Shipping for a "check up"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MisterC, Jun 26, 2020.

1. MisterC

MisterC

Evening, I've had my G23 for about 17yrs now with about 9k and some change on it with no hiccups. I recently took it to the range and put 200 rounds trough it. The last time I took it for a spin was 14 yrs ago.. Yes 14 yrs ago was the last time I went to the range and shot it. All 14yrs, all 4 my mags were loaded and untouched since recently, tt was stored in my safe the entire time. I went through a financial hardship which kept me from going to the range.

I've been wanting to call Glock to send it over to have it checked If anything needed to be changed, recoil spring, trigger spring etc but I've hesitated for a few reasons, one, not sure if they will do it since my warranty expired (original owner) and two, I don't feel "safe" sending it through FedEx or UPS. Packages get lost or stolen all the time now a days. If I only lived in Smyrna

What's my point, oh yeah.. What are the chances of Glock taking it in to make sure I'm good for several more thousand rounds and what is the safest way to go about this?

2. NewYorker

NewYorker

How much time do you have? They arent too complicated to learn yourself.

Sorry cant help on the original question.

3. MisterC

MisterC

Not much, I work 6 days a week 10hrs a day. I took a few days off just to knock the dust off my Glock. I'm pretty knowledgeable with the most basic components of it but if you told me to disassemble it, firing pin etc without having to utilize youtube, I'd be stuck. So far with my very little training but with basic common sense, it looks ok, nothing is cracked or looks "worn out" or looks questionable but I could be wrong.

NewYorker likes this.
  4. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Contact Glock. They have options depending on what you want done.

dbuck47 and MisterC like this.
  5. lineback911

lineback911

I’d find a local Glock armorer and just have them check it out. Even a few parts need to be swapped/upgraded it won’t cost you that much. It’s going to be expensive to send it back to Glock through UPS or FedEx, unless u can have a FFL mail it for you, there a few cheaper ways if your a FFL

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

It sounds like you have a Gen3 G23 made around 2006. Unless you have treated it badly, it is a waste of shipping costs to send it to Glock. (But Glock will accept your pistol regardless of warranty if you send it to them.)

Get a new Recoil Spring Assembly. It's the Glock part that wears out most often.

Optionally, you could replace the Trigger With Trigger Bar and the Trigger Mechanism Housing. In 2010 those parts received improved coil Trigger Spring hook attachment points less likely to break the hook. At minimum, install a new coil Trigger Spring. It's the Glock part that breaks most often, at the hooks.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  7. Nagoya10

Nagoya10

Like Mike-M said, change the recoil spring and if you feel like you can tackle it, the trigger spring. I would add to replace the magazine springs, or the entire magazines if you can find any.

If it was mine, I would change the recoil spring and rock on.

MisterC and shooterMcGee like this.
  8. vmann

vmann Controller

It’s not broke, don’t fix it

MisterC and Joshhtn like this.
  9. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Care to cite any stats...

10. alhovde

alhovde

I think a spring refresh would be a good call. I have the utmost confidence that even the busiest person can learn to detail strip and reassemble a Glock pistol in about an hour with the help of YouTube. Once you have done it for the first time, each time after that will be easier.

List for purchase/replacement:
    Start with a Glock punch
    Recoil spring assy
    Striker spring
    Extractor/plunger spring
    Safety/striker block spring*
    Trigger return spring
    Magazine springs*

(Starred items can probably wait, but it's minimal cost added and you will already be detail stripping)

The cost will be about the same as shipping to Glock, maybe a bit less. And you can keep the pistol in your possession. Good luck!

-Al

MisterC and shooterMcGee like this.
  11. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Dont waste your money, find a local armorer or do it yourself. Turorials and parts can be had online. You should know this stuff anyway.
    At minimum change the recoil spring and trigger spring.

ranger1968, MisterC and shooterMcGee like this.
  12. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Good list, I do the slide lock spring as well on very old well used guns. Only saw one break, but that was during a qualification and the guys G23 slide hitting the ground did not inspire confidence.

MisterC likes this.
  13. alhovde

alhovde

That's a good point! Can't recall ever doing one of mine before. What about the mag release spring? Has anyone ever seen the need to replace that one? Those are probably the last two, besides the takedown block/leaf spring. You'd have a brand new Glock if you did all that !

-Al

MisterC likes this.
  14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The safest way to go about it is to do it yourself.

MisterC likes this.
  15. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

If it’s setting in your safe and it works change the rsa and don’t worry about it.

Chowser and MisterC like this.
  16. MisterC

MisterC

Appreciate everyone's response thank you.

17. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

18. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

What's its worth to you, about $35 to ship to Glock?
    Two week wait, it will be refurbished and returned.
    You work very hard, so what is the wait and shipping to you.
    Peace of mind, and a tuned up Glock is what you get.

Alternative, yes you can do it yourself, but you have to order upgraded parts, which ones, how long to get it shipped to you?
    Shipping charges, tax, wait time.

(IMHO) send it back to the mother ship.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  19. Chowser

Chowser

Where does one go to get that price to ship guns? I know an FFL can use the post office but the rest of us are stuck with fedex/ups.

MisterC, change the recoil spring assembly and you should be good. My Glock 22/23/27 from 2002 has been sitting in the safe since 2008, unshot since I don't have any .40 ammo at home. All original parts. If I ever decide to shoot them again, I'll change the RSAs on them all. The night sights are all but dark now. I retired my .40s when my department switched over to 357sig.

20. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Thanks Chowser, I stand corrected.
    Still saves time and $ in the long run I think to get all the variables, worked out.
    You may change this or that part, and it may not be what you needed.

El Pistolero likes this.