Shield vs. PPS

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gatorboy, Sep 5, 2015.

1. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

I have one of each both in .40. Shields are $350 and the PPS is $370. I just found a bunch of 9mm hidden away and may pick one or the other up. My PPS was $470 and my Shield was $500. Which would you get? I have extra .40 mags for each but 40's are not on sale.

2. 45caldan

45caldan

9mm
    I have no use for .40.
    9mm ammo is cheaper and easier on the gun (and shooter) but with the better JHPs, it performs very similar to the .40 anyway!

Kansas1213, deputy tom and Lockback like this.

3. grumpy1

grumpy1

Which ever YOU prefer or shoot better.

I just bought a new Walther PPS 9MM and love it. I tried the Shield but the PPS works better for me and I shoot it better. I also like the magazine release on the PPS that is just like my PPQ and HKs plus the striker indicator on the rear of the PPS that I can put my thumb on while holstering and I will know if the trigger is caught up on something.

I tried just about all the other poly single stacks out there and shooting the PPS for me is like shooting a larger pistol. Easy for me to be on target and a soft shooter. I think it has to do with being able to get a high grip and the double spring recoil assembly maybe but I find the PPS to be a sweet shooter. The trigger on my PPS is nice too. About 6.5 pounds but fairly crisp release and short reset.

The Shield is a great pistol also however. No wrong choices between the two and IMO it may boil down to shooter preference and/or price.

4. bac1023

bac1023

I like the Shield, but the Walther is the higher quality pistol.

As for caliber, 9mm for sure...

CBennett likes this.
  5. willieH

willieH

Most of us don't have the benefit of shooting a gun before purchase, however you know the ergonomics, trigger action and shooting characteristics of each gun. If your unsure of making a decision, perhaps you might be interested in other options of single-stack 9mm pistols.

I have a "thing" for these little guns and have a few by different manufactures. My old favorite was the PPS, but it has been displaced by a purchase of an 'old school' single stack- Sig P239. It shoots so much better than the others that it's easy to excuse the slightly larger dimensions. The price I paid used was similar to your two choices. If you don't like hammer fired guns, then I'd suggest you get a PPS-9.

[​IMG]

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

three words: Polizei-Pistole Schmal.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Just to throw a wrench into the works perhaps a G43. And to throw another wrench into the works unless the plan is to carry whichever you get instead of the the .40 Shield or .40 PPS maybe something entirely different - i.e. larger, if the end game is to use up the suddenly discovered stash of ammunition.

8. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I have both and for me, I prefer the PPS. I would also rather run 9mm in the small single stacks.

9. rv4driver

rv4driver

I have a PPS, and it's been flawless. It's the 9mm model. It's light and thin, and small. Very easy to conceal. For me size was everything. Well not everything, but it's also been flawless and 100% reliable. For a carry gun, that is at the top of requirements.
    It's a handful with rapid fire, the thin grip can jump a bit in the hand. I can only imagine how the .40 would jump.
    With everything I've been reading on the Shield, I'm glad I went with the PPS.
    Oh, and I love the paddle mag release. Always have. Thrilled with my PPQ in 9 and .40 model 1.

10. CBennett

CBennett

PPS but you cant go wrong with either, I just like the PPS better.

11. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

If you replace PPQ with P30 and VP9, and downsize the caliber to 9mm this has been my experience, so I recommend the PPS.

12. drifter2be

drifter2be

Personally, I hate getting "more of the same".

I would say, since you already have a PPS and a Shield, go for either a G43 or Springfield XD-S (springfield has a rebate going right now, 2 free mags and a range bag). You can get a XD-S essentials kit for about $400, so add cost of shipping and FFL fee and you have another gun with 4 mags. (I love my G43 and am still tempted to get a 9mm XD-S while this rebate is going)

13. Glock40man

Glock40man

In the past I remember reading that the 40 S&W PPS has had some issues. With that in mind, I would leave 40 S&W to the Shield.

Besides the PPS chambered in 9MM is a sweet little pistol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

14. sourdough44

sourdough44

PPS in 9 between those is my vote.

15. 1canvas

1canvas

I carry mostly .40 Glocks but when I bought my Shield I went with the 9mm for capacity and control.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Agree on both counts. While I'm a fan of .40 in larger size pistols, I do prefer 9mm in smaller guns.

17. bac1023

bac1023

With the new price of the PPS, its now right in line with the Shield. To me, its a no brainer now.

CBennett likes this.
  18. bunk22

bunk22

I too would take the PPS over the other two, I've shot all three, used to own a PPS. A gun I shouldn't have let go. Oh well...

19. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I didn't realize the PPS has come down so much in price. Might have to reconsider one.

20. 1canvas

1canvas

After 3 years of searching for a smaller single stack 9mm I recently bought the Shield and couldn't be happier. The trigger is great, it shoots great and carries very well. I seen the older Shields had terrible triggers but mine is great. I with my Glocks had triggers like my Shield.