close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shin splints

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dherloc, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Anyone else get them when walking?

Been walking the dog 3 miles every night and after about the first mile, my shins ache. Some days it is worse than others.

Internet recommendations are new shoes, and walking less, evaluation by podiatrist.

I have cut back to walking 2 out of 3 days and back to 2.5 miles. Seems to help but I still get a manageable ache from time to time.

Shoes is next on the list since my podiatrist appointment is not for a couple of months.

Anyone else have this and what has worked for you?

2. VELO

VELO

New shoes are probably a good idea. Be sure to stretch out your calves. Tight calves make the muscles on the front of your legs have to work harder when you flex your ankle.

3. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Calf raises. A couple sets a day will do wonders. Stretch your calves well before and after walking.

4. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I'd get them all the time years ago when I was a sprinter on the high school track team.

Didn't know you could get them by walking.

5. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

6. fx77

fx77 CLM

If your pain is in the front of ths shins, and does not get better with conditioning, U should be evaluated for exertional compartment syndrome. They measure tissue pressures in the anterior compartment of your legs before and after exercese, and take ti from there.

There are many things in the differential diagnosis, but you can start here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-exertional-compartment-syndrome/DS00789

7. Ragnar

Ragnar

I had shin splints a while back, doc said do three things

1) looked at my feet and how i walked and said i was over-pronating and to get shoes made for that
    2) said to stretch calves more. actually had a set of 2x4 blocks under my desk that i put my feet on. helped a lot
    3) said to lift a little weight on the lower leg machine at the gym. nothing major, but it helped a lot.

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I agree with the recommendations, stretching and frequently will help quite a bit. If it's bad when you're at rest an ace bandage will help support the muscles and cut down on the pain. I would also suggest doing squats or something similar to help build up the leg muscles.

9. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Get new shoes.
    Even though you are walking and not running, go to a running store with a treadmill and camera where the clerk can view how you are planting your foot. Any good running shoe store will have one.
    Based on that, they can recommend the type of walking shoe you need.
    If that doesn't work, head to the podiatrist.