Shipping a bike??'s

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 357glocker, Apr 29, 2007.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

I have a 250 Ninja that I'm trying to sell locally but am willing to sell over the internet if somebody wants to pay the shipping.

My questions are: What is the best way to ship to somebody. Do buyers normally pay all the shipping? What preps do I need to make to the bike to have it shipped? What are some companies that you've dealt with, either as a buyer or seller, that you've had good luck with? Anything to be wary of about selling a bike to somebody over the net?

Another question, how do you normally go about letting people test ride a bike that you have never met before? I've had a couple "lookers" so far, nobody has asked to ride it yet but I'm sure it's coming. At the minimum I'm going to follow them with another vehicle. What are your "requirements", deposit, motorcycle endorsement, ect..?

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

http://www.federalcos.com/

Get Secure funds before Shipping. cashier's check,wire transfer cash.

For test rides,Check their endorsement,and have at least 1/2 of selling price in your hand(in case they drop it and say ,now I do not want it.) you keep only serious buyers riding it,and they won't crash it.
    You shipping from a business will save buyer $$ Private address to private address is Big Bucks to buyer. Buyer pays freight.

Good Luck and Ride Safe :thumbsup:

3. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

:thumbsup: I used Federal to ship a BMW from Arizona to Massachusetts. Cost to the buyer was just under $700.

Really simple. You drain the gasoline, the truck pulls up and offloads a pallet designed specifically for a motorcycle, with tie-downs on four corners. The driver secures the bike to the pallet, and lifts it into the truck....done!

He had it in five days.

4. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    I'm currently waiting for a bike I bought in CO. business to business is key ( it would have been $72 more for each residence)even if you meet them at a restaurant around the corner. Shipping for me was $650 from CO-MA and takes 7 days.

You can also use someone like forward air, it is air shipped in 3 days (but takes 2 weeks to get a crate from forward air to ship) price is about $150 less that way.

buyer usually pays shipping, and without cash in hand, don't let ANYONE ride your bike

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have used ACA Transport before. They took the bike as is, no fluid drainage, no nothing.

As far as who's paying for the shipping cost, it's the customer that's who. They can pay for it separately or you can include the shipping cost with the sales figure.

As far as what I would do if I were to let prospective buyers test ride my bike before a sale:

1. Proof of motorcycle insurance
    2. Proof of license endorsement
    3. Key to the freaking car while they're away on my bike.

6. truxrme

truxrme

7. 357glocker

357glocker

Thanks guys. New to selling motorcycles

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Here's another idea: what about keeping the Ninjette? It's not like you're going to make any money off selling it and a second bike comes in handy, especially such an economical bike to ride and own.

9. 357glocker

357glocker

Wish I could! I can't really afford to make two bike payments, maintenance on both, and insurance. I was pretty tight going into this deal. Dang impulse buys! I have nothing bad to say about the 250, it taught me how to ride, was dependable, powerful for what it is compared to other 250's, great for back and forth to work. Don't want to sell it but really no other choice.

10. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    Did you try craigslist? A 250cc bike is a great learner bike and this time of year you may have someone right around the corner that would want it.

pick the town closest to you , listing is free and when I sold my bike I got a bunch of calls from people on craigslist.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ne

11. 357glocker

357glocker

Yep, its been on Craigslist for about two weeks now.