Shockwave 590 setup help

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Thunderstruck, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

I just got a 12ga shockwave! Been doing lots of research on mods and looking for advice for HD setup.

Side saddle - do any of them interfere with shooting it? I want a 5 or 6 shell holder But don’t want it slamming my hand or anything.

raptor grip - are there sleeves or anything that go overtop for more grip? Rather not use tape or bike tire if there are better methods

is a heat shield needed in any way or just for looks? Like the SPX model has?

I want a laser- crimson and stream light are immediate thoughts but any thoughts from you guys who have ran a shockwave for awhile?

Best ammo? Light recoil 12ga 00 buck flight control?

will also get some type of sling, light, and possibly front sight.... and of course the mini shell adapter for fun too!

2. hogarth

hogarth

Do a Form 1 and, when it comes in, add a stock.

3. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

ckwilson, NJ1911 and Thunderstruck like this.
  4. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

people keep saying this. Is it hard?
    Once you do it can you get a silencer or do you need to do it again?

5. L-2

L-2

Side Saddles. I've mainly been using 4-shell Tacstar side-saddles as the 6-shell version would get in my way when using the slide (aka pump). Now with the "Velcro" type shell holders available, I've got one shotgun with a 5-shell nylon & velcro type side-saddle, too.

Raptor grip. I'm not using a "Raptor" grip and can't advise. I've used sbs's with a full stock (work guns were Mossberg 590A1 14" sbs) and my personal Tac-14 (Remington version of Shockwave) has a Mesa Tactical pistol grip & brace mounted.

Heat shield. A heat shield is ok but does add some weight. My first issued shotgun had a heat shield and it can help in preventing getting burned if you inadvertently touch the barrel after several rounds shot. I do fine with no heat shield.

Laser- crimson and Streamlight. All my long guns generally have lights and slings mounted in various ways. I have no experience with laser designators/sights, however. The last I heard the Shockwave has a slightly shorter fore-end. Mounting a Magpul fore-end may require a little grinding, but will give M-Lok slots to more easily mount lights/lasers.

Best ammo? Light recoil 12ga 00 buck flight control? I agree Federal LE133 00 (8 pellet load) or LE132 00 (9 pellet load) is noticeably more comfortable for me to shoot compared to LE127 00 (full power load). I see on the referenced webpage the average velocity is 180 fps less than the full power load.
    https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/downloads/catalogs/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf

I do wish I would have just bought a short-barreled shotgun (sbs) a few years ago and had a full stock with ghost ring or rifle sights, but just don't want to go through the paperwork, photo, and fingerprint hassle of it all.

Post 4's questions might require and entire thread of its own and would high-jack this thread.

Thunderstruck likes this.
  6. hogarth

hogarth

it would be a separate one for a suppressor. But would you suppress a shotgun????

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

I was wondering if a 6 shell holder would be too larger.
    You said the 4 shell works, how does the 5 shell fit? I'd like at least a 5 shell holder if it fits properly.

I do also plan on keeping the strap with the OEM forend. I do plan on reversing the strap to not have the screw heads exposed - has anyone found a better solution than this or a "shorter" strap meant to be turned around? I plan on keeping my sissy strap on.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

9. hogarth

hogarth

Okay, so I was being a little bit flippant with my answer above, but I really don't get the popularity of these shockwave things.

They are harder to shoot accurately. There's no way your follow-up shots will be as fast. There's no way your reloads will be as fast (tough to anchor the gun on your body w/o a stock). You run the risk of recoil driving the gun into your face. The safety on the shockwave tends to kill the web of the firing hand under recoil. You can put a brace on it, but that's not as effective as a stock (and no side-folding braces, which ATF determined will run you afoul of NFA laws). About all it gives you is that it takes up less space for storage purposes. For home defense use, unless you live in a very tiny place, that seems like not that big of a plus. Rather than cover it in lasers and special tape and whatnot, spring for the $200 for the tax stamp and put a short LOP stock on it. And then save some $ up and take a defensive shotgun class with it.

GlockPride likes this.
  10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Hef likes this.
  11. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I just meant If I get a stamp, can I use it for a suppressor for a different gun or do anything need to do the process for every firearm?

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

Thanks, I've actually already read through ALL 20 pages of that post! Haha... some good info and good starting point.

ATF logic: Shoots and is chamber for shotgun ammo. Is based off a highly regarded shotgun platform in the mossy 590. But no, the shockwave is not a shotgun! Haha... whatever, this shockwaves are awesome and had to have one before the ATF changes their minds on these things.

13. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Everything needs it's own stamp. Each supressor, SBS,SBR, etc. You can put the supressor on anything that isn't NFA without stamping that firearm tho. If you have 10 pistols with threaded BBLs and one supressor, you only need one stamp for the can.
    If you plan on doing a lot of NFA type stuff, or have adult kids who shoot a lot too, look into a trust. If your kids are named in the trust, they can take your toys to the range without you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  14. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Exactly what I'm doing. I'm just waiting on the gun so I can get the stamp.

15. xdmikey

xdmikey

My experience on the mini shell thing is to save your twenty, unless you want to support a vet owned business. I tried it on my 590 and couldn't fire more than two rounds without a jam.

16. collim1

collim1

Tacstar side saddle and Streamlight TL Racker fore-end light are all that’s needed IMO. At inside the home distances you can aim with the lights beam.

ilpirata likes this.
  17. Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark Bitter American

About the only thing I did to my Shockwave was to add a Crimson Trace Laser Saddle and a Talon grip sleeve. The green laser shows up in the daylight and is dead on the money. It fits seemlessly and looks as if it's part of the gun.

GlockFish likes this.
  18. Rock2411

Rock2411

I added a TL-Racker forend and shoot low recoil buckshot and slugs in my Tact-14. Devastating weapon for home defense. I have no problem making fast hits 0-25yds.

19. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

The folks who instantly dismiss pistol grip shotguns must not realize the setup you’re using is a great home/truck shotgun that you can shoot from the hip with great accuracy (put the laser on your target). And it fits in a backpack or gym bag.

oldenway likes this.