close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Shipping a Handgun

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by TxCZshooter, May 8, 2007.

1. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

What's the least expensive legal way to ship a handgun?

2. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

According to the ATF, you must tell a shipper that you have a handgun in the box. Only FFL dealers can use the post office for handguns. Both Fed-EX and UPS require overnight shipping from the local shipping hub. (Their stores will not accept these packages, nor can they be picked up.)

In my area DHL will accept 3rd day shipments of "disassembled" (field striped) handguns which is much cheaper. Some DHL hubs in other areas have refused to ship guns, so you need to check it out first.

3. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

I spoke with my FFL today about this. A non FFL can ship a handgun to a FFL in a Post Office flat rate box. He must declare it, and insure it.

4. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

And with DHL it was NON-FFL to FFL?

5. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

I'm pretty sure you can only do this with Long Guns. It specifically says on USPS websites that only dealers can ship handguns.

6. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

That is what I thought. She said she gets handguns sent to her by non FFL's in flat rate boves all the time. This was accurate as of 6 hours ago.

7. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

Thanks for the info. Just checked with my FFL. He said he's not aware of that policy changing, but he'll look into it.

Tx

8. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

That's not true. Only requirement is you get some sort of tracking. I ship Fedex all the time and don't say what's in the box. Once in a while they ask and I say machine parts. Shipping Priority overnight is simply not cost effective. For around $20-25 2nd day Fedex air is.

9. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

Switch, do you use next day saver?

10. mastery

mastery

Make sure you insure the heck out of it. One of the guns I declared that was shipped became "mysteriously" missing.

11. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

It is against federal law for a non-FFL to ship a handgun using USPS. a non-FFL can ship a long gun using USPS. The exception to this rule is if you are in law enforcement and you are shipping a handgun back to the factory for repair or replacement.

Federal law does not require that you declare a firearm to UPS, Fedex, or DHL. They have their own policies with that requirement, but you are not breaking the law by not declaring it as a firearm.

So I guess the cheapest way would be to ship it regular ground service, if you are willing to disregard the shipping companie's policies.

12. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

Well the cheapest I've found is DHL 2nd day. Thanks!

13. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Tell your FFL he doesn't know what he is talking about. The law states an FFL can accept a handgun shipment from a non-FFL holder, provided the shipper legally owns the gun. Nowhere does federal law state that a non-FFL holder can ship a handgun using the USPS. Except in the case I noted above, in my previous post.

14. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Make sure you don't tell them what you are shipping. DHL requires firearms go to and from an FFL. Fedex and UPS only require that one or the other, the shipper or the receiver, hold an FFL license.

15. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

You aren't required to get tracking either. You are supposed to get adult signature required, as it is your responsibility to ensure the firearm isn't delivered to a minor.

16. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Don't forget non-FFL TO manufacturer; and vice versa

17. ar15ed

ar15ed

the most feasable thing is to find an ffl. find an ffl that is a good guy. it takes a while, but they are out there. an ffl can ship by us postal priority and insure the package (and the insurance is actually valid if it is needed!)(anything that is insured that doesn't meet any tiny requirement is basically NOT insured!) sending and receiving a handgun through an ffl protects you and the seller/buyer.
    if you search the "for buyer" sections of gunsamerica, gunbroker, auctionarms, etc, you will find huge lists of dealers and usually the amount they charge. there will be some near you!
    after using several different dealers over the years, i found a really good one that will accept or ship for a 10.00 fee. usually a handgun can ship in a flat-rate box (8 bucks) plus insurance (4 or 5 bucks+, depending on ins. amt.), so i can usually get out for 20 or 25 bucks, and it is 100% legal, and every party is protected.
    get you a list of dealers that are close to you, and invest a little time in talking to them. maybe even use a few of the different ones to buy or sell a gun or two. it may take a while to find someone that you really like and can depend on, but after you do, the whole mailorder thing is much, much easier!
    good luck!

18. TxCZshooter

TxCZshooter Safe Sex!

Shipping UPS or FEDEX won't really help much either because their policy is they required NEXT DAY - the most expensive. So if I try to do 2nd day, I can't declare it either.

19. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

I always ship Fedex 2nd day insured for appropriate ammount. It runs about $20-26.

20. mastery

mastery

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Instead of "debating" something that may get you throw in prison for years, simply put a link into the actual law that you are referencing!