close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shift on the fly 4wd or not?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by blackbmw, Mar 11, 2010.

1. blackbmw

blackbmw

I bought a 1995 f-150 for giggles and for stupid moments when we go camping, It has manual locking hubs. I cant for the life of me figure out if this is a shift on the fly type of deal or should i stop, hit the button, then continue. To get 4wd to disengage i have to stop and back up a couple feet, otherwise it will remain engaged as long as your moving as far as i know. Does anyone know if this is an old school system or what!! i dont want to caravan thru some mud, hit the button, and loose all momentum if i have to stop to engage, and i certainly do not want to snap a hub or u-joint by thinking its not engaged and cruise on down the pavement after the muddy road.

2. Just1More

Just1More

What does the manual say?

3. blueiron

blueiron

Does it have a floor shift lever or is it a rotary switch on the dash?

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

You're fine hitting the button to turn the 4x4 on at speeds under 55mph, to disengage same rule applies. The front hubs will only engage and disengage when your get out of your plush bench seat and turn the knob.

5. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

That would be a push-button beast.

6. blackbmw

blackbmw

Tis the push button beast! gotta love a $1000 dollar pick-up and the air conditioning even works still.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

With what it sounds like you have. IF the manual hubs are locked in you can "shift in/out" while rolling. IMO its best to shift in BEFORE you are fighting for traction. (i.e. both front tires are not moving/rear end is spinning, you shift into 4wd/hi its a shock to system. Instead you slow down as you enter a slick/muddy area and shift in when all 4 tires are turning same rate. (hopefully not on dry tar) :)
    Some folks say to not use 4wd except to get UNSTUCK. I disagree. I use it to avoid getting stuck.

8. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

as long as the front and rear tires are rotating at the same speed, it shouldn't matter regardless of what type of system it is.

9. blackbmw

blackbmw

I just want to make sure that it is a shift, or push, on the fly system, grinding and **** breaking just arent what i wanna hear! i already have 500 extra in the truck for new stuff, exhaust, bushings, normal crap, but an extra 400 for hubs and 600 to change front axle u joints i wont do. truck will be up for sale asap!!!

10. Kith

Kith

I have a '94 ford bronco, with push button 4wd. Don't have manual hubs though.

The manual says I can hit the button up to 55 mph. The fastest i've engaged it is right around 45 mph, and haven't had any problems with it switching over.

4wd eats a lot more gas, so I try not to use it unless I need it. I'll drive in the snow in just rear-wheel drive, but if I start to slide I just immediately hit the button. Saved me a few times.

I also have to travel about 15 feet in the opposite direction after I desengage to unlock the hubs. What I usually do is throw it in reverse and back up for 15 feet or so, then turn it off and drive away. If I disengage in reverse, I can just move on after, instead of having to do it after I hit the button. Works for me.

Sometimes, when I start it up after it's been sitting for a while (12 hours +) the 4wd is half-engaged. It starts to make a louder sound then it does when the 4wd is normally engaged. I just hit the button to turn it all the way on, then go through the disengage procedure.

I haven't figured out exactly why this happens, so just throwing it out there in case it ever happens to you. It only happens when it's cold out, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I still have to stop and put it in nuetral to get into 4wd low though, and I can't get to 4wd low without first being in regular 4wd.

You probably have to play by the same rules I do (manual hubs notwithstanding) but I would recommend you read your manual to find out for sure. You should always read the whole manual for any vehicle you own, anyways.

Good choice for a truck, and a happy price tag to boot. Congrats!

11. blueiron

blueiron

The manual hubs are there if and when the vacuum system for the 4WD system goes out or develops a leak. If the system stops working, it is usually a leak or a crack in a rubber vacuum line that causes the problem.

12. fran m

fran m

The manual hubs are there to lock 4wd in or out. You have to manually lock the hubs on each side before you can shift into 4WD be it by lever switch or pushbutton. During snowy icy weather a lot of folks keep the hubs in LOCK and shift into and out of 4WD as needed. I would just do this around town, short trips, not hwy.

Blueirons post confuses me. Without hubs locked = no 4WD.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

There's no vacum system for the 4wd in this truck. It's basically an old school Dana44 scissored up in front with manual hubs and a borg manual 1356 t-case that shifts via worm grear driven motor.

I've got a 94' bronco that has nothing stock left on it. I've been through every nut, bolt, nook and cranny. I had an 89' F150 that was the same deal; I went through everything. :faint:

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Exactly how I do it. Crappy conditions abound, and the hubs stay locked in and I just run the t-case. If I'm doing nothing but plowed/salted/sanded freeway and I have ballast in the truck the hubs get undone for fuel economy.

15. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

never shift into 4wd if the front and back tires are spinning at different speeds, like if your in a mud hole gassin on it.

16. kiole

kiole

the 4wd on the fly for these ford pickups sucks. Everyone that was the twist knob i've seen has been a pain to get in and out of 4wd. More so on trucks which you dont have to manually lock the hubs.

My dads and a few of his friends had nothing but problems with the 4wd. Then you'd be at a complete stop and it would say its in 4wd you'd go to hit the gas and BANG! and then it'd slam in to 4WD. To get it out as you said you had to come to a complete stop and then go in reverse everytime.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  17. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Seem that the previous owner replaced the auto hubs with manual hubs. In order for the ft. end to pull , the hubs will need to be activated manually ( ie: manual hubs to the lock position ) . If it still had the auto hubs, you would engage the ft. end by engaging the 4x4 switch located on the dash and the hubs would automatically engage(lock) .
    Now for the rolling engagement, whether you have manual( stick in the floor) or auto(switch on the dash) you can engage the system while moving into 4 high, as long as the vehicle is not spinning or sliding. To switch to 4 low the vehicle should be at a complete stop.

18. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

Order the owner's manuel. Heck I think you could prolly find out on a Ford website.

Mine has the dial on the dash. I keep the hubs in the lock position and use the switch. I don't have to back up to get it out of 4wd.

19. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I wonder if those manual hubs are stock? Ford was putting automatic hubs on 4X4's at least as far back as 1987, when I had a full-size Bronco. Coincidentally, that Bronco had aftermarket manual lockers on it.

On the other hand, my 2000 Ford Excursion had what appeared to be manual lockers on the hubs, but the positions were automatic locking and manually locked up. There was no free-wheeling position. It could be that what you have is similar. I don't know what year Ford started using this system.

Do a little research. Search Google for your specific year and model front 4x4 hubs. I am sure there is plenty of info out there on it. Eric

20. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I've owned/ driven a 4x4 for the past 30 yrs and have had every kind of 4x4 system on the market and have never had any problems engaging or disengaging the system . They are all very similar in design and operation . As a preventative measure I run my truck in 4x4 at least once every other month for a short distance whether i need it or not .
    An auto 4x4 system that doesn't get used but 1 time a year is bound to develope problems.
    If most owners would read the owners manual it states that the 4x4 system needs to be operated occasionally to keep the system in working condition. Most manuals also state that after disengaging the system, you must drive in reverse for a short distance( 10-20 ft) to ensure that the hubs unlock .