. We get you don’t like the shockwave from your first post.

Start your own thread, “Why all the fuss about the shockwave?” Or words to that effect. We are not interested in your opinion of it. You posted 5 times what crap the shockwave is, give it a break, start your own shockwave bashing thread.

15. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

If you’re worried about recoil, try an Opsol adapter and the 1 3/4 shells. I really like the CT laser saddle as well.

16. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Thank you, sir.

17. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

And those that say you can't aim a Shockwave, have probably never shot one. :rolleyes:

Here's Clint with a 12 gauge;

I own a 20 gauge. Several hundred rounds through it. Point, aim, hit target. No problem.

B C likes this.
  18. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Oh wow! You are big and bad. Either you like the shockwave and concept, or you don’t. You hate braces?!? Fudd!!

19. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Thx

I like stocks better than braces and yes I think shockwaves are silly

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. JPARANEE

JPARANEE

Op asked what he should do to make his shockwave better ........ I told him to put a stock on it

He than asked why does everyone say that ?

a few of us told him

sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings

serger likes this.