Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am 66 but only discovered this 1999 video for the first time only recently. I stopped tuning into music radio in the 90's when I switched full time to conservative talk and news. This video is very popular, having 181 million hits. I've always enjoyed scary movies and the special effects that go into making them, and so too found both the music and visuals of this very creepy video most entertaining. If you are like me and can recognize art when you see it, then you would likely agree that there was a lot of unique acting, editing, and creativity that went into the production of this video.

However....... being conservative, I was repulsed by pretty much everything else I learned from google about "shock-rocker" Marilyn Manson. While this video is pure Goth style theater and entertainment to me, his live performances are often Anti-God, anti country, and sexually vulgar. This artful 1999 youtube video is the exception and contains no such objectionable content. I'm sure many folks enjoy watching liberal Taylor Swift and many lefty movie stars perform for them. Most folks today are also customers of Verizon, Microsoft, Facebook, AT&T, Disney, and so many other liberal companies that hate your guns & your President. So then, short of being hypocritical please don't get on my case here today. I'm only sharing this video with you for it's entertainment value only, and NOT to be political or judgmental.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypkv0HeUvTc

·
Why so serious?
65,914 Posts

·
Registered
43,594 Posts
He's a talented crazy person who is so busy trolling as anti-estsblishment that it's often hard to pin down what he actually believes.

Reactions: First shot

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
NIN (aka Trent Reznor) has some artsy videos if you’re into that. Sometimes goes off the rails.

From a pure visual art perspective, Die Antwoord is pretty out there too. Can’t in good conscience recommend 99.9% of GT’ers try watching off mute though..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Strange to say I really like Die Antwoord. I think they are VERY creative, and I admire them for that. The same can be said for Marilyn Manson. I can't really stand HEAVY METAL, but I like the creativity. Marilyn is VERY SMART, and I agree with most of his thinking.

That said, give me some Led Zeppelin!
upload_2020-5-20_8-4-9.jpeg

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I like Manson. He ended up taking himself way too seriously and toured way too long. I greatly prefer his in-your-face direct confrontation to just causal corporate decadence of contemporary pop: Rihanna's S&M was more offensive than anything Reznor ever did.

·
Semper Paratus
28,477 Posts

I am 66 but only discovered this 1999 video for the first time only recently. I stopped tuning into music radio in the 90's when I switched full time to conservative talk and news. This video is very popular, having 181 million hits. I've always enjoyed scary movies and the special effects that go into making them, and so too found both the music and visuals of this very creepy video most entertaining. If you are like me and can recognize art when you see it, then you would likely agree that there was a lot of unique acting, editing, and creativity that went into the production of this video.

However....... being conservative, I was repulsed by pretty much everything else I learned from google about "shock-rocker" Marilyn Manson. While this video is pure Goth style theater and entertainment to me, his live performances are often Anti-God, anti country, and sexually vulgar. This artful 1999 youtube video is the exception and contains no such objectionable content. I'm sure many folks enjoy watching liberal Taylor Swift and many lefty movie stars perform for them. Most folks today are also customers of Verizon, Microsoft, Facebook, AT&T, Disney, and so many other liberal companies that hate your guns & your President. So then, short of being hypocritical please don't get on my case here today. I'm only sharing this video with you for it's entertainment value only, and NOT to be political or judgmental.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypkv0HeUvTc
this among others have been on my workout mix for years.

·
Giant Member
5,558 Posts
To really enjoy and appreciate his videos I always had to be in a really mind altering state...and not just smoked fatty high, I'm talking big bong high!

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
For Marylin Manson covers, my favorite is this cover of Soft Cell's cover of Gloria Jones's "Tainted Love" - mainly this one is better because it has Jaime Pressly.
View: https://youtu.be/rc5nNYS968k

Much like Rob Zombie, MM's videos are as good as the songs. I saw a live show many years back and it was equal to what you'd expect from the videos - very Pink Floyd/Kiss-like.

My all-time favorite Marylin Manson song:
View: https://youtu.be/PRFJoUBP54o

·
Semper Paratus
28,477 Posts
Saw him live in Ybor city back in the day he attracted some choice and very freaky women to his shows , I was working with a VIP that attended in a close protection role . Very interested an HARD to stay focused on the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IamtheNRA

·
Semper Paratus
28,477 Posts
An officer I know from a neighboring agency worked a security detail for a local Manson performance a few years ago. His pre-show shenanigans were disgusting.
And post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Señor Member
10,018 Posts
I never considered Marilyn Manson anything other than opposite of a social conservative and, after about 5 seconds of whatever that video in the op was, I had enough. I have to say, though, that I would not mind Taylor Swift performing for me.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
IIRC, Manson played the part of a lifer in prison near the end of the “Sons of Anarchy” series....The man has talent, he just “gets off” on being weird!! I guess?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts