close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shift work issues?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by LukeDuke, Jan 25, 2010.

1. LukeDuke

LukeDuke Of Parkside

I am considering beginning a career in law enforcement in the near future, but my wife is apprehensive about the shift work that comes along with the job. I have always worked a "normal" 8:00A - 5:00P / Monday - Friday job, so the change of pace is troubling to her.

My question for you, the LEOs of GlockTalk, is how did your families adjust to this schedule? Were there any issues, either good or bad? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

2. CAcop

CAcop

My wife is still annoying when she refuses to be quiet during the day. I think she has gotten the point recently though when I have to get up early for days after she has spent the night studing late.

The biggest thing you can do to make the home life easier when on graves is to take your OT as comp time if you agency allows. That way you can take time off above and beyond what they give you over the course of the year. I think the last time I worked graves I took at least a couple of days off every 3 weeks or so. I will probably do the same when I go to swings this summer. Even if you can't do anything with the wife on those days off you can at least be rested when you do see her.

3. josepavento

josepavento

Bingo!

I almost always take the OT and put it in my comp bank. I'd rather spend the time away from work then have an extra $100 here or there.

To the OP:

My agency works 4 x 10. After a few years most people can get either Thu Fri Sat or Sun Mon Tues off on graves or mids. A comp day every few weeks means a full weekend off. A lot of people with small kids take the Tue Wed Thur slots so they don't have to spend as much on day care. If you work graveyards with Wed Thur Fri off.... you can go out friday nights with friends, and hang out all day Sat with your family.

The county here works 12 hour shifts with 3 on 4 off, then 4 on 3 off, rinse, repeat. A comp day here or there gives you 5 days off in a row. Do some ride alongs, ask around, and figure out where you want to work.

4. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

I work 7pm-3am Fri, Sat, Sun, 11pm-7am Mon, and Tues.

My wife deals pretty well with the schedule since she knows what it's like (she's a nurse) but it can still be trying at times, especially if you have kids. Best thing I can tell you is to try to establish a routine of sorts, no matter what shift you work. I treat working nights just like working days, meaning I sleep till just before I have to go to work, then stay up when I get home and have family time. Hopefully I'll be going to straight night turn later this year so that I can do more of that.

If you do it long enough your body gets used to it and you end up getting tired when it's light outside. Any way you look at it, it's going to be an adjustment.

5. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

I've been working shift work for 20 :wow: years now, since I was 18.

My wife, who I've been with for 10 years, never had an issue. My rotating schedule actually works out really well for us.

I like the variety of shift work. I'd hate any job with Regular Human Hours.